Abc1 Soon To Be Hd ?

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HD will be limited to drama and general entertainment - the ABC said that it would not include news bulletins due to the need to upgrade studios.  Its a somewhat paltry offering - must admit to witnessing just one show last evening in native HD was a shock,  

PC9,

What it really means is that if the program is delivered to MediaHub it will be played in HD to air. I wonder if New Years Eve, they have contracted an OB production company to produce the HD program because they don't have an HD OB van of their own?

I agree, no capital expenditure in studios, electronic news gathering camcorders, and editors. What a parlous ABC.

New drama next year will be interesting. Will ABC productions be in HD? Will all pre-recorded overseas prodcutions be in HD?

Alanh

Edited by alanh
Drama added

On ‎23‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 5:18 PM, alanh said:

they have contracted an OB production company to produce the HD program because they don't have an HD OB van of their own?

Most likely. All the commercials and Foxtel contract out to NEP or Gearhouse now for better use of resources.

David Attenborough's Great Barrier Reef as viewed free to air in Brisbane at the moment doesn't look all that great; it's more like David Attenborough's "blurry Barrier Reef".

In the allocation of funding over recent years I'd have preferred it if the ABC had put more money into equipment and resources to permit it to broadcast in HD; and less into what I regard as tiresome and repetitive self-promotion advertising.

8 minutes ago, laurie said:

The management of the ABC prefer current affairs like Q&A as their priority of spending over everything else

cheers laurie 

Is there some phased transition to HD?  Channel surfing over the past couple of days and there seems to be very little native hd. 

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 10:07 AM, alanh said:

HRH,

The ABC used to have OB vans in all states except SA, ... contracting out is the economic answer. Alanh

Yes, I know which is why I said "All the commercials and Foxtel contract out to NEP or Gearhouse now for better use of resources"
And the van they had/have (depending on who you talk to) in Perth was/is SD.

PC,

When the ABC went from monochrome to colour, the ABC was given a grant to buy and install the new cameras, studio equipment, and the transmitter subcontractor was granted money as part of a nominated grant to upgrade transmitters.

Where is the grant to grade equipment to HD?  Fortunately there is no transmitter upgrade required for HD, Mediahub playout centre has always been HD capable because it was built in an era when no SD only equipment was available. So what is the ABC doing about studios? They have already said there will not be any HD news which is mostly what they produce. What is of more interest is their production of drama and outside broadcasts? If they produce anything for overseas sale such as Dr Blake which is a co-production with a UK commercial network, it will have to be in HD or they won't buy it.

hrh,

The ABC did buy an SD OB Van when East Perth studios were built. Their biggest studio was designed with out a control room. The idea is to drive an OB van up next to the outside wall of the studio and run the production from there.

These companies have many HD vans, it is a question of whether they will drive them over from Melbourne, and what price will have to be paid. We will see on 2nd Jan for the Hopman Cup to detect if it is HD or upscaled HD.

Gearhouse only claim to have one SD truck, their smallest must be it, and it says it is HD capable as well. NEP does not have any SD trucks, this is according to their websites, which they use to get business.

Alanh

Yep, the only SD really was from the drone (probably doesn't have the b/w to transmit real-time HD back to mixing/studio, I notice the drone frame rate seemed to be about half of normal too).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Soap said:

Viewing from Geelong TV translator last night, ABC HD PQ of fireworks was excellent. Melbourne fireworks on 7HD looked absolutely terrible and third rate in comparison. Well done ABC.

The fireworks in Sydney were very good quality. I noticed ABC HD was averaging just above 6 Mbps and with peaks around 6.8 Mbps during the fireworks which is double what ABC HD normally averages. I actually enjoyed the music performances from the Falls festival shown earlier in the night which looked amazing in HD.

As for Melbourne fireworks on Seven, well not surprisingly both the fireworks themselves and the broadcast were a dud like they are every year compared with Sydney. Total waste of time unless you want something to scare the pets. Trying to broadcast them in HD wouldn't be worth the effort. Plus Melbourne studio shots and some ENG are still upscaled SD.

It's nice of the ABC to repeat the entire broadcast from last night in full this afternoon.

Over the past week or so have been doing a bit of channel surfing during the breaks in the Big Bash and checking the PQ on the ABC HD.  Show after show, night after night in upscaled - I reckon about 12 hours in total of native HD since the much vaunted introduction on 9 December..............I feel blessed - what a privilege!

.................. PDF link shows the technical requirements .When we did the BBC public tour last year our guide made comments about the technical quality of their programs so i looked up the fact sheet . We could not believe how much better our ABC shows like Miss Fischer looked on UK tv in full HD . So our ABC produces the program to the BBC standards then transmits the same program here in SD !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/tv/production/articles/technical-requirements

from whirlpool

cheers laurie

The link makes the ABC look like a mob of amateurs.

On a quick scan, they do not regard 1280 x 720 p as high definition, they won't allow SD upscaling, 24 frame/s video is sped up on replay by 4 % but pitch shifting is applied to the sound.

"2.7 Use of Non-HD material
Some high definition programmes will contain some material from standard definition originals, and sources which are not considered to meet HD broadcast standards, such as domestic camcorders. This material is all called ‘non-HD’ in this document. To maintain a high standard and meet audience expectations the amount of non-HD material is limited to 25% of the programme’s total duration. Non-HD material must not be used for large uninterrupted sections of the programme, unless agreed by the broadcaster. This includes archive material.

2.7.1 Non-HD material Material acquired using the following methods or formats is considered to be below the high definition standard and will therefore be treated as non-HD:  HDV from all manufactures

Most cameras with image sensors under ½” 

Frame based (intra-frame) recording formats below 100Mb/s

Inter-frame based recording formats below 50Mb/s

Material generated or processed on 720 line equipment

Film not meeting the requirement for HD in section 2.8 below "

The require a codec diagram which contains any locations using compression and the bit rates used. With some exceptions such as satellite feeds which are compressed still above 45 Mbit/s,  This data rate will be compressed on playout to transmitters."

https://www.freeview.co.uk/why-freeview/freeview-hd shows the UK to have 15 HD TV channels using the increased data capacity of DVB-T2 transmitters and all programs MPEG-4 compressed. I have been unable to find what audio compression standards are used for DVB-T2 transmission.

Alanh

23 minutes ago, alanh said:

I have been unable to find what audio compression standards are used for DVB-T2 transmission.

I can't blame you for having trouble in finding information. The online forums are full of clueless posters claiming that audio transmissions are using PCM etc because they are looking at the already decoded stats on their TV's rather than analysing the transmission parameters. No broadcaster on the planet would waste precious bandwidth transmitting audio in uncompressed PCM (as that would be 48kHz x 16bit = 768kbps just for stereo audio!).

Digging deeper they appear to still be using dual stream audio on many terrestrial HD channels with AC3 DD5.1 in addition to MPEG-1 layer 2 (like some of our Australian broadcasters did many years ago). But the UK also transmits their channels on Freeview SAT and they appear to have identical (mostly dual AC3/MPEG) audio streams as on terrestrial, see transponder 10847 V:

http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/Sky-UK.html

I believe due to incompatibility with some Freeview STB's the UK couldn't fully support AAC audio on the Freeview platform (at least not until those devices are no longer supported). So they have to stick with AC3/MPEG1 for the time being.

davmel,

I did not search any forums or wikepedia because I don't trust them to be up to date.

I would only trust Ofcom their version of ACMA/Department of Communications or their Freeview.

I am not interested in satellite distribution of Freeview or Sky because more viewers use terrestrial TV. Also Lingsat is not always upto date or correct.

There is no mention on the Freeview UK site of audio problems in their technical FAQ https://www.freeview.co.uk/support/technical-faqs. MPEG-4 requires AAC which can be surround sound/stereo/mono capability.

Alanh