Jump to content

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, lordvader82 said:

Does this mean existing 205's will appreciate in value?
:(

 

I'd think concern over player support would depreciate the units value rather than supply vs demand appreciating it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, lordvader82 said:

People like me rushing to buy one ;)

A lot of money to buy on impulse ; maybe determine if its .a good system fit . Coincidentally  the recent discovery of 4k ISO playback by Tasso could conceivably be Oppo bucking the system one last time as it did with the bd95 ISO  firmware before they were put in line :thumb:

Remember its a Chinese company with no compunctions about Hollywoods rules as its not making anymore bda licensed players :cool:

Of course disc playability in this 4k era could force a firmware upgrade eventually so the point may be moot..

That iso firmware helped sell my 95 though ; i should mention :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I lodged a ticket with Interdyn and they advised me to clear the persistent memory and try discs again. Didn't work. I also tried Star Trek Into Darkness, and it does not spin up either. All come up as Unknown Disc. Have reported my findings, will see what they come up with next. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
42 minutes ago, BuffySlayer said:

So I lodged a ticket with Interdyn and they advised me to clear the persistent memory and try discs again. Didn't work. I also tried Star Trek Into Darkness, and it does not spin up either. All come up as Unknown Disc. Have reported my findings, will see what they come up with next. 

did they also ask you to do a factory reset. along with clearing persistent memory its something i always do post updates :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, they've asked me to log the faults on a USB stick and send them the files. Will do that, and try the reset also, thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
28 minutes ago, BuffySlayer said:

No, they've asked me to log the faults on a USB stick and send them the files. Will do that, and try the reset also, thanks. 

yep have done that once too. and got a response pretty quickly to resolve so fingers crossed for you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/04/2018 at 3:16 PM, ward0112 said:

I have my Oppo 203 connected to my Denon 6400, which connects to my JVC 7900.

 

I also have a 4K Apple TV and my question is what is the best way to hook up my apple TV. Should I connect it to the HDMI in on the Oppo 203 or just plug it straight into the Denon?

 

Will the Oppo 203 improve the picture displayed by the Apple TV. It is mainly used to stream content, and to access mkv held on a NAS network drive.

 

Didn't think this question was worthy of a full separate post

If this was my system where I run 21:9 (projector with anamorphic lens), then yes, there is clear advantage to running a device like Apple TV into the back.  On a standard 16:9 system, probably not unless you noticed a black level shift or some of the issue that might be correctable with the user controls in the OPPO.  The OPPO might or might not provide a solution.  As suggested, plug and play directly into the projector and test for yourself.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I run my AppleTV through the Oppo 203's HDMI input for 2 reasons.

 

There's a bug in the way my Sony projector and AppleTV handle Dolby Vision content (up till 11.2.5) which causes black screen dropouts - while audio is playing. And also because I can use Oppo HDR Tone Mapping on the AppleTV.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, :) al said:

yep have done that once too. and got a response pretty quickly to resolve so fingers crossed for you :)

Well I tried factory reset, but no good. So I've sent the 3 files to be looked at. 

 

Something weird though, during my testing after updating firmware I put a few discs in the 205, and one that played (Serenity), now doesn't. Doing my head in 😔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BuffySlayer said:

Well I tried factory reset, but no good. So I've sent the 3 files to be looked at. 

 

Something weird though, during my testing after updating firmware I put a few discs in the 205, and one that played (Serenity), now doesn't. Doing my head in 😔

Well so it's just not me. I posted a few days ago here that my player (205) wouldn't play Startrek-Into Darkness but I tried the 1st movie and it played no problem. Still haven't heard back from Interdyn regarding BR2049, but now that other discs aren't playing I'm guessing they are waiting to fix all issues with one FW update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, SimonNo10 said:

Well so it's just not me. I posted a few days ago here that my player (205) wouldn't play Startrek-Into Darkness but I tried the 1st movie and it played no problem. Still haven't heard back from Interdyn regarding BR2049, but now that other discs aren't playing I'm guessing they are waiting to fix all issues with one FW update.

And this is exactly why I returned my 205.

 

You get all excited to watch a movie that you haven't seen and then it doesn't work on your $2000 disc player.

 

I have both BR2049 and Startrek into the darkness and both work fine on my Pana UB900 and sony X800.

Not surprised at all that Oppo has ceased production. In 2 years from now when a new UHD doesn't work what happens then if support has stopped?

 

 

Edited by Seandres

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a lot of problems with my Pana UB900 locking up on BR discs so it's not just related to Oppo. I ended up returning the Panasonic at JB and getting an Oppo 203. The Oppo has been working fine fingers crossed for the last 6 months!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
32 minutes ago, Dokken said:

I had a lot of problems with my Pana UB900 locking up on BR discs so it's not just related to Oppo. I ended up returning the Panasonic at JB and getting an Oppo 203. The Oppo has been working fine fingers crossed for the last 6 months!

yes unfortunately if you check ub900 owner threads either local or overseas, they are also susceptible to this kind of thing. its no different to early days of blu-ray if people remember. and with new titles for a while ending updates to play :) even till quite late in stage. I remember a lord of rings one of the last ones on blu-ray not even being able to get past the menu title screen :D

 

re future support basically any issues will need to be supported with our statutory consumer laws even out of warranty for a while so will follow up myself hopefully by that stage uhd is pretty stable anyhow :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know it sounds ridiculous but try cleaning the disc.  UHD discs seem to have a film or residue that that the Oppo struggles with.  This applies even to brand new discs.

Do a full reboot, take the player out of network standby mode and turn it off.  

Save your settings to a USB and do a factory reset; reinstall settings and try disc again.

If you've tried all those and discs still don't play you probably need to get your player fixed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/04/2018 at 9:47 AM, blairy said:

I know it sounds ridiculous but try cleaning the disc.  UHD discs seem to have a film or residue that that the Oppo struggles with.  This applies even to brand new discs.

Do a full reboot, take the player out of network standby mode and turn it off.  

Save your settings to a USB and do a factory reset; reinstall settings and try disc again.

If you've tried all those and discs still don't play you probably need to get your player fixed.

Did as you suggested, discs still don't play. I can hear the laser ticking away as it tries to read the discs, but after approx 80 seconds, the unknown disc error comes up. Other 4k discs play without issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why don't people return the discs that won't play, rather than the player?

 

It seems that discs not playing is an issue across brands, which suggests (to me) that the issue could be disc quality rather than player quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BuffySlayer said:

Did as you suggested, discs still don't play. I can hear the laser ticking away as it tries to read the discs, but after approx 80 seconds, the unknown disc error comes up. Other 4k discs play without issue. 

 

9 minutes ago, Benje said:

Why don't people return the discs that won't play, rather than the player?

 

It seems that discs not playing is an issue across brands, which suggests (to me) that the issue could be disc quality rather than player quality.

Took a while...BUT...bingo...

The penny has finally dropped...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So I had my first major glitch last night.  The movie just paused and initially I thought I had bumped the remote.    Nothing would get this to continue to play including, ejecting the disc, clearing persistent memory and restarting the player.  When it did start again, it skipped to the end of that chapter.  The annoying part is that I have watched this disc right through at least twice without out issue.  Disc was SW TLJ, of course...

Edited by CAVX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 11/04/2018 at 5:27 PM, Benje said:

Why don't people return the discs that won't play, rather than the player?

 

It seems that discs not playing is an issue across brands, which suggests (to me) that the issue could be disc quality rather than player quality.

Because maybe, just maybe we have already tested it on a different player and it works fine.

 

 

Edited by Seandres

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: And watched the same title the next night and it played with no problems, so I don't know what is going on here.  Player has not missed a beat since.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
On 13/04/2018 at 9:01 AM, CAVX said:

So I had my first major glitch last night.  The movie just paused and initially I thought I had bumped the remote.    Nothing would get this to continue to play including, ejecting the disc, clearing persistent memory and restarting the player.  When it did start again, it skipped to the end of that chapter.  The annoying part is that I have watched this disc right through at least twice without out issue.  Disc was SW TLJ, of course...

going forward the safe thing I think is to log all issues on oppo website

 

http://support.interdyn.com.au/support/tickets/new

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By kukynas
      There is lots of sites with 4K content in many shapes or forms but not many allow you to look at entire list in user friendly manner so I decided to create our own list with complete collection available within 1 page, I plan to update it once a week (if time allow) but if someone is willing to help from mods (due to post update restrictions) I would definitely appreciate it...
      All artworks (pictures) are taken from www.blu-ray.com and are hyperlinked, there are other sites I could take it from but BR seems to be most updated, I only took 1 artwork per title even if there might be more from each, if you are unsure about the title name from the picture just hoover with your mouse over it and it'll pop up or just click on it and it'll open directly on blu-ray.com site
      Whole list is in alphabetical order (sort of according to BR page ) so if you can't find certain title please have a look under different name e.g. Jason Bourne might be under "B" but also under "J" as some of them where released under different name, same applies for prefixes e.g. "the" etc.
      I don't know what's the standard screen resolution these days so if you'd like to widen it with more artworks within one row just let me know and I will rebuild it...       
      It took some time to build it and format it so hopefully it'll be helpful to those interested, enjoy 
       
       
      #
                    A                                                                 B                                                                                 C                                               D                                                                                          E                                         F                                               G                                               H                                                                        I                                                            J                                                               K                             L                                                                    M                                                                                                                              N            O   P                                                                                               Q   R                                         S                                                                                                          T                                         U                   V         W                                               X                  Z
    • By Frankp01
      I've been mulling over this issue for a while now, and thought I'd ask you guys (and girls) if you had any answers for me. I've also done a search and can't find any threads specifically discussing the issue of variable 4K quality on different platforms.
      The main question, there will be others later, is... why does 4K on You Tube look so much cleaner and precise than 4K presentations on all other platforms?  If I watch something in (supposed) 4K on You Tube it is always as I would expect 4K to look, whereas 4K on Netflix, Amazon, Stan and VUDU is good, but doesn't have the same (almost) jaw dropping clarity of a You Tube video.
      Before we go any further, here is the gear I use (all cables are good, and high speed NBN of consistent 95mbs):
      Hisense 75N7
      Yamaha 3060
      Apple TV 4K
      Nvidia Shield
      All devices are connected via the 3060
      Other questions I just can't find answers to:
      1. The Yamaha 3060's recent update included Dolby Vision, but the Hisense isn't compatible. The ATV sends Dolby Vision instead of HDR to the amp when watching Netflix. Does this make any difference? Can it be changed if needed?
      2. If this is causing an issue, is there a way to only send HDR from the amp to the Hisense?
      3. How do I ensure that I am allowing all video to pass through to the TV to allow it to do the upscaling, as I believe the Hisense is capable of doing a better job?
      4. When I visit a You Tube channel which supposedly is showing HDR content, is it actually in HDR or just brighter 4K? The TV doesn't register a HDR signal from You Tube. This is when trying on both media players. The TV does receive HDR signal from other platforms on both the Shield and ATV.
      Thanks for any help. Oh, and before anyone whinges that I've posted this on a couple of forums...I just can't find answers to these questions, so I'm covering all knowledge bases.
      Cheers
    • By Sirmorebeer
      Coming to Aus I wondered? RRP 2.5K USD.
       
      https://www.engadget.com/2018/04/05/jvc-dlp-4k-projector/
       
      Specs:
       
      http://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-digital-projectors-under-3-000-usd-msrp/2968784-jvc-lx-uh1-new-4k-projector.html#post55977410
       
       
    • By JB_2016
      Item: Sony VPL-VW500ES Projector
      Location: Canberra
      Price: $4,250 ONO ($13,999 RRP)
      Item Condition: Excellent condition
      Reason for selling: Change to later model
      Payment Method: Cash, Bank Transfer
      Extra Info: This fantastic true 4K projector has very low hours (~400) and has been always mounted in a dedicated room, used for movies only.  Currently running from an Oppo BDP-103 - it's as good as new.
      It just had a new genuine Sony lamp fitted.
      It will be packed and shipped in it's original box via courier of your choice if not local.
       
      EDIT: Price drop to $4250.  This really is a bargain for such a good projector...
       
      Pictures:
       
       

×