Sign in to follow this  
petetherock

Oppo Uhd 4K Player

I was just joking.

Couldn't be happier with the 203 whether displaying a picture or how it operates. Can't fault it.

I've had one of the Oppo 83's for many years and always enjoyed it. 

2 minutes ago, Sime said:

Fingers crossed :unsure:lol

I just did mine, quick, easy and painless as usual.  :D

What do people think the best output settings are from their experience?

Guest Sime

Mines all on default. Once my 4K tv arrives and Mike from Melbourne comes over to calibrate it, he'll take care of the 205's settings also. 

Well you jinxed me. I get Cannot connect to server error. Never had a problem before. Will try again today, and if I get the same error I will put on usb. 

5 hours ago, Sime said:

Mines all on default. Once my 4K tv arrives and Mike from Melbourne comes over to calibrate it, he'll take care of the 205's settings also. 

Mike from Melbourne as in AVICAL?  He calibrated my TV in Feb this year.   May well be the best bang buck upgrade I've ever done....and coming from someone who appreciates audio more than video that's a huge statement for me to make.  Good luck with it but I'm sure you'll be very happy with results; Mike is great.

What is the startup time like? I have their 103au, and was always annoyed at the speed of operation.

58 minutes ago, Sime said:

The 205 is super quick. 10-15secs tops. 

52 minutes ago, duke said:

Quick even in Eco.

Thanks. It was particularly painful on the 103 when you have to power cycle it to change region...

Anyone try the external multi region mod? I like the sound of that one, but searching online I can't find how complicated the region change procedure is.

1 hour ago, Mobe1969 said:

Thanks. It was particularly painful on the 103 when you have to power cycle it to change region...

Anyone try the external multi region mod? I like the sound of that one, but searching online I can't find how complicated the region change procedure is.

probably dont want to try an oppo 95 then. mine used to be off doing all sorts of things while booting up. couldnt even hit eject would be non responsive :D

21 minutes ago, :) al said:

probably dont want to try an oppo 95 then. mine used to be off doing all sorts of things while booting up. couldnt even hit eject would be non responsive :D

Ugh. Same as the 103. Honestly I really don't like the 103, and only use it when I want to subtitle shift. The AU model has a really rubbish quality laser assembly - have a look at pictures of it compared to the US standard model. Most laser assemblies are on dual stainless tracks. The aus one has a cheap plastic tray with one stainless bearing track, the other just resting on plastic. I had too many problems playing discs that would work fine on my playstations. And the speed.

I was glad to see the 203/205 seem to have a more standard Oppo laser assembly, the bdl1601. I've been looking for a teardown on it though

5 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Ugh. Same as the 103. Honestly I really don't like the 103, and only use it when I want to subtitle shift. The AU model has a really rubbish quality laser assembly - have a look at pictures of it compared to the US standard model. Most laser assemblies are on dual stainless tracks. The aus one has a cheap plastic tray with one stainless bearing track, the other just resting on plastic. I had too many problems playing discs that would work fine on my playstations. And the speed.

I was glad to see the 203/205 seem to have a more standard Oppo laser assembly, the bdl1601. I've been looking for a teardown on it though

Glad I sold my 103d Mobe ; I didn't know about the disc drive ; always booted the oppo last after the projector due to edid handshake times :cool: Yes they have improved things with the new faster quad core processing chip and totally new loader mechanism ..

Probably why theres a few comments about disc freezing if its related ?

5 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

can you point to those pictures ?

au and us are supposed to be the same.

Edited by michaelw

6 minutes ago, cwt said:

Glad I sold my 103d Mobe ; I didn't know about the disc drive ; always booted the oppo last after the projector due to edid handshake times :cool: Yes they have improved things with the new faster quad core processing chip and totally new loader mechanism ..

Probably why theres a few comments about disc freezing if its related ?

Freeze on the 103 or the 203/5?? Yeah I had that on the 103, and just discs it stopped reading part way into the disc, and would play fine elsewhere  Just woeful.

Well I'm glad they seem to have gotten their act together on the UHD series!

1 minute ago, michaelw said:

can you point to those pictures ?

au and us are supposed to be the same.

Sure. I have them saved. I got surprised as I disasembled mine after som many disk issues I thought maybe some dust was in there. And the drive I saw didn't correspond to the pics for spares for the normal 103

The decent one is the normal one, the plastic crud the aussie model. I contacted oppo on it to see if you could swap it. They said no - after I sent them the pictures. Their support  didn't seem to know they differed. But the aussie one is just utter garbage.

103standard.png

103auJunk.png

10 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Freeze on the 103 or the 203/5?? Yeah I had that on the 103, and just discs it stopped reading part way into the disc, and would play fine elsewhere  Just woeful.

Well I'm glad they seem to have gotten their act together on the UHD series!

To be more precise ; on the 203/5 ; primarily from reading the 203 thread @ avs forums and noticed it popped up from Seandres too. Any correlation with the new disc drive is an open question I hasten to add . I just don't like being a beta tester and the track record on the 4k models release seems a bit rushed  but Ime sure it will improve with each firmware [if it hasn't already]  

2 minutes ago, cwt said:

To be more precise ; on the 203/5 ; primarily from reading the 203 thread @ avs forums and noticed it popped up from Seandres too. Any correlation with the new disc drive is an open question I hasten to add . I just don't like being a beta tester and the track record on the 4k models release seems a bit rushed  but Ime sure it will improve with each firmware [if it hasn't already]  

Hmm, that does not give me a good feeling... I'd like to get a look inside the laser chassis on the new universal drive. I just can't find a real teardown.

50 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

Sure. I have them saved. I got surprised as I disasembled mine after som many disk issues I thought maybe some dust was in there. And the drive I saw didn't correspond to the pics for spares for the normal 103

The decent one is the normal one, the plastic crud the aussie model. I contacted oppo on it to see if you could swap it. They said no - after I sent them the pictures. Their support  didn't seem to know they differed. But the aussie one is just utter garbage.

103standard.png

103auJunk.png

thanks for the pix.

that is some difference, like two different players.

now i'm tempted to peek under the hood of my 103au

:D