Sign in to follow this  
petetherock

Oppo Uhd 4K Player

I've had to send my Oppo back to Interdyn because I started getting many 4k discs constantly glitching yet they worked fine in my Panasonic.

First time they replaced the main board and that didn't help so they then replaced the loader.

From what I read on the AVS forums Oppo overseas always replaced the optical reader and that fixed their problem.

23 minutes ago, duke said:

I've had to send my Oppo back to Interdyn because I started getting many 4k discs constantly glitching yet they worked fine in my Panasonic.

First time they replaced the main board and that didn't help so they then replaced the loader.

From what I read on the AVS forums Oppo overseas always replaced the optical reader and that fixed their problem.

From the many emails I sent them with all the issues, I'm disappointed that they didn't replace the optical reader as you mention. Looks like they've gone for the cheapest fix first. 

Edited by BuffySlayer
Additional information

I'm flabbergasted they didn't test it before they sent it back to you!

1 minute ago, blairy said:

I'm flabbergasted they didn't test it before they sent it back to you!

Well they said they did test it, but probably not that particular disc. As I noted previously, the fault on their report was just the intermittent slow motion issue, but no mention of the far more common issue of disc reading issues the player has had, going back to when I first purchased it. I've had to send them multiple files for discs that wouldn't play, which would then be fixed with a firmware update, but no one else seemed to have these issues, and I repeatedly told them that the reader would make ticking noises. Bloody frustrating as hell. 

1 hour ago, BuffySlayer said:

From the many emails I sent them with all the issues, I'm disappointed that they didn't replace the optical reader as you mention. Looks like they've gone for the cheapest fix first. 

That's what I think  too seeing in my emails I sent them links to quotes that said how Oppo had fixed the problem overseas yet everything they did here didn't fix a thing.

Imagine, what are you gonna do if in a year time or so the Oppo suspended or no longer support for the Oppo Bluray Player which they're no longer making them...

15 hours ago, BuffySlayer said:

Well it turns out crossing your fingers doesn't fix a lemon. 

Got player back today and obviously the first disc I tried was Infinity Wars, as it was the one that wouldn't spin up before. 

Tried twice, Oppo went to blue screen and became unresponsive to any command. Had to turn off and on again. So I cleaned the disc again, and tried a 3rd time, same result. On the 4th attempt, a small, short-lived miracle happened and the disc spun up. I watched about 5 minutes, then stopped the movie and went back to the main menu. Upon selecting the disc to play again, you guessed it, blue screen. 

On the bright side, I managed to watch a movie tonight, just wasn't the one I wanted to watch. 

Another annoyance is that the fault on the repair paperwork listed the random slow motion and chapter menu popping up, but nothing of the much more detailed information I'd provided about the ticking noise of the laser and overly sensitive disc reading. Did they even check the disc reading mechanism? Who knows. 

I've emailed Interdyn to ask for a replacement or a refund. Not happy Jan 🤬

very unfortunate to hear. sloppy service... nothing much else to say. locally they can be quite variable. one fruit loop I was dealing with at interdyn initially when had the 203 I strongly felt I might as well be putting my comments on post it notes on the back wall of the house so they could blow away with the wind. complete waste of space. the actual tech I was in contact with when I logged a problem though was fantastic responsive and had a firmware update initiated to fix issue I had in early days straight way. I've had no problems with the 205 since purchase and surely I hope and wish you can get to point where its the same to. can you take video footage. I would with smartphone and send it to them so you have proof of issue. shouldn't have to but its plain pathetic and a waste of everyones time and their money to with just doing half fixes rather than a complete fix as seems is needed here ! 

Well I've just received an email saying that the problem is likely to be the disc, and all the disc issues experienced are due to the manufacturing process & can only be fixed with a firmware update. In fact they are "99% it's not the disc reader"!! 

Well, I politely disagreed, and pointed out that if it is the disc, why does it play fine in other players? And if I have to rely on a firmware update every time I buy a new disc, how long until my player is nothing but a paperweight? 

I then pointed out that the only fix, both here and overseas, has been to replace the optical reader. I really want to punch someone right now. 

1 hour ago, BuffySlayer said:

Well I've just received an email saying that the problem is likely to be the disc, and all the disc issues experienced are due to the manufacturing process & can only be fixed with a firmware update. In fact they are "99% it's not the disc reader"!! 

Well, I politely disagreed, and pointed out that if it is the disc, why does it play fine in other players? And if I have to rely on a firmware update every time I buy a new disc, how long until my player is nothing but a paperweight? 

I then pointed out that the only fix, both here and overseas, has been to replace the optical reader. I really want to punch someone right now. 

can  I ask where is your retailer in all this ? or have they washed hands off ? ultimately if taking to ACCC it will have to be the  retailer you take to task and thats who have contract of sale with and responsible for after sales :)

2 hours ago, BuffySlayer said:

I sent another email to Interdyn saying their previous two fixes still hadn't solved the problem and they haven't even replied. They are hopeless.

I’ve never liked the optical drive on the oppo 105.  The Sony range in its era did a better job at reading discs, much better job!  To hear that the oppo decided to go there own way on the optical drive in the 203/205  is what made me delayed my decision in getting one, and as soon as @betty boop returned his 203 my suspicions was confirmed.  The Firmware was enough to piss anyone off, as I constantly felt like a guinea pig,  with the final FW almost 16mths ago.   

Im totally surprised that they didn’t replaced the optical drive,   I would be forwarding them a video link of read errors on the player and how it work flawlessly on an opposition player with the same disc, or forward the disc and the player at there cost to examine!  Then if they still blaming that it’s disc manufacturing, give them notice on the time frame for a 100% resolution  or a refund and that you will be referring this to Consumer Affairs and case will be lodge.  

They have gone down this road knowing very well that there are issues with the optical unit and there technical notices has possible instructed them to either replaced that optical drive and if that is not possible replaced the pcb, but unless you open the player up and indiscriminately marked every component, how do you know they replaced the pcb,  afterall you are still having the issue!  Another possibilty is that they replaced the pcb becuase they are out of optical drives and there are no more being manufacturered!  Just saying!

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

can  I ask where is your retailer in all this ? or have they washed hands off ? ultimately if taking to ACCC it will have to be the  retailer you take to task and thats who have contract of sale with and responsible for after sales :)

I've dealt directly with Interdyn the whole time, as I've been sending files for discs that won't play for months now. The retailer doesn't even know at this stage. 

Just now, BuffySlayer said:

I've dealt directly with Interdyn the whole time, as I've been sending files for discs that won't play for months now. The retailer doesn't even know at this stage. 

If it’s still under warranty, get the retailer involved,   Take both your oppo and the disc that it’s failing to read and show them what’s happening,  even take the oppositions player you have that the same disc work flawlessly.  

1 minute ago, BuffySlayer said:

Well my suggestion you better get them involved if your next step to take this to accc. It’s always worth dealing through retailer as one I use told me flat out after 2 problems with another brand player that if happened again they have 3 strikes out policy ie have choice if money back or swap fir something else :)

a good retailer will also go in bat for you. Do you don’t have to deal with agents who don’t know A from elbow ... which is not your problem :)

I’d want a full refund, or something I know works.......  no 3 strikes for me,  it’s fixed the 1st time round or full refund.   I don’t need to persevere with junk,  Im bold enough as it is, no more hair left to rip out!  LOL! 

Well my email was quite strongly worded, and I said I want the disc reader replaced, end of story. So if they refuse, I'll get the retailer involved. 

Sorry to hear of anyone having operational issues with the players.

As an FYI, I've seen people asking $5k USD for these nowadays. Be worth holding onto or capitalise on your original buy if anyone's looking to switch players. Screenshot_20190502-121902.jpeg

some of those prices are just wishful thinking who in right mind is going to pay $8k ? no one ... hopefully you'd think

no plans selling one ...not even for 4-$5k because what would you replace it with for a universal ?  ... only thing remotely close is the top line pioneer and thats $4k there abouts ? so whats the point ?  and you'd need to get the pio modded which all up  isnt cheap anyways ? 

Completely agree. Glad I bought mine new when it was first released and at a reasonable price

I’ve had no problem with my Oppo 205 I purchased new just over 12 months ago, I agree not much out there to replace it with that is equivalent, I could downgrade to the Panasonic 9000, but what’s the point.

Touch wood, I hope I get the same reliable service out of the Oppo 205 that I got from my Oppo 95 (had it over 6 years) and on sold it for $450.

JDH

Edited by jdh500