Sign in to follow this  
Scorchie™

Forum Upgrade - Fixes, Broken Stuff

On 1/12/2017 at 7:11 PM, MrC said:

Has anyone noticed that is very quiet here at the moment ... hint, hint, without some of the babbel.

Many people are still on holidays this time of year with school not going back as yet... Xmas, NY etc.

I wouldn't be too concerned Mr C. :)

JSmith :ninja:

44 minutes ago, JSmith said:

Many people are still on holidays this time of year with school not going back as yet... Xmas, NY etc.

I wouldn't be too concerned Mr C. :)

I don't think you spotted my rather obscure reference to some other matter.:rolleyes:

Slow to load 1207 - 1212 am 14/1/2016

could be a midnight backup, but was posting freely 20 minutes ago, just before midnight

could be a midnight backup, but was posting freely 20 minutes ago, just before midnight

15 minutes ago, mello yello said:

www.dtvforum.info -

Connection failed

Error code 20

The proxy failed to connect to the web server, due to TCP connection timeout

Powered by Incapsula

yep got the same message earlier ...also, that post i made above was only posted once, but has different timestamps on it

edit: there also seems to be 5 anonymous users online which is very unusual for this time of night ...most i ever see is maybe 2

me being one of them

Edited by mello yello

testing testing forum hello forum

edit: and yes it blanked out as soon as i made that post and tried to go back to the index page ... no error just a blank white page

Edited by mello yello

12 minutes ago, mello yello said:

that post i made above was only posted once, but has different timestamps on it

I've seen numerous double posts in various threads... can't all be user error.

8 hours ago, JSmith said:

I've seen numerous double posts in various threads... can't all be user error.

I've noticed over the last couple of years that the incidence of double posts increases when system response time deteriorates. The poster may get no visible response within say 30 seconds, and then rehits the submit reply button thinking the post was not received. In fact the post may have accepted but the system was too slow to provide a visible confirmation of that to the poster, within a reasonable time. (Reasons for lack of visible confirmation could include slow response time of the user's ISP.)

Suggestion

I've thought for quite a while that the incidence of post duplication could be greatly reduced if the system generated an "are you sure message" if a poster attempts a further post within say 5 minutes of a previous post to the same thread. The message could read something like:

Potential duplicate post warning. You posted to this thread only x minutes y seconds ago. Do you wish to proceed?

A warning could also be considered for a new topic created in the same subforum with a short period. 

An alternative approach would be to allow posters editing rights to delete any new post of theirs within a short time of creation.

Edited by MLXXX

nope, not this time,  i only hit the submit button once, it greys out to "saving" until the post is posted, theres no real way of hitting it twice with this new software

other websites were fine and able to post freely

Edited by mello yello

5 hours ago, mello yello said:

nope, not this time,  i only hit the submit button once, it greys out to "saving" until the post is posted, theres no real way of hitting it twice with this new software

There have been unintended duplicate posts for years with this forum but if the latest software really does result in multiple posts from a single "Submit Reply" pressing, that certainly adds a further dimension to the issue. Hasn't happened to me so far, touch wood.

Guest Malich

Something else I've noticed is the times displayed for posts/comments flipping randomly between AEST (or presumably the user-configured offset) & GMT with different page loads - sometimes it'll be fine, then reloading or going to another page shows times in GMT; other times it'll show GMT then come good after reloading or going to another page.

This seems to happen regardless of browser (seen it in FF, Safari, & Chrome) or whether I'm logged in or out, and I think - but aren't totally sure - it started happening before the Incapsula ddos/balancing stuff was added.

Guest Malich

To add to that for totally different reasons: the forum time accounting & display is buggered up in several ways.

For example:

• It's currently 7:55am AEST Monday, 16th Jan 2017.
  • This post was made at 11.23pm AEST Saturday, 14th January 2017.
  • Currently the main front page, the sub-forum it's in, and the post itself all say it was posted "Yesterday at 11:23pm"

edit: it seems that posts up to 24hrs old are labelled "Posted xx hours ago". Posts between 24 and 48hrs old (i.e. up to 2 days ago) are labelled "Posted Yesterday at [time]". Posts made more than 48hrs ago get correctly labelled with either "Posted [day] at [time]" or "Posted [date]".

Edited by Malich

I've had similar experiences to what Malich reports in his two posts above. (For me these anomalies regarding the indicated time of a post have occurred/existed since the major forum upgrade.)

notification pop-ups are a little slow

the last one popped up 1/2 an hour after somebody posted

On 12/01/2017 at 7:26 PM, Ron12 said:

Hi.  I'm experiencing a problem with the forum.  When I click on All New Stuff I follow, I don't see any articles, even though there are new articles in the areas of the forum that I follow and Content items I follow, everything works fine.  But if I also choose Content posted by members I follow, no results are displayed.

UPDATE: I've narrowed down the problem.

If I go to Activity and set Following to include Content posted in areas I follow and/or Content in areas I follow, results are displayed.  However, if I also choose Content posted by members I follow, no results are displayed.

Have been unable to access site all morning up till now???

Yeah, it's frustrating.  I've been in several discussions with the provider and the supplier of the software on how to combat the cause.

When the site was down yesterday I done a google on it and I was readimg the SAID problem on Whirlpool.net but the trouble is it was back in 2007

DTV would have to be the slowest site to get onto and half the time it just times out.

No wonder its almost dead as a forum.

3 hours ago, Scorchie™ said:

the cause.

I agree this cause should not be discussed in the open with certain "members" reading it.

I hope it's not been isolated and addressed.

22 minutes ago, Chopsus said:

So you are saying (or accusing) members of causing the problem?

:wacko:

4 hours ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

When the site was down yesterday I done a google on it and I was readimg the SAID problem on Whirlpool.net but the trouble is it was back in 2007

Well problems have come and gone since 2007. This is one reason some months ago I suggested a donation system, so that the forum operator would have funds for both reliable software and a reliable connection to the internet. 

For some weeks now it's been difficult to access the site and if you make a post the system has (for me)  more often than not timed out, not acknowledging the post has accepted. But after further access attempts one may  discover that the post did actually accept...

Problems or solutions peeps?

There's two issues.

1, critical defect in the code that Invision are tying to correct.

2, routing issues with the provider.

What doesn't help, is comments from metamatic.