Oppo UHD 4K Owners & Discussion Thread

Some guys in US had their 205 shipped oredi. Hope there will be MO like for the 203

Working on it, keep an eye out here on the MO threads, but maybe not till June time frame...Usa always get the bulk of production then the rest trickles out to the real world

That isn't actually a fair representation of the facts, The Panasonic UB900 has been available since March 2016 in the UK, it launched with many bugs including a Dolby Atmos bug from day one, these where fixed with firmware updates so that by the time it launched in the USA and other parts of the world a few months later these bugs had been largely fixed.

That is no different to the Oppo, by the time the Oppo has been on the Market 13 months it too will have had all it's bugs erased and many enhancements added.

Actually it is kind of fair.  Oppo probably had theirs in development for a longer period - could have done more bug shakedowns.  If Oppo had released their in March of 2016 and had the bugs they do now - people would probably be more understanding.      If someone just released a new DVD player - would you expect many issues?  I'm not saying Oppo won't ever get around to fixing their bugs - just that they probably either should have fixed many of the bugs before selling it or released it after they fixed so many of the bugs.

Working on it, keep an eye out here on the MO threads, but maybe not till June time frame...Usa always get the bulk of production then the rest trickles out to the real world

great! Let them test the product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree that $2,200AUD is way too steep given the absence of any apps. Currently, I use my 105 mainly as a streamer for Tidal Masters through the async input, Tidal Hi - Fi with the media control IOS app, hi-res files from the local network, and most importantly, BBC IPlayer. It has also proved handy for internet radio via a Roku stick, Amazon Prime via laptop, DSD files via USB, Netflix USA, before the blocking, etc etc.

Given the absence of MQA support and no apps to date, I can't justify a purchase just for UHD and a better DAC. 

Absolutely silly to ask for $2200 rrp.

Whos gonna do this when you have a Panasonic that does it better?   And with huge change left over!  

Even if the 205 has the updated top of the line ESS chip and can do DSD 512 so what, not a lot of materials on DSD.  

Lets hope that there are no takers and it gets discounted to see boxes move.

Regarding discounting, Amazon is coming to town, let us see what they can knock out A/V products for in Australia.

Given their worldwide track record, they will crash into a market without fear of loss.

• Like 2

An offer from Lifestylestore for the quick. 

Life Style Store are taking advance orders on the eagerly anticipated Oppo UDP205 4K Blu-ray player - Stock will be available mid-May, 2017. 

The UDP205 retails for $2,199 and we have a special offer for Life Style Store customers where you can order one now for the special price of $1,950 with free delivery. Stock is limited and you can purchase one via the following link:

Click Here to Pre-order an Oppo UDP-205 at the Special Price Now

This page is not accessible via the normal website or to the public and is only accessible via this link.

Alternatively, if you are interested in the Oppo UDP203 we have a special offer of $850 with free delivery accessible via the following link:

Click Here to Order an Oppo UDP-203 at the Special Price Now

If you would prefer to put a deposit on a unit for future collection please contact the store on (02) 8855 6500 or email us at sales@lifestylestore.com.au and one of our staff will be in touch to process this for you.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bunno77 said:

An offer from Lifestylestore for the quick. 

Life Style Store are taking advance orders on the eagerly anticipated Oppo UDP205 4K Blu-ray player - Stock will be available mid-May, 2017. 

The UDP205 retails for $2,199 and we have a special offer for Life Style Store customers where you can order one now for the special price of $1,950 with free delivery. Stock is limited and you can purchase one via the following link:

Click Here to Pre-order an Oppo UDP-205 at the Special Price Now

This page is not accessible via the normal website or to the public and is only accessible via this link.

Alternatively, if you are interested in the Oppo UDP203 we have a special offer of $850 with free delivery accessible via the following link:

Click Here to Order an Oppo UDP-203 at the Special Price Now

If you would prefer to put a deposit on a unit for future collection please contact the store on (02) 8855 6500 or email us at sales@lifestylestore.com.au and one of our staff will be in touch to process this for you.

Pass.....:D

Yup - you could get the UD900 and have $1500 to spare for a decent SACD/CD player. 

As someone who is looking at this with interest... do you have recommendations what decent SACD player should be considered?

I'm currently with a 103 JLTI modified and upgraditis symptoms are appearing...

No UHD TV yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

first under hood shot I've seen of the 205,

UDP-205-internal-hr.jpg

can compare with the previous 105D's innards,

Oppo-BDP-105D-interior.jpg

some changes apparent, one curious thing the new toroidal in the 205 no longer comes metal encased ? and bare instead ? 

also no apparent connector for region free on the 205, so likely as with the 105 have to be pulled apart for an internal install.

1 hour ago, Raffinator said:

As someone who is looking at this with interest... do you have recommendations what decent SACD player should be considered?

I'm currently with a 103 JLTI modified and upgraditis symptoms are appearing...

No UHD TV yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the JLTI 103 is sounding good with SACD then keep it esp since you don't need UHD. 

For people who are starting out, I'd look at the Marantz UD7007 Universal player for SACD/CD for $1390 RRP and the Panasonic UD900 for UHD & Bluray duties. 

On 20/04/2017 at 6:03 PM, Addicted to music said:

At around the $2200 rrp......pass.....no thanks... especially due to the support.

Way , Way to much money for a product that id say will have "questionable " performance!! .......

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Perhaps it's intended that the region free mods move to external USB type as some did for the previous models.

The rest looks like very much incremental changes on the analog side.

yes be interesting what region freeing options pop up, now being released. and yeah doesn't look like anything bar incremental changes on the analog side. 

This isn't a scientific calibrated measurement test but I figured since I had both the Panasonic 900 and the Oppo 203, I'd swap them over to see how they fared.

I had just watched Star Trek 2009 UHD and Deadpool UHD on my JVC X9500 and the Oppo 203 combo and using Kris Deering's recommended settings on the X9500, it looked superb. 

So I decided to put in some key scenes on the Panasonic for comparison. 

The Panasonic also had a Dynamic HDR slider which a lot of guys in AVS recommended setting at +4 on the JVC Z1/RS4500. I know it is not a like for like comparison but I figured I'd give it a try. 

My first impression with Dynamic HDR at default was that the image looked softer overall on the Panasonic. In the opening logos down to the detail on the actors faces - lots of close ups in the opening scene of Star Trek. 

Then I switched the Dynamic HDR to +4 - which appears to raise the black level - so there was more detail in the shadow details - my go to scene is Scotty's black jacket when he is running through the darker parts of the engineering deck just before he and Kirk are cornered by security. I think there may be a bit more detail in the jacket but in the preceding scene, Bones and Spock are having a private conversation and I noticed how smooth Spock's face was. Switching down the Dynamic HDR to 0 restored the pores in his skin so I am not sure if I want to use the Dynamic HDR slider all that much. But even then I felt the Oppo looked marginally sharper. 

My plan was to eventually use the Panasonic with the JVC and the Oppo with the Sony ZD9 - because the latter combo are supposed to get a Dolby Vision update later on but I may eventually get an Oppo 205. 

good stuff doggie to explore for yourself. re the jvc, rather than using others settings, and dont know what kris deering setting using, but have you got the RM files ?

http://rmadvancedcaldisc.com/rm-uhdhdr-10.html

essential for basic setup I'd suggest :)  if nothing else will make sure dialled in :)

3 hours ago, :) al said:

first under hood shot I've seen of the 205,

UDP-205-internal-hr.jpg

can compare with the previous 105D's innards,

Oppo-BDP-105D-interior.jpg

some changes apparent, one curious thing the new toroidal in the 205 no longer comes metal encased ? and bare instead ? 

also no apparent connector for region free on the 205, so likely as with the 105 have to be pulled apart for an internal install.

There are benefits..

You cant see it there but on the website the USB is now better supported for DSD and PCM is up to 786khz.  They also advertised they have circuit to reduced jitter in audio for  HDMI.

From those pic the PSU has been significantly changed to the 2 channel audio pcb not just the transformer.   Where there's WIMA caps for what looks like PSU rail decoupling they have been changed to SMD around the opamps.   There are advantages of doing this, all beneficial technically as well as cost savings.    Where there's individual diodes for a bridge rectifier there are now 3 individual full wave bridge rectifiers, SMDs of course.

Funny how the ESS 9038 is white in that pic!   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

There are benefits..

You cant see it there but on the website the USB is now better supported for DSD and PCM is up to 786khz.  They also advertised they have circuit to reduced jitter in audio for  HDMI.

From those pic the PSU has been significantly changed to the 2 channel audio pcb not just the transformer.   Where there's WIMA caps for what looks like PSU rail decoupling they have been changed to SMD around the opamps.   There are advantages of doing this, all beneficial technically as well as cost savings.    Where there's individual diodes for a bridge rectifier there are now 3 individual full wave bridge rectifiers, SMDs of course.

Funny how the ESS 9038 is white in that pic!   

there is one odd quirk with the hdmi in that both hdmi audio and video have to be used if wanting the jitter reduction :) not really sure how that is implemented in practice :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, :) al said:

there is one odd quirk with the hdmi in that both hdmi audio and video have to be used if wanting the jitter reduction :) not really sure how that is implemented in practice :)

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/blu-ray-udp-205-Features.aspx

it explains it in the specs.

IMG_1376.PNG

IMG_1375.PNG

I wonder if InterDyn in Melbourne has stock to go, since it is likely that Oppo Digital was waiting till intercontinental distributors to have stock, that seems how they have done it in that past. The parent company in the US have "Buy Now" showing, but the Aussie not yet. Maybe tomorrow?

16 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

it explains it in the specs.

yeah the only way i can see that setup is being used for music only as they suggest there, i.e. for pcm and dsd source and then id have hooked up for std dmi for movies i.e. audio and video.  it interests me the hdmi audio only and jitter reduction aspect as what benefit that might bring :)

6 minutes ago, Joe Rasmussen said:

I wonder if InterDyn in Melbourne has stock to go, since it is likely that Oppo Digital was waiting till intercontinental distributors to have stock, that seems how they have done it in that past. The parent company in the US have "Buy Now" showing, but the Aussie not yet. Maybe tomorrow?

probably worth checking with them, the lifestyle offer which I received via email said arriving may. people in the us are receiving or received already :)