Connecting 2 Speakers To 1 Binding Post

hopefullguy, There is another way that hasn't been mentioned, that being .....to wire both 8 ohm speakers in parallel, then connect a 2.2 ohm 10 watt resistor in series with the (+) leg of the paralleled combination and the appropriate (+ ) output of the desired channel.

The negative side of the paralleled speaker combination connects to the (-) side of that channel's output.

This way the lower impedance of 6.2 ohms will deliver more power to this overall load combination than that for an 8 ohm speaker. It also keeps within the 6 ohm margin set by the manufacturer. In fact the combination is likely to provide a slight increase in volume for that channel.

C.M

Edited by Tweet

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm yes the signal arrival would be different.. yes can see that.

hmm so say the left side surround is not wired in series (giving 16 ohms) but in parallel so 2x8ohm will become 4 ohms in parallel.. then add the 2x resistors in the wiring sequence at specific points.. yes? then repeat for the right surround side.

so each side surround setup has 2 resistors.. total of 4

You can use a second avr to control the additional speakers. Each speaker would have its own amp, trim and distance settings. Setup is quite complex though. I'll post more details when i have a decent keyboard in front of me.

What was the reason for the change to the yammy?

Hopefull; have another close read of the manual ; when you zoom the linked jpeg it reads " caution ; when connecting less than 8ohm speakers see instruction manual for correct setting and confirm the setting with display "

Curious like Hakka too why the switch from audyssey to ypao ? You can always invest in a program like REW and just use the yams parametric eq for the sub frequencies and leave the ypao out of it :question: If you did want to add a cheap 2ch power amp[ and having been mentioned] ive got a rotel class d that is stable into 4 ohm and also has 2 sets of binding posts for 4 speakers..

Hopefully the 3075 has a setting somewhere that switches from current to voltage and helps driving the surrounds .

To run the second surrounds from the denon:

The surround pair that are closest to the primary listening position are connected to the yamaha speaker terminals.

The other pair are connected to the main l & r speaker terminals of the denon.

The surround preouts of the yamaha are connected to a 2ch analog input on the denon.

Set denon to pure direct.

Any settings in the yamaha will be applied to both sets of speakers. additional trim adjustments can then be made in the denon.

Distance adjustments are a lot more complicated. If the denon speakers are 1m further away than the yamaha pair you would set the CENTER channel distance to 1m. Distances are relative to the furthest speaker, setting the mains to 1m will not add any delay.

The yamaha master vol should keep it all balanced, with no need to adjust the denon after the initial setup. The room correction still sees one pair of surrounds and the correction will be compromised.

This still isn't as good as running all speakers through the denon, as the denon will allow different trims, distances and i believe it will apply different audyssey curves to each speaker. So unless there is something in the yamaha that you must have, i think the denon is a better option.

There's also audyssey vs ypao, i believe audyssey is superior but never tested it myself.

i actually thought it would be a simple process.. older avrs did this so i assumed newer ones would. maybe i am trying to fit an old, obsolete set up into a modern receiver. i know the 3075/77/79 range are really nice avrs.. maybe too nice for my needs

thanks for all the input... i guess it would be much easier to just stay with the denon as is or adopt the correct 7.2/9.2 set up for the yammy to shine.

just saw your pm re the yammy having better video processing, if using both avrs run a hdmi to each and use the denon for audio and yammy for video.

The dual surround outputs are not a common feature, later denons dont have them, i cant remember seeing any other avr that has that setup.

I think you shoud not try to connect two speakers to 1 speaker terminal. Yes, it could work but all it does is to produce sound that totally lost focus, image accuracy and a complete mass. I knew this from a personal experience.

• 2 months later...
On 18/06/2016 at 4:53 PM, hopefullguy said:

sorry to sort of repeat myself (different avr's this time) but just wondering if i can attach in series 2 8ohm speakers to one speaker binding post. i have recently swapped a denon 3808 with a yammy rx-v3075.

This AVR should have 9CH of amplification.  It can be run as 5.1/4 ATMOS or 7.1/2 ATMOS.  

due to my room design, seating and speaker set up i was running 2 L and 2 R surround speakers. the denon has binding posts for this 4 side surround set up (A and B surround posts ). i am also running 2 back surround speakers from the designated binding posts on the denon.

the yammy is 9.2 and has 2 surround posts and 2 back surround posts. it does have rear presence posts but these seem unrelated to the set up i have... little comes out of them.

Do you have this configured correctly?  And do you have any ATMOS encoded sound tracks?

i understand with the denon the 2 surrounds on each side play the same signal.. that is what i must have for the room due to a large bulkhead in the room between the 2 rows of seating.

can i run the left/right 2 existing speakers in series from the yammy l/r binding post. this will give 16ohm but i am fairly sure the yammy can do that. i know the old yammys had a 8ohm-16ohm switch. but cant find info for the newer model.

thankyou

The 9 channels are fully discrete unless you use something like the all channel stereo mode where it basically divides the room into two halves.   

Your prevuous Denon had 7CH of amplification, but lacked the processing for 7.1 discrete unless you used the analogue inputs.  

There is really no reason to double up on the terminals with this AVR.

I've been running 4 ohm speakers on my AVRs since the late 1990s and never had an issue.    

thanks for the info..

the yammy is onsold for various reasons but that model did not do atmos.. i dont have a need for atmos or in ceiling speakers at this time. the old denon was kept as i run 4 speakers for my side surrounds (due to my room design/seating ) and this model denon has 4 side surround binding posts. also i enjoy the denon sound after setting up and a direct comparison.

22 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

thanks for the info..

the yammy is onsold for various reasons but that model did not do atmos.. i dont have a need for atmos or in ceiling speakers at this time. the old denon was kept as i run 4 speakers for my side surrounds (due to my room design/seating ) and this model denon has 4 side surround binding posts. also i enjoy the denon sound after setting up and a direct comparison.

So you must have a longer room with dual rows?  Each row has its own surround?