Sign in to follow this  
petetherock

Oppo Uhd 4K Player

Has anybody here modded an Oppo 203 with Linear power supply? Im not interested in using one for audio playback ( separate Hifi System) but I am keen to know if anyone has observed improvements in picture quality as a result.  There are various PSU's available that look similar to this:

5784e7fe7b87571e.jpg.8b67663b49c73d0c6df540b20a62034d.jpg

I am having trouble with my 203,I'm watching TV series blind spot ,it is dtsma 5.1
But oppo will only output to my marantz pcm 2.0?
Have tried changing audio output setting from auto to bitstream doesn't make any difference ?help please
Cheers Muri

6 minutes ago, muriwai said:

I am having trouble with my 203,I'm watching TV series blind spot ,it is dtsma 5.1
Have tried changing audio output setting from auto to bitstream doesn't make any difference ?help please
Cheers Muri

@muriwai Have you checked that you have the correct audio selected in the disc menu?

4 minutes ago, muriwai said:

Cheers Muri

have checked audio on disc selected muri ? just some times they default to pcm 2.0

also wonder if a print error on sound track does happen

no idea on specific series sorry

and oh ... havent put the dvd/blu-ray in by mistake ? have done that before :D 

Disc menu only one option
Dtsma 5.1
Long hold of info button on oppo confirms this as the audio,then when I scroll down to bottom of that info it shows output of pcm 2.0
It's doing my head in

Do you have secondary audio turned off?  If no then turn it off.

Only thought is to check any 2ch mixdown settings Muri .

4 hours ago, muriwai said:

Disc menu only one option
Dtsma 5.1
Long hold of info button on oppo confirms this as the audio,then when I scroll down to bottom of that info it shows output of pcm 2.0
It's doing my head in

hmm can imagine doing head in. is this only disc this happens on muri ? that would be odd. or some setting changed recently ? 

otherwise i hope cwt's onto something.

ps what is marantz info saying ? 

Hi cwt,the down mix I had thought of but can not find that option anywhere in oppo audio menu ?
My marantz 7702 shows pcm 2.0 incoming signal
[emoji19]

Going away for long weekend so will have a play again early next week
Cheers

How is your Oppo connected to your AVR?  Just HDMI?

Does this issue occur with other discs?

Just HDMI ,ran out of time to check another disc,will do next week
Also couldn't find link to new firmware on interdyn site only the beta that I already have ?
Cheers muri

I have my Oppo set to alert me for new firmware so it just came up on the screen and it updated. Check your settings to see if you have enabled firmware notification.

Hi Simon,no internet at home so rely on interdyn web site and do via USB thumb stick,the new firmware not on their web site yet ?

15 minutes ago, muriwai said:

Hi Simon,no internet at home so rely on interdyn web site and do via USB thumb stick,the new firmware not on their web site yet ?

No, Interdyn haven't loaded it on to their website yet.

Muri, if you're at work with internet access, maybe create a ticket with them to get them to upload it. :)

Last time I did that when I was waiting for the beta to hit their website. They replied the same day that it should be up within the next few days.

Then it turned up about an hour later.

Leading in to the long weekend might also mean that everyone is already down the pub.:lol:

7 hours ago, muriwai said:

Hi cwt,the down mix I had thought of but can not find that option anywhere in oppo audio menu ?
My marantz 7702 shows pcm 2.0 incoming signal
emoji19.png

The downmix options are only applicable to the multichannel outputs it looks from the manual muri [p65] except for the sp/dif which you aren't using ; so its a dead end sorry .

Speaker Configuration mainly applies to the multi-channel analog audio outputs. However, when S/PDIF Output is set to LPCM in the Setup Menu, its signal becomes a down-mixed stereo version of the multi-channel signal that is sent to the multi-channel analog audio outputs. As a result, the LPCM signal from the coaxial and optical output is affected by the settings in Speaker Configuration.

Another forced downmix can occur if your hdmi resolution setting is too low ; that's a long shot I imagine ;)  

If you use HDMI to connect audio to an HDMI A/V receiver or audio processor, it is important  that you choose 720p or higher HDMI output resolution when playing high resolution audio content (DVD-Audio, SACD, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio). According to the HDMI specification, the bandwidth available for audio is proportional to the total bandwidth used by video. At 480p/576p resolution, the HDMI specification can only support 2 channels of audio with high sample rate (up to 192kHz), or 8 channels of audio with standard sample rate (up to 48kHz). If you play high resolution audio content at the 480p/576p resolution, you may get reduced audio resolution, incomplete audio channels, or even no audio/video output at all. Choosing a higher output resolution such as 720p or above allows enough bandwidth for all high sample rate audio channels

Have tried both auto and bitstream ,the dtsma audio track 5.1 kept going over the HDMI lead as 2.0 pcm
Got me stumped !

Hi Peter,I found the options and tried all 3,no matter the option chosen the oppo continued to "down mix" the audio from 5.1 dtsma to pcm 2.0!will check when back home next week what cwt suggested re the video output,maybe a button has been pushed on the remote changing the video output,not sure on that but it may be the reason ?
Will keep informed on my progress
Cheers

Since installing the new firmware the player freezes at chapter 7 just as they arrive in Chicago on Bladerunner 2049(4K disc) and skips automatically to chapter 14. I’ve checked the disc no issues. I’ve played this movie all the way through with no issues before. I shut down the player and went straight to chapter 8 (as well )and the picture distorts and skips to chapter 14. Can someone test this disc with the new firmware please. 

Edited by SimonNo10

52 minutes ago, SimonNo10 said:

Since installing the new firmware the player freezes at chapter 7 just as they arrive in Chicago on Bladerunner 2049(4K disc) and skips automatically to chapter 14. I’ve checked the disc no issues. I’ve played this movie all the way through with no issues before. I shut down the player and went straight to chapter 8 (as well )and the picture distorts and skips to chapter 14. Can someone test this disc with the new firmware please. 

Yeah , i am hearing many users are having issues with the "Official" firmware release!!!!    For the time being i am sticking to the "Beta" ....havnt had any issues at all with it !!

have played 4 discs since the official update no issue here.

but following the previous update I was reminded to do two things I used to do previously with every update.

ie full factory reset and clear persistent memory. something will make sure i do with every update :)

one more step and means I need to change 3 settings to how have them. but worth doing I think.

12 hours ago, :) al said:

have played 4 discs since the official update no issue here.

but following the previous update I was reminded to do two things I used to do previously with every update.

ie full factory reset and clear persistent memory. something will make sure i do with every update :)

one more step and means I need to change 3 settings to how have them. but worth doing I think.

So AL can you test Bladerunner 2049 please and see if you have the same issue as me. Also I don't understand your last sentence? The other things that doesn't work is I have switched off Auto Resume but still does it.

Edited by SimonNo10