Sign in to follow this  
Scorchie™

Forum Upgrade - Fixes, Broken Stuff

Hi.  I found that not all forums that I used to follow were showing up as being followed, but worse still, in order to add them back, I had to visit numerous forum pages and configure notifications for each of them separately.  Is there a quicker and easier way that I have missed?

For example, in order to receive notifications for all the Geographical Viewers Forums, I'd have to visit the Geographic Viewers Forums page, then each of the 6 regional pages, then each of the 15 subregional pages, and set notifications for each, for a total of 22 page visits and 15 notification settings.  Then there are the other forums.  In the previous version of the website, you could do all that on one page, just choose that one and that one and that one and not that one etc. and that was it.

Edited by Ron12

11 hours ago, Scorchie™ said:

Thank you for this.  Updated so this should work progressively over the next few hours.

Thanks.  It works well now.

5 hours ago, Ron12 said:

Hi.  I found that not all forums that I used to follow were showing up as being followed, but worse still, in order to add them back, I had to visit numerous forum pages and configure notifications for each of them separately.  Is there a quicker and easier way that I have missed?

For example, in order to receive notifications for all the Geographical Viewers Forums, I'd have to visit the Geographic Viewers Forums page, then each of the 6 regional pages, then each of the 15 subregional pages, and set notifications for each, for a total of 22 page visits and 15 notification settings.  Then there are the other forums.  In the previous version of the website, you could do all that on one page, just choose that one and that one and that one and not that one etc. and that was it.

I have no fix for that yet, but I've asked the question.  I think its a feature ;)

1 hour ago, I am not a duck said:

Signing in anonymously still shows me under:

Who's Online

Why?

You can see yourself in the online list but no-one else can.

22 hours ago, Kazz said:

You can see yourself in the online list but no-one else can.

Thank you.

On 26/07/2016 at 4:50 PM, Ron12 said:

On 26/07/2016 at 10:06 PM, Scorchie™ said:

I have no fix for that yet, but I've asked the question.  I think its a feature ;)

I have a solution.

I noticed that under Free-to-Air Digital TV Reception, the various subforums are labelled as subforums, and you can set a notification at the top level.  However, under Geographic Viewer Forums, the subforums are only labelled as Forums, and you need to drill down all the way to the lowest level before you can toggle notifications.  Is this the cause of the problem?

Guest Malich
On 23/7/2016 at 10:46 PM, Malich said:

Not a fan of the theme's larger titles & names / larger avatars & badges / etc  & the resultant excess whitespace, but that's a personal choice. I understand you Windows types prefer that now ;). I can fix that for myself with some custom CSS.

On 25/7/2016 at 8:43 AM, pgdownload said:

Some feedback on the main page look and feel.

It might just be the format shift but its really suffering from more is less IMO.

For those using the Stylish plugin in their browser, I've created a custom style that cleans up a lot of the whitespace, tweaks a few sizes, etc. Only tested on Firefox so far, but should work OK in others that are supported by Stylish.

DTVForum_stylish_1.jpg DTVForum_stylish_2.jpg DTVForum_stylish_3.jpg

Feel free to use &/or edit it to suit your own preferences.

Edit, 01/08/16: I've updated the style to include fixes to the sidebars & Activity view, as well as some more general tidying up of various spacings & sizings. It's also now been tested in both Firefox (v38.something) and Google Chrome (v52.something). Chrome shows a bunch of errors relating to the "unset" keyword when installing (don't know why, since it's supported!), but it works fine. The only 'bug' I'm aware of is when viewing user profiles - the user's member status (member, senior member, etc) in the top banner is mostly obscured, but is visible in the sidebar.

Edited by Malich

Guest Malich

Over in the other G&M-O/T thread,

4 hours ago, Scorchie™ said:

Double Spacing.  We can turn that off, not a problem.

Just noticed (in this thread) that turning off double-spacing has caused minor paragraph formatting issues with earlier older posts.

I vote for leaving it turned off, but I thought you should be aware of it...

Edited by Malich
Clarification

The previous platform allowed for a display of the topics that had had a recent post, rather than a raw listing of latest posts. (There was a very convenient Android version of that functionality too, which I could use with my mobile phone.)

I note that if a topic has had a flurry of recent activity it will show up in a raw listing of posts multiple times, taking up display space; and you then may have to "load more activities" to get to a topic that interests you (that has had a recent post). 

Perhaps there is a setting I have overlooked?  Alternatively I'd ask: is the ability to get a listing of the latest updated topics a "dormant option" in the platform that could possibly be exposed for use by forum members?

56 minutes ago, MLXXX said:

The previous platform allowed for a display of the topics that had had a recent post, rather than a raw listing of latest posts. (There was a very convenient Android version of that functionality too, which I could use with my mobile phone.)

I note that if a topic has had a flurry of recent activity it will show up in a raw listing of posts multiple times, taking up display space; and you then may have to "load more activities" to get to a topic that interests you (that has had a recent post). 

Perhaps there is a setting I have overlooked?  Alternatively I'd ask: is the ability to get a listing of the latest updated topics a "dormant option" in the platform that could possibly be exposed for use by forum members?

Hey MLXXX,

From an activity stream select "content types", then select "topics". That should display topics only rather than just posts.

I hope that helps and is what you meant. :)

JSmith :ninja:

One might think so, JSmith, but I just tried what you've suggested on my mobile phone and I'm still getting multiple entries for any topic that has had multiple recent posts.

Perhaps someone might help me here ... I posted a response to a comment here today, approximately 3-4 hours ago.  Unless I am mistaken it appears that this post has been removed, as was the post that I responded to.  Can anyone explain this ?

I removed it along with jsmith's comments.

2 minutes ago, Scorchie™ said:

I removed it along with jsmiths comments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you please explain why ?

Because the comments between you both were off topic.

Post deleted.

Edited by Mr C
Upon instruction.

18 hours ago, MLXXX said:

The above is more a comment on the fact I'm finding the new platform a little unwieldy rather than a reference to something about the new platform that is actually "broken".  I've now restated the matter in more detail in what is arguably a more appropriate thread, the opinion poll thread. See:-

On 02/08/2016 at 11:59 AM, Malich said:

Over in the other G&M-O/T thread,

Just noticed (in this thread) that turning off double-spacing has caused minor paragraph formatting issues with earlier older posts.

I vote for leaving it turned off, but I thought you should be aware of it...

It has had quite an impact. As displayed, thousands [millions?] of old posts now have paragraphs that run into each other, making them somewhat hard to read. My instinct is for that not to be done. Even posts created with the new platform before the turning off of "double-spacing" [however exactly that is defined and works] have been affected.

Malich has expressed his preference. Does anyone have a stong view about this? I'm not sure I fully understand what the objection was to the line spacing with the new platform. Was it really so bad?

12 hours ago, MLXXX said:

It has had quite an impact. As displayed, thousands [millions?] of old posts now have paragraphs that run into each other, making them somewhat hard to read. My instinct is for that not to be done.

Single or double space doesn't bother me, but I agree... it's made older posts a bit of a mess.

Where is the "preview post" option?

Especially useful for those uploading photos!

36 minutes ago, 709er said:

Where is the "preview post" option?

Especially useful for those uploading photos!

The last icon (a sheet of paper with a magnifying glass).

45 minutes ago, MLXXX said:

The last icon (a sheet of paper with a magnifying glass).

Thanks for that :) Thought it must be too weird to be true!

Agreed, it looks pretty bad.  Reverted.

On 26/07/2016 at 11:02 AM, pgdownload said:

IMO the default behaviour should take you to the most recent post.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Hey Peter,

In an activity stream (either custom or a pre-set option) there is an option headed "read status".

There are choices there;

Unread item links take me to the top of the page

or

Unread items links take me to the first unread comment