Oppo UHD 4K Owners & Discussion Thread

31 minutes ago, Sime said:

What do you mean by this? I'm not, as you'll prolly guess, using HDMI out for cd, but XLR, but I still have the 205 hooked up to HDMI. 

the problem arises... if you use one input for the oppo.... and if connected via xlr and hdmi and it has this input also setup for hdmi...then it will go searching all the time for the display to shake its hand.

best to have one input setup for hdmi and use hdmi there. e.g. call it blu-ray

setup another input call it CD and have no digital inputs allocated to it...so it wont go searching for the display .. and will just get signal out via xlr.. or rca... i.e. analog only.

• Like 1

Guest Sime
8 minutes ago, :) al said:

the problem arises... if you use one input for the oppo.... and if connected via xlr and hdmi and it has this input also setup for hdmi...then it will go searching all the time for the display to shake its hand.

best to have one input setup for hdmi and use hdmi there. e.g. call it blu-ray

setup another input call it CD and have no digital outputs allocated to it...so it wont go searching for the display .. and will just get signal out via xlr.. or rca... i.e. analog only.

Thats what I've done, as always. I have blu-ray input for movies and AUX2 renamed OPPO XLR, but if the Oppo itself is in disc player mode, either blu-ray or cd, it looks for friends. As far as I can see there's no setting on the 8801 to stop this on its analog channel. 

3 minutes ago, Sime said:

Thats what I've done, as always. I have blu-ray input for movies and AUX2 renamed OPPO XLR, but if the Oppo itself is in disc player mode, either blu-ray or cd, it looks for friends. As far as I can see there's no setting on the 8801 to stop this on its analog channel. 

you have to switch off all the digital inputs on that OPPO XLR/AUX2 channel . i.e. set them to off. not auto or anything else for the digital they might be set on

i'll have a look at this when get around to it. but can setup to not search for displays. .... this is all unless they have changed something on the oppo ofcourse :D snd there isn't something else going on bug or otherwise ! 

you should be able to setup as a conventional player no display. its something have done with other players wiht the marantz and denon/s processors before e.g. with sacd/cd/dvda/ blu-ray audio discs.

3 hours ago, Sime said:

Are these two things circled the ESS DAC's?

You_Doodle_2017-05-19T08_51_45Z.jpg

Yes they are the ESS9038.  Different from all the marketing that OPPO supplied because Apparently from what I can gather the ESS9038 is 4x ESS9028 parallel ed and the output of the 9038 is 1/4 of what the 9028 output impedance.  Therefore the 9038 will run way hotter than the previous 9018 chip that's in the previous 105 hence the white ceramic heatsink!   Why ceramic only the OPPO will know, if it was to required to dissipate heat one would use a copper or an aluminium and not ceramic.  According to the DIY forum they have moved and used LM to OPA 1632 opamps.  This opamp is a full differential opamp and is designed unlike the LM4562 previously used.  So this 205 2 channnel stage is way different to the 105.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/300692-oppo-new-udp-series-players-203-205-discussions-upgrades-modifications-10.html

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa1632.pdf

• Like 1

Guest Sime

@Addicted to music cheers for that :thumb:

i plugged in a HDD this morning, while the interface to select music is crap, it sounds nice as a player this way, if my Node2 went out of action, bloody good backup. 

Guest Sime

Nice, it dosnt have to re-index after you turn it off. 

Me likes this machine, a lots. 

Edited by Sime

10 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Yes they are the ESS9038.  Different from all the marketing that OPPO supplied because Apparently from what I can gather the ESS9038 is 4x ESS9028 parallel ed and the output of the 9038 is 1/4 of what the 9028 output impedance.  Therefore the 9038 will run way hotter than the previous 9018 chip that's in the previous 105 hence the white ceramic heatsink!   Why ceramic only the OPPO will know, if it was to required to dissipate heat one would use a copper or an aluminium and not ceramic.  According to the DIY forum they have moved and used LM to OPA 1632 opamps.  This opamp is a full differential opamp and is designed unlike the LM4562 previously used.  So this 205 2 channnel stage is way different to the 105.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/300692-oppo-new-udp-series-players-203-205-discussions-upgrades-modifications-10.html

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/opa1632.pdf

The ceramics : Maybe for insulation instead?

5 hours ago, PositivelyMusicallyGeared said:

The ceramics : Maybe for insulation instead?

ceramics make excellent heat shields :D

but porous types can also be used for dissipation...

so depends what the intent is I guess...

• Like 1

Guest Sime
2 hours ago, gonefishing999 said:

@Sime why ask me didn't I say oppo's cannot play CD'S.

And you call me a troll :unsure:

Edited by Sime

Hi guys, I needed some help here.

I have purchased the UDP203 during the MO organised by wizardofoz in Dec 16/Jan 17, whom he claimed that the purchase invoice will be issued by SLT who is the authorised Singapore distributor for this product. When I physically collected the item from him (cash on delivery), he told me that he will submit the details of all the MO participants to SLT as a batch, and only after SLT has processed them would I receive the invoice from SLT.

To date however, I have not received the purchase invoice from SLT.

I have tried asking wizardofoz for assistance, only to be told by him that based on what he knows, SLT has already issued all the invoices to the buyers. I have tried to ask further what I could do to resolve this issue, but he did not respond further to my questions.

So, I would like to ask whether did those who purchase UDP203 during the MO received the invoice from SLT?

Also, could anyone share with me the contacts of the people at SLT so that I can give them a call? Thank you!

Guest CASH

I started the ball rolling on this issue..

SLT has already posted the invoice to my home address.

I am surprised that u haven't received yours.

have u changed address, or given a wrong address?

I started the ball rolling on this issue..

SLT has already posted the invoice to my home address.

I am surprised that u haven't received yours.

have u changed address, or given a wrong address?

Thank you CASH for starting the ball rolling.

All the details were given to SLT via wizardofoz. The thing is, I cannot verify whether he has submitted it and if so, whether was it correct or incorrect.

I would like to check, but I do not know who in SLT to speak to.

You have had a reply...I was driving to Malaysia and out for dinner there, so give some respect please before you complain about this or that. Don't expect an immediate reply just because you sent a message and I didn't reply immediately...people have other things on that are outside of your control too.

SLT is also out station and I will chase this up yet again when I am back. I'm as disappointed as you are. I have no control over SLT's staff, so have to rely on what I am told has or hasn't been done, and only act accordingly when I hear something hasn't happened. This is the first I have heard you or whoever got your set hasn't received anything.

As I am outstation without my computer I don't have the mo spreadsheet with me so cannot check the specific details until I get back.

report some days ago in the us of a new beta software for 203/205

http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/UDP203-firmware-45-0525B.aspx

"This release is for the OPPO UDP-20x 4K UHD Blu-ray Disc Player.

Comparing to the current Official release version UDP20X-42-0329, the major changes included in this version are:
1. Added Sharpness adjustment support for the 4K resolution..
2. Improved HDMI audio stability when using an HDMI Split A/V connection
3. Changed the color depth info display of the HDMI In port to 8b/10b/12b instead of 24b/30b/36b.
4. General fixes and disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted samples."

good to see have added sharpness adjustment for 4k. and that also improved stability with audio that people have had issues with in splitting. and also good to see various fixes compatibility and improvements - whatever they might be :)

as the page says, have to be very carefull with betas as cant download straight to player. have to go via usb stick. and there is NO rolling back if there are issues. given my frustrating  experience with betas on the 203 I think i will pass and wait up for an offical firmware to come through.

checking the local interdyn oppo digital page under customer support ...they dont even list the 205 ???

https://www.oppodigital.com.au/pages/product-support

need to update the page so it says 203/205 as might confuse people ! 

also checking the 203's support page, 

http://support.interdyn.com.au/support/solutions/folders/4000020612

nothing there yet, so probably something to look out for, if wanting to beta test for them :)

Interdyn International will usually take at least a week or forever to update there website for FW.   They also have a habit of "having issues updating there sites" 

I was given a link once i send an email for a request and they directed me to a site where I could download the file in RAR and then needed a RAR converter.

Unfortunately if you have purchased here in Australia the FW from the US site will not work or the player doesn't recognised the FW so don't even bother trying, hence it took me all day screwing around and realised I had to use the Interdyn site!

I remember the Beta releases were reversible so if there was an issue you could revert back to the old official version to safe guard for faults.  However I never had the Beta versions loaded as they were getting updated very quickly.

Anyone with this player should check the difference in 2 channel as there are lots reporting there's a distinct SQ between the RCA and XLR.  Most have indicated there is an improvement in SQ between the 105 and 205 but none are admitting they have done a A/B comparison between the too in stock form.

27 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

I remember the Beta releases were reversible so if there was an issue you could revert back to the old official version to safe guard for faults.

not anymore it would seem... as they say on the website,

"Special Notice: 

1. 1. Once this firmware version is installed on the player, you will not be able to revert back to any previous official or public beta firmware. There will be no problem upgrading to any future official or beta firmware release.
  2. 2. This release is still a beta test version, not an official release. Use it only if you would like to experiment with the new features and improvements. There is a very small chance of the new features and improvements not working properly. If that happens, please report any issue to us."

so only fix fix for beta issues will be waiting for another beta. hence reason i will pass,

41 minutes ago, :) al said:

not anymore it would seem... as they say on the website,

"Special Notice: 

1. 1. Once this firmware version is installed on the player, you will not be able to revert back to any previous official or public beta firmware. There will be no problem upgrading to any future official or beta firmware release.
  2. 2. This release is still a beta test version, not an official release. Use it only if you would like to experiment with the new features and improvements. There is a very small chance of the new features and improvements not working properly. If that happens, please report any issue to us."

so only fix fix for beta issues will be waiting for another beta. hence reason i will pass,

Yes I know, 

be interested to test this out, 

keep the  old official firmware on USB,

load the beta version on.

then see if will allow you to load the previous version on USB. 

Most likely not, but it's just ensure that that can be done in case you need to revert back until the next version is made official

4 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Yes I know, 

be interested to test this out, 

keep the  old official firmware on USB,

load the beta version on.

then see if will allow you to load the previous version on USB. 

Most likely not, but it's just ensure that that can be done in case you need to revert back until the next version is made official

not when they tell you it wont :D as they say cant revert ... 

51 minutes ago, :) al said:

Once this firmware version is installed on the player, you will not be able to revert back to any previous official or public beta firmware

48 minutes ago, :) al said:

not when they tell you it wont :D as they say cant revert ... 

You are right

Just a thought,  good to check to see if it's not a cut and paste printing issue on a website..   or alternatively send the question to OPPO on there feedback, you usually get a reply within 24hrs.....This is what I like about OPPO, you will definately get a reply on the feedback.