What Is Your Experience With Warranty Claims (Including Extended)

Hi,

I'm curious to hear what others have experienced with their warranty claims.

I'm in Sydney and embarking on an extended warranty claim for my LG 65".

Questions I have include:

1. What fault did you have? I have vertical line/s

2. Did they assess and repair Onsite or did they take it away? (ifso, please include size)

3. Was your fault repairable or did they replace it?

4. If not, what happened to the old unit?

Appreciate all comments.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by GLO

I've got a Samsung plasma (2012 model - PS64E8000)

Wouldn't turn on one day (outside of standard warranty) - I was given 5 years extended as part of the deal at time of purchase.

Called up, technician was out the following day. ended up being the power module / board and that was the first thing the technician said it would be and swapped out.

Could not have been easier.

It was about 9 months ago.

Yes a successful extended warranty claim through the Good Guys for a Samsung ua46es7000 led in 2014 on a 2012 model.

Issue: Vertical green lines

Inspection: Onsite

Repaired: Yes

Venue: Offsite

Turnaround:5 days

Parts: Replaced CCA that generates and displays picture on panel.

Panasonic 65 inch VT60 - with original factory 1 year warranty. No extended.

A circuit blew after 19 months.

They attempted to repair it once without success. Gave me a full refund of purchase price.

Relatively hassle free, I didn't have to pull any reference to ACCC or legal action. They offered me the full refund themselves.

Very happy with the overall experience with Panasonic customer care.

Hi,

I'm curious to hear what others have experienced with their warranty claims.

I'm in Sydney and embarking on an extended warranty claim for my LG 65".

Questions I have include:

1. What fault did you have? I have vertical line/s

2. Did they assess and repair Onsite or did they take it away? (ifso, please include size)

3. Was your fault repairable or did they replace it?

4. If not, what happened to the old unit?

Appreciate all comments.

Thanks in advance.

Extended warranties are just a way to get more money off you at the time of purchase.

You have rights under ACL, irrelevant of standard warranty periods.

http://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund#what-is-a-major-problem-

A "customer care" plan can make the process easier... but not always either.

JSmith :ninja:

My Samsung PS58C7000 started getting the purple haze after just over 18 months on what was a $2,200 tv

Battled it out a bit with Samsung regarding Statutory Warranty and eventually got a brand new 60E8000

Extended warranty is for suckers ;)

Yeah, except the 58C7000 came with a 2 year warranty so shouldn't have needed any fight with Samsung.

I know because I had the same issue and reported it before 2 years was up, but moved home twice in 6 months so couldn't get it fixed in time. They were difficult to deal with and begrudgingly made me pay a small fee for repair while providing only the new panel for free.

On the other hand, it's worked flawlessly since, except for the dead pixel in the new panel that the old one didn't have.

I purchased it in November 2010 and there was just 12 months manufacturers warranty.

I have been successful with Statutory warranty claim on a 27" iMac after nearly 4 years,

a $1300 gas stove, a refrigerator.

You just need to know your rights.

I bought mine May 2010 so they must have changed their terms later in the year. I definitely had a Samsung warranty card that said 2 years for plasmas. I see on the web they say 1 year now.

Hi,

Thanks for your responses thus far.

My LG 65" came with 3 years warranty. It was purchased in May 2012.

I paid an extra $200 for an additional 2 years Extended Warranty.

The service guys found dead vertical lines in the RED and said they could repair it but the Extended Warranty team opted to provide a Store Credit instead.

The Service guys took away the TV and said that the Extended Warranty team would not release the credit till it was acknowledged by the service agent.

Now starts the journey to find a replacement!

I've got a Samsung plasma (2012 model - PS64E8000)

Wouldn't turn on one day (outside of standard warranty) - I was given 5 years extended as part of the deal at time of purchase.

Called up, technician was out the following day. ended up being the power module / board and that was the first thing the technician said it would be and swapped out.

Could not have been easier.

It was about 9 months ago.

Had same problem with Samsung Series 5 64" TV. Blew 3 power boards. 3rd one the technician wrote to Samsung requesting a new TV. Took about 6 weeks but new 65" UH HD Smart TV arrived. No 3D but never used it on old TV, so didn't care. Can't complain. Samsung knows they have a problem with Series 5 power boards. if you get hold of a few more power boards, keep them as spares as you will probably need them. They are pretty easy to replace. The biggest problem is getting all the screws out that hold the back in. The board itself takes about 2 mins to unscrew and replace, then you have to put all the screws back.

Had same problem with Samsung Series 5 64" TV. Blew 3 power boards. 3rd one the technician wrote to Samsung requesting a new TV. Took about 6 weeks but new 65" UH HD Smart TV arrived. No 3D but never used it on old TV, so didn't care. Can't complain. Samsung knows they have a problem with Series 5 power boards. if you get hold of a few more power boards, keep them as spares as you will probably need them. They are pretty easy to replace. The biggest problem is getting all the screws out that hold the back in. The board itself takes about 2 mins to unscrew and replace, then you have to put all the screws back.

Yep, longest part was taking all the screws out and putting them back in (although I just watched :-) )

Fingers crossed. I've only had the one issue, apart from that I love my TV and have no desire to replace it with the current products available - Visitors to my place still comment on the PQ.

I bought mine May 2010 so they must have changed their terms later in the year. I definitely had a Samsung warranty card that said 2 years for plasmas. I see on the web they say 1 year now.

You need to read about warranties with Fair Trading. To the best of my knowledge if something over $1000 only has a 1 year warranty and it breaks down at say 23 months, the company is obliged to repair or replace the particular item under warranty. You may have a bit of a fight but that happened with my Samsung TV. When I first reported it Samsung said the TV was out of warranty (1 year) I told them they were morally obliged to repair it under warranty. This they did without any problem. it's somewhere in the fine print with Fair Trading. If in doubt, go and ask them. I am not 100% sure, but it is worth an ask, nothing to loose, everything to gain.

Hi People.

I had a Samsung Plasma a while back when they where still being manufactured, and i had problems with a pinkish screen.

I had the extra cover and when i called them they came and took the tv for repair, but when i got it back the picture was worst then when it left my place.

Also what i think is they just got into the service menu and the fiddled with that somewhere and they lowered the brightness and contrast, i think the sub brightness and sub contrast.

I was fuming to think that i payed money so i can have the TV repaired, so i rang Samsung and told them and they said you can go and get your money back from the store.

So in short, do not get bitten by the extra cover as i did, it can be useless, unless the repair store decide that the TV is not repairable.

In any case i refuse to pay over the price of the TV now, and i will use Consumer Affairs if i have any problems.

Edited by Uncle Chachee

To the OP:

I've had two experiences both with extended warranty.

1) Sony TV which had a screen fault (solid black bar running through the screen) at about 24-36 months).

2) Quick onsite assessment at the time of pick up

3) repaired & returned. the whole process was pretty quick and hassle free to be honest.

1) Samsung ES8000, bought 2013, died in April 2016.
Turns out the unit i purchased was a refurbished model (dont get me started).
Fault: Screen panel no longer produced ANY picture. Just a scramble of mixed colours.

2) Picked up and sent to repair agent for assessment

3) I ended up with a Credit for replacement at one of their retailers (JB HiFI)

I struggle to see how i would end up with a favourable result in the case Samsung apparently refurbished TV if not for purchasing the extended warranty.

To the other posters: I would LOVE to know what is the actual process to handle the above 2 scenarios (or any other for that matter) once the unit is outside the standard 12 month warranty. Maybe we could start a new thread on this.

eg who did you contact, what was the process, did you have to fight for it and how ? Any supporting references handy we could use from whatever legislation?

Iam very interested in this as i am now in the hunt for a new tv.

Edited by skuzy

To the OP:

I've had two experiences both with extended warranty.

1) Sony TV which had a screen fault (solid black bar running through the screen) at about 24-36 months).

2) Quick onsite assessment at the time of pick up

3) repaired & returned. the whole process was pretty quick and hassle free to be honest.

1) Samsung ES8000, bought 2013, died in April 2016.

Turns out the unit i purchased was a refurbished model (dont get me started).

Fault: Screen panel no longer produced ANY picture. Just a scramble of mixed colours.

2) Picked up and sent to repair agent for assessment

3) I ended up with a Credit for replacement at one of their retailers (JB HiFI)

I struggle to see how i would end up with a favourable result in the case Samsung apparently refurbished TV if not for purchasing the extended warranty.

To the other posters: I would LOVE to know what is the actual process to handle the above 2 scenarios (or any other for that matter) once the unit is outside the standard 12 month warranty. Maybe we could start a new thread on this.

eg who did you contact, what was the process, did you have to fight for it and how ? Any supporting references handy we could use from whatever legislation?

Iam very interested in this as i am now in the hunt for a new tv.

I would love to see the law changed in Australia in regards to when getting an exchange they bring you a refurbished unit.

For heavens sake we pay top dollar for a tv and then they bring you a second hand TV, because that's all a refurbished unit is.

I wish somebody goes to change dot.org and start a petition, i will be the first one to sign it.

Further to my original questions, does anyone know if the there is any reason why the credit can't be taken as cash to offset the purchase of the replacement TV from another retailer (due to the preferred model not being available at the original retailer)

Thanks

My experience varies from one extreme to another.

Example A.

I just had my speakers repaired under warranty, no issue at all. They came to my home, diagnosed the problem, ordered the parts, returned to my home to collect the speakers, repaired the speakers in their workshop, returned the speakers to my home.

Example B.

I recently had a warranty issue with a network switch. It took 3 months to get a return authority out of the manufacturer, then the replacement they sent me didn't work, which I had to send back to them at my own expense. Eventually, almost 5 months after the warranty event, the defect was rectified.

does anyone know if the there is any reason why the credit can't be taken as cash to offset the purchase of the replacement TV from another retailer (due to the preferred model not being available at the original retailer)

Thanks

Probably as refund from OEM is processed through the corporate account and involves wholesale pricing and sales margins so a bir impractical for OEM to refund you part and the retailer to refund you part.

Edited by womble66

Probably as refund from OEM is processed through the corporate account and involves wholesale pricing and sales margins so a bir impractical for OEM to refund you part and the retailer to refund you part.

Hi Womble66,

I agree with your comments however in this instance the OEM isnt involved with this Extended Warranty Claim that was purchased at the time with Good Guys.