New Samsung 65" Ks Series Tv Prices

Appreciate your thoughts on this set at some time, particularly screen uniformity, black levels etc.   I don't believe that any of the high end Samsungs have full array local dimming in the new models.  

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, pc9 said:

Appreciate your thoughts on this set at some time, particularly screen uniformity, black levels etc.   I don't believe that any of the high end Samsungs have full array local dimming in the new models.  

talking to the wrong bloke, sorry i wont be nitpicking it after ive spent 4.5K unless it has a major problem, best youll probably get out of me is a PQ comparison between my current F 7 Series, particularly with SD/HD/Foxtel/BluRay upscaling ( compared to the old tele ). IviewHD is much better at reviews as such, Ill leave that sort of thing in his capable hands

Screen uniformity is a luck of the draw, my last one was pretty much perfect

i believe the upcoming KS9800 is the FALD model

these current ones have top and bottom edge-lighting to optimise HDR, resulting in much thinner frames, downside is it may introduce some bleeding on the black bars, so am keen to see if BluRay black bars bleed or not,

there are lots of conflicting specs between US Europe and Australia (example US dont get a twin tuner and Europe does)

i wont be setting up until the weekend anyway, happy to give my thoughts, but it will be in the form of "yeah wow" LoL

Edited by mello yello

8 hours ago, pc9 said:

KU 6000  60" ?

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?/topic/218247-new-samsung-65-ks-series-tv-prices/#comment-2079980

65KS9000 @ $4500

(now $4790)

https://www.appliancecentral.com.au/samsung-65-inch-samaung-series-9-65-inch-ks9500-curved-4k-suhd-tv-ua65ks9500w

edit: it went up to 4790 earlier today, now its 4590, BingLee have it for 4499, i think there are some price movements on Samsung atm

Edited by mello yello

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/07/2016 at 8:46 AM, pc9 said:

is this the sort of thing youre looking for

20160829_225510.jpg

20160829_225427.jpg

20160829_225629.jpg

looks pretty clean, no backlight bleed, pretty good screen uniformity, colour depth, detail and black levels

bear in mind those are blurry from a hand held smartfone camera

hope this helps

:)

Edited by mello yello

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 10:53 PM, mello yello said:

is this the sort of thing youre looking for

20160829_225510.jpg

20160829_225427.jpg

20160829_225629.jpg

looks pretty clean, no backlight bleed, pretty good screen uniformity, colour depth, detail and black levels

hope this helps

:)

thankyou MY and to confirm this is the K6000?

On 8/29/2016 at 10:53 PM, mello yello said:

20160829_225629.jpg

hope this helps

There is a dull blue cast across the top of the screen visible in the above photo. Based on that picture it's not possible to comment all that much on the extent or severity of backlight bleed, as the presence of the Fox sports logo would have caused the smartphone camera to reduce its exposure time so as to avoid overexposure for the logo, at the same time reducing the capture of any faint backlight bleed.

However the dull blue strongly suggests backlight bleed. I say "suggests" because smartphone camera sensors respond to different wavelengths to human rods and cones in the retina. It is conceivable that in real life for human vision there was no dull dark blue cast. What say you, mello? Were you able to see a dull dark blue, or perhaps just a dark grey? Or did it really look pitch black?

Personal anecdotes

My 2015 model 4K Sony LCD TV (which lacks local dimming), a KD-65X9000C, does have some slivers of backlight bleed in the bottom right hand corner, as well as a duller backlight bleed overall. I am unable to capture the look of the entire screen faithfully with my Samsung Note 4 smart phone as its camera has a noise level that competes with the brightness of the backlight bleed. Moreover the smart phone gives a quite different pattern of apparent backlight bleed to what I see with my own eyes! It must be that some of the bleed is occurring at wavelengths to which my eyes are not sensitive but to which the camera sensors respond.  [One approach one could try with a smart phone would be to place the phone near the part of the screen with any noticeable fingers or patches of backlight bleed, as that would allow more light to enter the lens of the smart phone, and overcome the noise of the smart phone camera sensor.] 

I've mentioned on this forum before that the black level performance of my Panasonic 60" VT20 plasma (well regarded* as a plasma TV when it came on the market in 2010) compared unfavourably with the black level of my Sony  2013 model 65" UHD TV, a  KD-65X8504A. (That 2013 year LCD TV developed a screen fault and was replaced by Sony free of charge earlier this year with my current LCD TV.) I can make the following comments about my current 2015 year UHD LCD TV and my old 2010 year Full HD plasma TV:

1. With a test pattern that includes peak white, the plasma TV background is a dull grey, visible in the day time. The dull grey background is not unpleasant to my eyes but it is unmistakably present. Reducing contrast or brightness settings on the set does not help. The LCD TV background (at default picture settings) is a duller grey that can just be seen during the day in a room illuminated with dull natural light, if you look for it.

2. With a test pattern that includes only moderate brightness, the plasma TV background is the same dull grey as before. The LCD background becomes darker, and not visible from a 2.5 metre viewing distance during the day with dull natural light in the room. It is visible at night with very dull artificial lights or with no room lighting. In addition some fingers or patches of heightened light bleed can be seen in the right hand bottom corner of the screen. 

One situation where I do notice the benefit of reduced black level is with science fiction. Scenes of space with stars show a strikingly low black level with the LCD display.  

If I were to place the screens side by side, I would need a better and differently responding camera than I currently own to photograph the differences. None of the cameras I currently own has sufficiently good performance at low light levels to detect the light bleed of the 2015 year Sony LCD set without overlaying the image with a high level of camera sensor noise. In addition the pattern of light bleed the cameras detect (if I try to disregard the camera noise) is different to the pattern I see with my own eyes.  I attribute that to different response curves of the camera sensors to how my own eyes respond, particularly the response of my own eyes at very low light levels where the rods may be taking over from the cones, i.e. the human eye response for "scotopic" conditions. 

* Others may point out that certain earlier Pioneer Kuro models, and certain later plasma models of different manufacturers had lower measured minimum black levels reported in reviews. Nevertheless the Panasonic VT20 was well regarded and received quite favourable reviews in relation to its picture quality. (The reason I bought one was because of the 3D performance, which was better than that provided by any of the LCD TVs on offer at the time.) 

[Late edit: Apologies, this post of mine did stray off-topic for a price thread. At the time I mistakenly thought this was the OLED thread!] 

Edited by MLXXX

I think that a reason light bleed has become such a quoted issue is that with certain LCD screens it has been non-uniform. That can strike the eye as noticeable, more so than an even dull grey across the whole of the screen. (Also in some case it has actually been horrible, due to poor quality control, leading purchasers to return their set for a refund.)

When I go to a local cinema I get quite disappointed by the dull grey from the digital projector. For my eyes it's really at quite a high level, worse than my 2010 year VT20 plasma, and much worse than what I have experienced at home with 2013 year and 2015 year Sony UHD LCD displays.  On top of that the local cinema projectors here in Brisbane don't produce particularly bright peak light levels.  Throw into that mix the penchant of many directors to use low lighting for many scenes, and the public cinema experience can lack even standard dynamic range, let alone high dynamic range!

For me the latest model LCD screens are spectacular in their performance; and OLED should be capable of being better again, in relation to minimum black level. But really the performance of late model LCD sets is amazing. There are those with an acute awareness of black level (anyone whose forum name begins with "O" would be a suspect) but for the vast majority of the general public I suspect that black level attained by the latest LCD sets would be very satisfying (even for night-time viewing with dull room lighting). 

On 12/05/2016 at 11:19 AM, HDobsession said:

My space suits the 65" version. Just got a great price through Union Shopper. Think I'll go with that.

your space suit huh ? LOL

On 13/05/2016 at 6:45 AM, HDobsession said:

Picked up the 65ks8000 last night. Very happy. Awesome picture. SD even look good on this.

Congrats, its a great tele, yes concur, awesome even in SD

KS series have a great upscaler, ordinary SD  looks better than what Channel 7 tries to fob off as HD sometimes