Oppo UHD 4K Owners & Discussion Thread

@Sime @rantan

i dont play CDs on my 105. 

I ripped every CD I have, backed it up and I use a an iPad or iPhone to select what I wanna play.  So easy to use, I don't even touch a CD after its been ripped!  If you have a tablet you can download the oppo app and when you power the unit up with wifi, it's so easy to use.   I really can't tell the difference between the CD or playing via the HDD neither can some SNAers who have attended during a GTG.  I'm guessing this is what @gonefishing999 does.

• Like 1

Just now, Addicted to music said:

@Sime @rantan

i dont play CDs on my 105. 

I ripped every CD I have, backed it up and I use a an iPad or iPhone to select what I wanna play.  So easy to use, I don't even touch a CD after its been ripped!  If you have a tablet you can download the oppo app and when you power the unit up with wifi, it's so easy to use.   I really can't tell the difference between the CD or playing via the HDD neither can some SNAers who have attended during a GTG.  I'm guessing this is what @gonefishing999 does.

That is absolutely fair enough, but it is not pertinent to the claim that the 105 or the 205 should not be used for playback of CDs ,this is 100% wrong and most people would be aware that the 205 is optimised for music playback to a far higher degree than the 105.

I don't care what people do when they buy one,it's none of my business, but people should not be posting false information about the playback support to those interested in buying the 205

Guest Sime

@Addicted to music

ok, now this thread is getting weird. 

Using a player with ripped cd's for convenience is a lot different to what @gonefishing999 is talking about. 

What he did wrong is to TOTALLY misrepresent his point, so much so than when called out on it, for the bollocks it is, he cried fowl and got personal. @rantan and my self were clearly interested in his actual reasons as to why we shouldn't play cd's and he couldn't even answer a simple question. So sorry @Addicted to music You explanation doesn't cut it. 

Edited by Sime

56 minutes ago, rantan said:

@powerav

We all make mistakes but there it is in black and white

Absolutely note @rantan

I interpreted it as not being very good for CD use and NOT that it cant play CD's. 

To think otherwise is somewhat bemusing particularly when it is something of a belief with many people that I have

spoken to and tested for myself that HDD playback is superior to disc spinning.

That was something that Bill Mclean endorsed to me in a recent conversation in his store. And he sells the Oppo.

Go figure.

Guest Sime

It could have been as simply said ' Oppo transports are not very good CD players, if you want to play cd, get a cd only player"

And like I said before, the Blu-ray laser in the transport does not play the cd's, the DVD drive does. 

17 minutes ago, rantan said:

@ghost4man

"DO NOT use it as a disc spinner as the laser  is meant for BLU-RAY ,SACD and not for red book CD ".

Sorry to be difficult but how can you read that quote any other way:)

@rantan

At the risk of coming across as being condescending which is not my attention, but read very slowly the quoted remark which you

presented.

Now step back a little bit and note the use of the word "meant".

Nowhere in the comment is it stated in clear terms "Do not use redbook CD as it cannot be played".

Thats not what it is asserting.

A baseball bat can be used to beat someone up with, but its not MEANT for that purpose ALTHOUGH it can be. Clearly a baseball

bat can have multiple uses in much the same way that this player can be utilised. But that doesnt necessarily mean that EACH use

will give the best outcome nor does it suggest what it is meant to be used for.

Do you understand.

In other words its not asserted as a statement of fact to promote a total exclusion.

And no I am not trying to be difficult or supportive of Peter's comments but rather draw you to the possibility that you have made a hasty 

interpretation which is clearly not what Peter was alluding to. Certainly not to my mind anyhow. 

• Like 1

Guest Sime

But I made the same opinion as did @rantan of how it was said, straight away. 

This issue could have easily been resolved if the commenter had clarified what he meant instead of getting personal. 

1 minute ago, ghost4man said:

@rantan

At the risk of coming across as being condescending which is not my attention,

A baseball bat can be used to beat someone up with, but its not MEANT for that purpose ALTHOUGH it can be. Clearly a baseball

bat can have multiple uses in much the same way that this player can be utilised. But that doesnt necessarily mean that EACH use

will give the best outcome nor does it suggest what it is meant to be used for.

Do you understand.

If your intent was not to be condescending  why would you post "do you understand "

It is also not my intention to patronise or condescend, but it seems as though a minority of people here agree with you and most do not. I have made my point in regard to this statement and I will only post further in this thread about the actual player itself and not sentences which serve only to obfuscate the facts.

I also support your right to an opinion 100%:)

22 minutes ago, rantan said:

If your intent was not to be condescending  why would you post "do you understand "

It is also not my intention to patronise or condescend, but it seems as though a minority of people here agree with you and most do not. I have made my point in regard to this statement and I will only post further in this thread about the actual player itself and not sentences which serve only to obfuscate the facts.

I also support your right to an opinion 100%:)

@rantan

Consensus opinion does not equate to an objective truth as should be obvious to you.

You asked how else one could interpret the statement and I told you with a legitimate example which was not intended to confuse the 

situation but rather serve to clarify.

I for one prefer to use without CD although in some cases that is not possible. When that occurs I use disc.

I dont think disc is the best option. 

We are audiophiles. We seek the best possible sound with the equipment that we have.

And I too respect your right to engage with another opinion. I think in this instance you became fixated on a point which clearly could

be interpreted to have an opposite meaning to what you were asserting. That reflects the lens that you see the world through rather than

a matter of right or wrong.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sime said:

I paid $2100, its what I was offered, I never haggle. 

I agree that good advice and service is better than just a low price but with that said, I always try to get at least 10% off, depending on what I may be buying

Guest Sime

My rule in life is when it comes to brick and mortar stores, I base my affordability on it's retail, and if I can afford to pay retail then I will buy, if a discount is offered, I'll take it. 

<moderator comment>Gentlemen, just a reminder that this is only a BluRay player, not life and death. This our hobby and we can enjoy it differently. Lets keep it respectful and cordial please<moderator comment>

• Like 5

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/blu-ray-udp-205-Features.aspx

Nice DACs:

Dual SABRE PRO DACs

OPPO UDP-205 is equipped with two ESS Technology ES9038PRO DACs for both stereo and 7.1 channel analog audio. The ES9038PRO is the flagship of the ESS PRO series. It sets a new benchmark for audio excellence with its best-in-class 140 dB of dynamic range in a 32-bit, 8-channel DAC. The ES9038PRO SABRE DAC features ESS’ patented 32-bit HyperStreamDAC technology, which is responsible for the outstanding clarity and sound stage.