Sign in to follow this  
alanh

Is ABC Radio on 91.1 in Central Victoria in stereo?

Is ABC Central Victoria which is transmitted on 91.1 in stereo? Not just that the stereo indicator is on, but when they play music can you hear different sound from the left vs right speaker.

Thanks,

Alanh

I'm in central Victoria, but as I'm not a fan of Macca on a Sunday morning, not inclined to plug headphones into my mobile phone to find out.

G'day,

I can't believe this thread has been left for well over a year and a half before a credible answer was achieved

The transmitter for 91.1 used to be Stereo many years ago, but has been in Mono when the ABC massively turned off a lot of the Stereo function in their transmitters, including Ballarat 107.9, Shepparton 97.7 and Mansfield 103.7 (I believe Albury 106.5 and Alexandra 102.9 were already in Mono before that)

I'm now also led to believe that even Mildura 104.3 has gone Mono, leaving only Gippsland 100.7 in Stereo

I've found that the Hazeldene/Flowerdale repeater on 97.3 as well as the Yarra Ranges relay on 96.1 are full Stereo. Quite possibly the only ones in Victoria

So, with this information, and knowing the "new digital desks" have been installed, I challenge the ABC to produce a Stereo program feed regionally. As it stands, the digital radio feed in Melbourne is fully Stereo and even programming from Sydney is!

Edited by McDigital

G'day,

I can now update on this situation. The transmitter for ABC Central Victoria on 91.1 is back in Stereo. Not sure how long this has been the case, but certainly wasn't about a month or so ago. Maybe Stereo is making a comeback? Unfortunately, Ballarat's 107.9 is still mono

Meanwhile, the Yarra Ranges relay of ABC Melbourne on 96.1 have decided to be in Mono, despite being a Digital Radio relay of the station (no sport is ever heard)