Sign in to follow this  
MtMartha Dan

Tivo Replacement

Hi All

Firstly I apologise if this topic has been cover already, still finding my way through searching.

My Tivo is on the way out, random restarts ect ect...

From what I can find online there aren't to many products that seem to compare to it. What products can people recommend I start looking at to replace my old unit?

Key features would be:-

1. Season Pass (records an entire season, even it changes times or channels)

2. File management. The Tivo does a good job of deleting things to keep HDD space. This is based on dates and times I believe.

3. Online scheduling of recordings.

Thanks in advance

Dan

What is your ISP and suburb Dan?

One option might be an ICETV subscription. Does all the series record, remote record, etc. Cost is $8 a month for the EPG. You'd need one of these PVRs (most are no longer on sale) Maybe the Humax or Beyonwiz

Personally I'm using the Fetch TV. Depending on your ISP you could get it through them but you can also pick it up outright for $400. the Standard Package (free when bought retail). You can add in extra streaming options (like Netflix easily)

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Edited by pgdownload

Ok, So maybe check the Fetch out in a Harvey Norman store or ring Fetch TV and confirm series record and the enhanced EPG are available for a retail unit (does it need some internet access to work?). You'll have to wait for the NBN before you can add in streaming options if you want down the track.

Otherwise ICETV is an option but its a recurring monthly fee. Not sure what other options people have.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

NB You might be able to fix your Tivo by cloning and replacing the harddrive. Not sure if that's desirable?

Hi All

Firstly I apologise if this topic has been cover already, still finding my way through searching.

My Tivo is on the way out, random restarts ect ect...

From what I can find online there aren't to many products that seem to compare to it. What products can people recommend I start looking at to replace my old unit?

Key features would be:-

1. Season Pass (records an entire season, even it changes times or channels)

2. File management. The Tivo does a good job of deleting things to keep HDD space. This is based on dates and times I believe.

3. Online scheduling of recordings.

Thanks in advance

Dan

just as a headsup, tivos can be very easily fixed. theres not much actually goes wrong with them. likely just needs a new hard drive and a good clean so fan is clear ! check whirl pools tivo thread for direct advice. we have a couple of Tiivo's and one in storage. bought both inlaws and my dad tivos.... they are great little thing...and no reason they just cant keep on going :)

Hi,

I have been using Beyonwiz PVR's and IceTv for years now. I am now using a Beyonwiz T3 with the extra channel dongle. This enables me to record multiple channels, I am not sure how many as I have never had one not record. I am led to believe that the Beyonwiz T4 is an even better version than the T3.

I would have no reservations in recommending this set up.

Good thing about IceTV is that you can sit down at the beginning of the week and set records foe the whole week. IceTv gives options to set series and block repeat shows. Only drawback is the PVR must be connected to the Internet.

Edited by MikeGred

I bought a FetchTV Mighty to replace my broken TiVos. Fairly happy with it, in many ways it is a much better box, but in others the PVR smarts are not as good as a TiVo. Picture quality, snappiness and the EPG are excellent.

It can handle channel families, so you can record up to six channels across 3 tuners, and it can also split content so that overlaps get shared on recordings. It seems much better at dealing with the networks poor scheduling than a TiVo ever was.

Did I mention the EPG is excellent ;)

Also supports all catchup apps, and all the subscription apps (9Now coming soon).

Also offers a paytv service, if that's your thing.

Would like to find a way to upgrade the HD.

Biggest thing I miss is suggestions.