Sign in to follow this  
petetherock

Oppo Uhd 4K Player

2 minutes ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

Question!

The Oppo 203 having a Softer picture on 4K compared to the Panasonic DMP-900 is this a issue that firmware will fix or its a hardware issue.

Or is the Oppo simply faithfully delivering the 4K content, whereas the Panasonic is processing it to increase the apparent sharpness? I apologize for not reading up on this to be able to answer this question myself.

The new FW has fixed some of the issues for me:

Able to pass a signal from the Oppo to my Marantz amp to a plasma FHD TV.

But I still have issues with some discs - eg 13 Hours, it stutters around chapter 15, when they begin hurling petrol bombs into the compound, anyone else having this?

On 1/19/2017 at 3:55 PM, JSmith said:

Region changeable... cheap as;

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/tv-home-entertainment/players-recorders/laser/laser-bd3000-multi-region-blu-ray-player/808819/

Have purchased 2 of these for relatives/friends... still going strong. If it's DOA at least JB have a good return/swap policy. :)

JSmith :ninja:

Thanks mates, grabbed one off Officeworks, cheers. 

Pity it has lost the 7.1 out, but it's ok.

Any idea if it does 3D or is it 1.4 HDMI? 

6 minutes ago, petetherock said:

Any idea if it does 3D

Nah, the older one did... but this newer model has 3D removed I think;

http://www.laserco.com.au/BLU-BD10803D-blu-ray-player-bd-live-hdmi-3d-3-year-warranty

10 minutes ago, petetherock said:

is it 1.4 HDMI?

Not sure, but this is stated in the manual;

In order to play multi-channel audio for all formats, the receiver must support HDMI v1.1 or later. For Blu-ray Disc, a receiver that supports HDMI v1.3 with decoding capability for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio is preferred. Please check the specifications of your receiver to ensure that it meets the requirements.

10 hours ago, MLXXX said:

Or is the Oppo simply faithfully delivering the 4K content, whereas the Panasonic is processing it to increase the apparent sharpness? I

Quite plausible and some have suggested as much;

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2707945-panasonic-dmp-ub900-versus-oppo-udp-203-uhd-blu-ray-players-all-comparisons.html#post49745113

When it comes to UHD, I prefer the 203. IMO, it produces a better picture on OLED. I can set the OPPO to 4:4:4 12 bit and have no banding like the Panny does. Sure, I can turn off deep color on the Panny to reduce it, but why should I have to, when it's not required on the OPPO?. I can not tell any difference on which one is "sharper".

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2707945-panasonic-dmp-ub900-versus-oppo-udp-203-uhd-blu-ray-players-all-comparisons.html#post49700201

I wonder if the Panny is employing some kind of enhancement similar to LG Oled settings called Super Resolution. You have the option to turn it low, medium or high........it sharpens blurry or unclear areas for a sharper image. OPPO's image is already sharp but turning this on when up close you can see the difference it makes on blurry spots.

Another point, are people calibrating their devices to accommodate the new input source prior to comparison? Seems odd there is such a difference in PQ...

16 minutes ago, JSmith said:

Nah, the older one did... but this newer model has 3D removed I think;

http://www.laserco.com.au/BLU-BD10803D-blu-ray-player-bd-live-hdmi-3d-3-year-warranty

Not sure, but this is stated in the manual;

In order to play multi-channel audio for all formats, the receiver must support HDMI v1.1 or later. For Blu-ray Disc, a receiver that supports HDMI v1.3 with decoding capability for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio is preferred. Please check the specifications of your receiver to ensure that it meets the requirements.

In the faq section on the website is this japenglish mishmash j that implies hdmi 1.4 with ARC referenced :) 3d frame packed should be fine .

Why 3D HDMI cable used for Blu Ray players? Because there is a return signal carried by HDMI 1.4 which the Blu Ray player needs in order to communicate with the 3D TV on how to display the image.
  • If the Blu Ray doesn’t receive this, then the following message from the disk will be displayed.

•  

BLU-BD10803D Bluray player doesn’t work with my TV.

1. The TV set needs to be 3D built-in

2.HDMI cable needs to be V1.4 or above

3. The movie has to be 3D

1 minute ago, cwt said:

BD10803D

Sorry cwt I have confused the issue... that's the older model that Pete hasn't purchased. The newer is the BD3000... but I'd imagine it would have 1.4 outputs, probably just a generic manual for multiple brands.

Just now, JSmith said:

Sorry cwt I have confused the issue... that's the older model that Pete hasn't purchased. The newer is the BD3000... but I'd imagine it would have 1.4 outputs, probably just a generic manual for multiple brands.

:D That's cool ; they usually ditch the multi analogs in the new ones these days .. Its getting a bit of a treat finding a paper manual these days ; pdf's are a pain sometimes :unsure:

I got lost.. so there's 3D and HDMI 1.4 enabled?

Sorry, the Oppo is back on the shelf for now, so I haven't had a chance to check it out, cheers. Sorry for the OT..

1 hour ago, petetherock said:

I got lost.. so there's 3D and HDMI 1.4 enabled?

Sorry, the Oppo is back on the shelf for now, so I haven't had a chance to check it out, cheers. Sorry for the OT..

As j said for the newer bd 3000 Pete the only hdmi reference in the manual is this ; which sounds like 1.3

In order to play multi-channel audio for all formats, the receiver must support HDMI v1.1 or later. For Blu-ray Disc, a receiver that supports HDMI v1.3 with decoding capability for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio is preferred. Please check the specifications of your receiver to ensure that it meets the requirements

Sounds like they have gone back a hdmi revision ; which would certainly be unique among bd players . Also bd 3d isn't listed under playable disc types

Playable Disk Types Blu-ray Disc Video: BD-R/RE2.0, BDAV, DVD: DVD-Video/DVD-R/+R /DVD-RW/+RW/SVCD/CD-R/CD-RW/CD-Audio, AVCHD, AVCREC disc

No reference to MVC encoded 3d and only 2d BDAV[ m2ts] listed , not looking good if the manual is kosher .

Edited by cwt

Watched deep water horizon player still has audio drop outs can someone pls give me the link to Oppoo feed back so I can log a complaint !!!!

14 minutes ago, muriwai said:

Watched deep water horizon player still has audio drop outs can someone pls give me the link to Oppoo feed back so I can log a complaint !!!!

here you go, good luck ! 

http://support.interdyn.com.au/support/solutions/folders/4000020612

it is a known issue with oppos i.e. the drop outs. probably my main beef wiht the player many are experiencing this with this disc and intermittently so not something repeatable it would seem. deep water does though play seamlessly through the pana. so not a disc issue as such. probably an update needed on oppos part so worth logging with them i would suggest :) 

here you go, good luck ! 
http://support.interdyn.com.au/support/solutions/folders/4000020612
it is a known issue with oppos i.e. the drop outs. probably my main beef wiht the player many are experiencing this with this disc and intermittently so not something repeatable it would seem. deep water does though play seamlessly through the pana. so not a disc issue as such. probably an update needed on oppos part so worth logging with them i would suggest [emoji4] 

Deep water plays fine on the Samsung as well. I've read some members are blaming the discs but it's not true it's the Oppo. Unfortunately there are fan boys over in AVS they get upset with the truth.

6 hours ago, franin said:

Deep water plays fine on the Samsung as well. I've read some members are blaming the discs but it's not true it's the Oppo. Unfortunately there are fan boys over in AVS they get upset with the truth.

very true frank. In the 9 months or so I owned the sammy it never ever hiccuped with a disk. have not had one disc hiccup in the pana. but the oppo was horrendous for this over 30+ days had it. unwatchable at times. some people dont seem to like people posting this is the case. but it is the truth perhaps the truth hurts I dont know. personally id rather the truth is out there and people aware and oppo knows and do something about it. rather than it swept under the rug... and what we are supposed to imagine the problem isnt there?

very true frank. In the 9 months or so I owned the sammy it never ever hiccuped with a disk. have not had one disc hiccup in the pana. but the oppo was horrendous for this over 30+ days had it. unwatchable at times. some people dont seem to like people posting this is the case. but it is the truth perhaps the truth hurts I dont know. personally id rather the truth is out there and people aware and oppo knows and do something about it. rather than it swept under the rug... and what we are supposed to imagine the problem isnt there?

I haven't even had a chance to use the Oppo yet to watch a film in its entirety. Well let's hope they get a fix soon.

44 minutes ago, franin said:

I haven't even had a chance to use the Oppo yet to watch a film in its entirety. Well let's hope they get a fix soon.

yes I remember reading you hadn't been able to play one disc all the way through without a hiccup. pity to hear that stretch is continuing. I myself did get some discs to play through both before and after the firmware update. bit in some strange ways some discs i returned to caused issue when they didnt cause issue the 1st time. the unpredictable intermittent temperamental nature of this issue I found pretty frustrating. I've read a few things is the error correction. buffer related. change of layer related. something to do with if you pause and restart a disc or stop the disc mid play. at one stage oppo were also wondering if its subwoofer related ! 

anyways  what ever the cause I hope they get to the bottom of it.

the last pana update was disc replay related. perhaps they are just ahead of the game and solving issues before users pick them up. but regardless no issues with the pana or sammy before wiht regards disc play so some encouragement hopefully oppo get to this place as well some time.

1 hour ago, franin said:

Even with the new update? Gosh.. 

I don't recall Oppo ever having such a problematic piece of equipment ....... ever.

6 minutes ago, jutta said:

I don't recall Oppo ever having such a problematic piece of equipment ....... ever.

+ 1

Seems they may have tried to pack too many features in this time? It's concerning they decided to release this product in beta form...

Knowing Oppo in the past though, one would hope they are working their a$$es off to resolve these problems.

+ 1
Seems they may have tried to pack too many features in this time? It's concerning they decided to release this product in beta form...
Knowing Oppo in the past though, one would hope they are working their a$$es off to resolve these problems.
JSmith default_ninja.gif

I expect so. And I'll most likely revisit the Oppo name when it's all sorted. Enjoying the stellar performance from the Pana for now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even with the new update? Gosh.. 

Audio dropouts Pete with the UHD on the Oppo. Once I get one I stop and I then revert back to the cheap looking Samsung and have no issues whatsoever.

1 minute ago, jutta said:

I'll most likely revisit the Oppo name when it's all sorted.

I might too... but for now I think I'll wait for these first release products from all manufacturers to be refined in a new or updated model.

This release is sure to mar the good name Oppo has... :ermm: