Oppo UHD 4K Owners & Discussion Thread

There's a 1GB RAM in the 105 that helps to buffer the data of the HDD via USB that's not there on the 205.  Perhaps because the 205 uses the USB 3.0 and they believe it's not necessary to include it....Im just guessing!  Better to send an email to query that.

Not sure whether we see this as a bonus but they talk about interference etc etc etc and then there's the 802.11AC built in!   The 105 had a dongle but wasn't up to 803.11ac standards, well the 802.11ac wasn't standard back when the 105 was released.

Edited by Addicted to music

13 minutes ago, Joe Rasmussen said:

I wonder if InterDyn in Melbourne has stock to go, since it is likely that Oppo Digital was waiting till intercontinental distributors to have stock, that seems how they have done it in that past. The parent company in the US have "Buy Now" showing, but the Aussie not yet. Maybe tomorrow?

Do you see a lot of takers especially with all the issues the 203 has had, then there the $2200 rrp, possibly discounted to $1999 for early adopters?

9 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Not sure whether we see this as a bonus but they talk about interference etc etc etc

yeah am still wondering why they have taken the power supply casing off it !  many makers with sensitive low signal level circuits tend to put casings on !  but anyways perhaps they worked out there wasnt an adverse effect in removing ?

4 minutes ago, :) al said:

yeah am still wondering why they have taken the power supply casing off it !  many makers with sensitive low signal level circuits tend to put casings on !  but anyways perhaps they worked out there wasnt an adverse effect in removing ?

I ws referring to the built in 802.1ac.....

i wonder what that effect will have on the audio...being internal.

1 minute ago, Addicted to music said:

I ws referring to the built in 802.1ac.....

i wonder what that effect will have on the audio...being internal.

not unusual to have wifi capability in things these days e.g. the marantz processor has it. however they did remove the network switching hub off from the previous model to improve things noise wise.

1 minute ago, :) al said:

not unusual to have wifi capability in things these days e.g. the marantz processor has it. however they did remove the network switching hub off from the previous model to improve things noise wise.

At least with the transformer you can take the cover off and do a DIY shielding with say some copper tape!  Or even better still find out whether the 105 transformer is compatible which looks like it is, but don't assume.   

I suppose 5GHZ wifi is beyond the human hearing capabilities. :D

I am waiting for JVC to fix their Auto Cal software and get a sensor. 

I saw that disc and it does appear to work well for a friend's X7000. The nice thing is that the X9500/7500 really looks pretty good out of the box and it is takes very few clicks to get it right which is what Kris had recommended - out of the box, it was just a little dark. I took some screenshots of the menu settings but I don't remember an owners thread here so I didn't post it.

23 minutes ago, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

I am waiting for JVC to fix their Auto Cal software and get a sensor. 

I saw that disc and it does appear to work well for a friend's X7000. The nice thing is that the X9500/7500 really looks pretty good out of the box and it is takes very few clicks to get it right which is what Kris had recommended - out of the box, it was just a little dark. I took some screenshots of the menu settings but I don't remember an owners thread here so I didn't post it.

its not a disc, you just download and use patterns on a usb stick and things like a little too dark will have sorted in a flash. have you set output with a light meter ? that is definitely  must as well :) can point to affordable one if needed.

projectors particularly you cant really go on others settings. not to say your possibly not pretty close now, but it really helps things to dial in :)

and the RM files you would be doing regardless of the autocal :) so well worth it for the small money it costs.

205 out in the wild at AXPONA

http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=5960

" Oppo is supplying one of their new UDP-205 ultra high-definition Blu-ray players, Benchmark brought the new DAC 3 with the latest ESS chips, JVC has their latest 4K projector, DH Labs supplied cables to hook it all up. "

actual real owner pics of one in the wild posted on avs,

205front.jpg

205buttons.jpg

205badge.jpg

looks pretty swish if ask me, and I like that it has real buttons rather than those silly persistent fake buttons sammy and pana use on their players.  

3 hours ago, :) al said:

actual real owner pics of one in the wild posted on avs,

205front.jpg

205buttons.jpg

205badge.jpg

looks pretty swish if ask me, and I like that it has real buttons rather than those silly persistent fake buttons sammy and pana use on their players.  

I disagree, I friggin hate buttons but there there......

At that price I expect touch screen.....:P :thumb:

now how did someone get there hands on one if it was just released and it will take about a week to deliver?

10 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

I disagree, I friggin hate buttons but there there......

At that price I expect touch screen.....:P :thumb:

now how did someone get there hands on one if it was just released and it will take about a week to deliver?

this time us had pre order and shipping before us. as it should be they buy for quite a bit cheaper and get 30-90 days return if not happy. where as we are treated as crash test dummies... that pay full price for the privilege ! 

• Like 2

@:) al

i hate buttons full stop.  I don't even like remote controls with buttons...

Thats why the OPPO 105 Media control app is a bonus, no buttons to press.  How good is that?  :thumb:

why i I hate buttons; I wear out the volume control buttons....:emot-bang:

Actually it is kind of fair.  Oppo probably had theirs in development for a longer period - could have done more bug shakedowns.  If Oppo had released their in March of 2016 and had the bugs they do now - people would probably be more understanding.      If someone just released a new DVD player - would you expect many issues?  I'm not saying Oppo won't ever get around to fixing their bugs - just that they probably either should have fixed many of the bugs before selling it or released it after they fixed so many of the bugs.

You seem to be saying that the Panasonic wasn't in development for an age also, they was the first company to announce a player, and it then took 12 months too emerge, the release date was pushed back twice.

Actually it is kind of fair.  Oppo probably had theirs in development for a longer period - could have done more bug shakedowns.  If Oppo had released their in March of 2016 and had the bugs they do now - people would probably be more understanding.      If someone just released a new DVD player - would you expect many issues?  I'm not saying Oppo won't ever get around to fixing their bugs - just that they probably either should have fixed many of the bugs before selling it or released it after they fixed so many of the bugs.

The DVD platform is very stable. Likewise the Blu Ray system is also fairly so. But UHD is a work in progress and Oppo not only has to build a new player, it has to deal with new standards like Hdmi 2, HDCP 2.2 and interface with other devices that may never have talked to it before... So I would give it some slack.

You could sit back and wait for the dust to settle or take the risks of being on the cutting edge of something new. Ymmv.

You seem to be saying that the Panasonic wasn't in development for an age also, they was the first company to announce a player, and it then took 12 months too emerge, the release date was pushed back twice.

Let me be clear -  I'm not saying that at all.  I'm saying the Panasonic came out LONG before the Oppo - they had a good reason for having many glitches on initial release.  What I'm saying is if I gave someone one week to prep a research paper on the fall of the Roman Empire and gave you 9 more months to do the same and I also let you look at their research paper, I would find it to be a lack of effort on your part if you didn't have far fewer typos, and far less errors in your paper.  Does that example make it any clearer for you?

On 24/04/2017 at 2:14 PM, Addicted to music said:

https://www.oppodigital.com/KnowledgeBase.aspx?KBID=129&ProdID=UDP-205

A very detailed link into the hdmi jitter reduction.

this endeavour is not new, with denon and marantz over many years pursuing different means to achieve. over i-link (also shared with pioneer and sony). then denon link which utilised either lan cable or later lan cable and hdmi in combination and then just via hdmi and spdif. I've owned some of these devices over the years, however I've always preferred the pure analog path. but anyways will be curious what this hdmi  jitter reduction brings ...

some notes from bob p over on avs, clarifying that the 203 and 205 are identical video wise. incase someone was wondering. as per previous oppos its really over analog and specifically 2ch analog the benefits have come, this time around they have added audio for music over hdmi 

"No. The 203 and 205 are identical for video picture quality.

Folks will undoubtedly report differences, so we should nip this in the bud right away. Such differences aren't "real". They most likely reflect viewer bias, but may also reflect differences not yet noticed in the configuration and setup of all the viewer's gear. 
--Bob"

also this prior post repeating,

"The 203 and 205 are identical as regards video.

The Audio HDMI output of the 205 has a new Anti-Jitter Circuit targeted at minimizing the effects of Jitter on HDMI Audio when using that socket for output. OPPO's white paper on that can be read here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/Knowledge...ProdID=UDP-205

Other than that, HDMI audio output in the 203 and 205 are also identical.

The *MAIN* reason for considering the 205 would be if you think you might want to explore the OTHER features of the 205, such as improved Analog outputs, the Headphones output, and additional types of Digital Audio Input sockets.
--Bob"

its interesting also that the 203 and 205 share the same firmware, with the 205 obviously addressing some parts of it that the 203 doesnt, but its a good thing in that there is greater chance of the 205 being bug free and perhaps limiting any bugs to the parts the 205 specifically address.

"If it's the same firmware, the bugs will be the same.

Correct. Plus the portions of the firmware which handle the additional features of the 205 will likely include some shiny new bugs. Collect them all! Fresh cookies await for first reports. 

The upside of course is that bug fixes benefit both players. 
--Bob"

looks like mod right have their mods up for pre order,

http://www.modwright.com/modifications/oppo-udp205-modification.php

but gee if its like the 105s' mod they do gosh likely looking at a $2.5k USD ! affair for just the mods ! 

but great to see, always been fan of tube output stage on players, i wonder what they will come up with :)

15 minutes ago, :) al said:

but gee if its like the 105s' mod they do gosh likely looking at a $2.5k USD ! affair for just the mods ! 

but great to see, always been fan of tube output stage on players, i wonder what they will come up with :)

Heres the economics of it:

$1300USD OPPO 105

$2500USD MODRIGHT modifications.

$3800USD 

At that figure reality sets in.  Go for a dedicated CD player around $4000USD.

Now, what can you get for $4kUSD that will wipe the floor of this project that will pass a C tick?    

but great to see, always been fan of tube output stage on players, i wonder what they will come up with [emoji4]

Clear your inbox Al

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1