Sign in to follow this  
Scorchie™

Forum Upgrade - Fixes, Broken Stuff

On 8/5/2016 at 11:07 PM, JSmith said:

Hey Peter,

In an activity stream (either custom or a pre-set option) there is an option headed "read status".

JSmith :ninja:

You're a saint JS. A week later and the muscle memory multiple clicks is still taking its toll (only thing about the forum upgrade I thought was retrogressive)

My index finder salutes you.

Peter Gillespie

3 hours ago, pgdownload said:

My index finder salutes you.

Peter Gillespie

:lol:

No worries Peter.

Edited by jsmith
spelling

Just a request for moderators. I've noticed moderator posts are colour coded. This is a good thing. However its presumably to draw attention (and raise the respect level) of moderator posts. We now have some moderators that also use their login quite actively to make non moderator related posts (Kazz is one I believe).

Anyway to turn the coding off on these posts? Or should moderators take a leaf out of system administrators books and have one login as a normal user and one as a moderator?

Regards

Peter Gillespie

How do you break up a quote from a post to be able to address multiple issues in individual sections?

I guess the first question should be is it possible to do that and if so how?

Edited by hrh

1 hour ago, hrh said:

How do you break up a quote from a post to be able to address multiple issues in individual sections?

Highlight the text in the post, rather than quoting the whole post...

1 hour ago, hrh said:

Then click on "quote this", which will pop up above the text you have highlighted in the post itself. Bit like WP. :)

Edited by jsmith

On 8/5/2016 at 9:51 PM, Scorchie™ said:

Agreed, it looks pretty bad.  Reverted.

Thank you.

[Explanation for others: As a result of the format settings being reverted to what they had been, paragraphs in old posts no longer display as running into each other.]

14 hours ago, hrh said:

A manual method and not as elegant as jsmith has provided, is as follows.

Cut and paste the text you want to address separately. Surround that separate text with the bulletin board codes {quote} and {/quote} but use square brackets, not the curly brackets that appear in this post. 

Example

{quote}This is the text to be quoted.{/quote}

If you click the preview button you should see the separate text as a plain quote (no attribution as to who wrote the text).

Edited by MLXXX

Aha... yes the former does look more "normal" or nice. I shall give it the old college try at some stage.

For work reasons I'm stuck behind a heavy proxy that makes Dtvforum almost impossible to use. Can barely log in and cant post or comment thanks to all the scripting and AJAXyness. Right now I'm using a proxy to get through the work/home cache proxy & it seems to work, but is there a no AJAX fallback that can be turned on?

I don't believe so. Can you use Tapatalk?

I am having a problem when I click on next, or a new page number, it goes to the bottom of the next page instead of going to the next post at the top of the page. I am using Safari on a Macbook Pro.

next should point to the next post at the top of the next page, ( thats what Firefox does at least)

Edited by mello yello

are there any alternate skins available ? that dont cost extra ?

Edited by mello yello

On 13/08/2016 at 4:38 PM, hrh said:

How do you break up a quote from a post

or, just

to be able to address multiple issues in individual sections?

hit

On 13/08/2016 at 6:52 PM, hrh said:

Aha... yes the former does look more "normal" or nice. I shall give it the old college try at some stage.

multiple times,

then backspace out the stuff youre not addressing

also simple and easy and works across different posts by different posters ;-)

Edited by mello yello

however you cant ignore a user because he may be right though, thats not what it was intended for

and if you do, you cant spread rumours about that person, it kind of contradicts the ignore function

best to just report a user if he is spamming, or just simply disagrees with you :-)

The forum has been very quiet of late. I wonder whether part of that may possibly be related to frustrations with creating or editing posts. Here's a comment Malich made some time ago in another thread ( http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?/topic/224664-nbn-download-speeds-in-practice-fast-enough-to-access-uhd/&do=findComment&comment=2080082 ):

(Is is just me, or is anyone else developing a love/hate relationship with this new editor?)

Difficulties I've experienced include inability:

• to add text before a quote that commences your post. [If your post begins with a quote, you cannot place your cursor in front of the quote.]
  • to undo a change that has caused a loss of paragraph or font formatting, or disappearance of more text than you planned on deleting. [If you type something that causes formatting to go haywire, or text to be deleted, there is no place to click "undo"; unlike the previous platform.]
  • to add in a quote if you are editing a previously made post
  • to edit in an unformatted mode
  • to view in desktop mode on my mobile phone. [Typically forums provide this option. The mobile interface is typically an abbreviated version only of the website.]
  • to easily delete a quote in your post unless you access the hidden functionality (see below). It can appear impossible to delete a quote.

Hidden functionality

I wonder whether it would help to provide instructions on how to access the hidden functionality available with the use of the Ctrl key (to delete quotes); and the functionality to add a phrase from an existing post as a quote (selecting the phrase and clicking on the pop-up that then appears).

It also may not be known to users that they can go elsewhere on the forum and when they return they can resume creating a post they had started. 

Such instructions could be added to a part of the forum labelled "Help". We have a part of the forum labelled "Guidelines" but nothing I can find is labelled as help.

I'd have thought the software provider for the forum platform would as a matter of course be able to furnish a draft help page to offer to a forum operator.

For all I know there could be other hidden functionality. We users have been operating pretty much on a trial and error basis.

Mobile interface

The mobile phone interface (which cannot be disabled) can be confusing for a first time user. On my android mobile if I touch the icon consisting of three horizontal bars (next to the magnifying glass icon) the screen darkens slightly. It is not obvious that a sidebar has opened to the right of the screen and needs to be scrolled to to be accessed. Perhaps that info could be included in a help page.

Lack of post numbering combined with lack of posting time

I have found it difficult to refer in words to a previous post in a thread as there are no numbers to identify posts, and if the post is more than about a week old, all you see at the moment is a posting date, not a posting time. For example in this thread, there happen to be 6 posts by mello yello made on 23 July 2016. They bear no numbers and simply display as "Posted July 23".    [They are currently the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, and 20th posts in this thread.]  So I can't say, Mello referred to such and such in posts 4 and 6, or in posts made at (say) 2.30pm AEST, and 3.30pm AEST. I guess I'd have to actually quote.

I'm not sure why posting times don't appear after a week. Perhaps it is to give a clean look. (However other forums I've looked at do include the posting time. Facebook does too). Personally I'd like to see posting times.

As a positive comment, I note that if a quote appears in a post then both the date and time appear for the quoted material.

Edited by MLXXX

Hi,

A lot of what you ask for is built in, platform functionality.  We could skin and remove a lot of it, but we don't particularly wish to do it every time they change their core functions (which is frequently).

Tapatalk, as a mobile application is also a reasonable alternative for you if you don't like the suppliers' mobile skin.

Invision (the supplier) removed the help system a while back as the functionality they use is fairly common across the Interweb.

1 hour ago, Scorchie™ said:

Invision (the supplier) removed the help system a while back as the functionality they use is fairly common across the Interweb.

Hi, it seems I mustn't get out enough on the Interweb!

Edit: "Interweb" being a new term on me I've just looked it up. It's currently listed in the urban dictionary as " A sarcastic term for the internet. Often used in the context of parody regarding an inexperience, unskilled, or incoherent user. " See http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=interweb

However I'm sure that wasn't Scorchie's intent here. Just an alternative word that may find its way into more general use. :-)

Edited by MLXXX

Wow, this forum is much quieter than what I remember.  With the upgrade, am I missing something?  I'm selecting "Unread Content" and have the following settings -

I am still having problems where I click on the next page number or on 'next' and the next page goes to the last post. I then have to scroll up to the top of the page.

2011 Macbook Pro using Safari, OS X El Capitan.

This is the ONLY site where this happens. 

all of a sudden im not receiving emails for when i receive a PM, or when a reply is posted to a topic im following.

any clues?

cheer

Just for the record.  Forum response has been unusually slow for several days, and particularly slow so far today. Whether I try to access via cable or mobile phone 4G, here in Brisbane, the browser will often time out and/or report that the site is off-line. In fact is is currently just very very slow.

Happening here too.