Oppo UHD 4K Owners & Discussion Thread

Today I had the chance to play the same 6Ch blu ray material on both the 105 and 203 (which incidentally updated again on boot up via cable internet connection) A few observations and a question resulted. The 203 got its source via a usb copy, while the 105 was streaming but both were the same source blu ray. a 4k 75" Sony TV was used for the display via the marantz amp.

1. The image was finer and more detailed on the 203, mostly more apparent on skin close ups and heavily detailed scenery than on the 105. No jitter or playback issues here.

2. The 203 playing triggered the Velodyne subby but the 105 did not, I cannot explain why that was so, can any one?

Edited by agelessgoodguy
added more info

Today I had the chance to play the same 6Ch blu ray material on both the 105 and 203 (which incidentally updated again on boot up via cable internet connection) A few observations and a question resulted. The 203 got its source via a usb copy, while the 105 was streaming but both were the same source blu ray. A 4k 75" Sony TV was used to display the film.

1. The image was finer and more detailed on the 203, mostly more apparent on skin close ups and heavily detailed scenery than on the 105. No jitter or playback issues here.

2. The 203 playing triggered the Velodyne subby but the 105 did not, I cannot explain why that was so, can any one?

Edited by agelessgoodguy
Added more info

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 5:07 PM, agelessgoodguy said:

Today I had the chance to play the same 6Ch blu ray material on both the 105 and 203 (which incidentally updated again on boot up via cable internet connection) A few observations and a question resulted. The 203 got its source via a usb copy, while the 105 was streaming but both were the same source blu ray. a 4k 75" Sony TV was used for the display via the marantz amp.

The 203 playing triggered the Velodyne subby but the 105 did not, I cannot explain why that was so, can any one?

Can only think of 3 possibilities ageless ; your Marantz has per input bass management settings and one of those is set for small speakers with a  lower low pass xover ? Or extra summed low pass audio from your surrounds to the lfe channel ..

Or long shot ; you had the 105 using its multi analog outs with separate B/M settings rather than its hdmi . I like to give single components a couple of inputs sometimes ;one digital ;one analog ; do you have similar considering the extra you paid for the 105's analog stage ?

Or the streaming source did not have a lfe channel at all which would explain everything ; Ive downloaded video's with 5ch AAC audio only ; maybe it was just remuxed audio ?

Talk about the Oppo UHD Player, has a firmware been released to fix the audio drop issues Also has there been any improvement on the softness of the Picture Quality via any firmware updates. I have been missing on this thread for a while and asking for any updates on these issues.

Thanks

If you just want to play back iso and BDVM why not go for a good quality media player?

I personally like the ease of use with the Oppo.  I have the 93 and will be selling it soon.

I also have the Nvidia Shield for a few months now.  I haven't really played with it too much.  Does it support ISO and BDMV  (without Cinavia) via HDD?

1 hour ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

Talk about the Oppo UHD Player, has a firmware been released to fix the audio drop issues Also has there been any improvement on the softness of the Picture Quality via any firmware updates. I have been missing on this thread for a while and asking for any updates on these issues.

Thanks

the latest update has it seems provided some picture quality improvement, and this even though they are on record saying the picture before was "reference" and shouldnt be improved upon. I did note a recent post since then though saying the upscale on their display was still better ?

havent seen too much re drop outs, though not sure if 100% completely sorted.

personally i think i will still wait to see when 205 gets released though it seems still keeping a low profile...

I'll look into those suggestion cwt thank you, I've also re-run Deep Sea Horizon past the area where it stubled before and now it just plays as expected, thinking is the latest update "fixed" that one. Tried out The Accountant too, whoa doesn't those anti aircraft gun repercussion knock into you via the sub, good fun and reminds me a lot of The American only more and better.

12 hours ago, said:

personally i think i will still wait to see when 205 gets released though it seems still keeping a low profile...

I have not purchased anything in 4K payers yet but was willing to give the Oppo 203 4K player a last chance before I buy the Panna.

So there is a hint on a New 4K player coming out? or is it going to be like the older 1080p series being the 103 to 103D and the 105 which was the one for analogue Amp uses

6 hours ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

I have not purchased anything in 4K payers yet but was willing to give the Oppo 203 4K player a last chance before I buy the Panna.

So there is a hint on a New 4K player coming out? or is it going to be like the older 1080p series being the 103 to 103D and the 105 which was the one for analogue Amp uses

The latter Blackman ; and their running low on time ;)

UDP-205 Coming April 2017

• btw ; the lower price pana's have surfaced if you don't need a fancy analog stage and can wait a bit :)
Edited by cwt

from a russian poster on avs, a report that the 205 will be premiered at a moscow hifi show on the 20-22nd April :) 

"Good day to everyone. 
I've been a reader of this topic for some time and decided to register today because I hope that the news I post will be interesting for those who are waiting for 205 model from Oppo. 
According to the press release hifishow.ru/visitors/press/news/oppo-na-hi-fi-high-end-show-2017 the new Oppo player will be presented at Moscow hi-fi and high end show on 20-22 April. Sorry for posting link in Russian - there is no English version of this article. 
Brief translation:
The Newest and highly anticipated 4? UHD player OPPO UDP-205 will be presented at the show. UDP-205 will be a source in both cinema and audiophile stereo systems. The player will be connected to 55" Loewe panel and EgglestonWorks loudspeakers. (no further details provided). 
The rest of the article is dedicated to SONICA DAC demonstration and its technical details. 
I will post here if new information will come up."

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fhifishow.ru%2Fvisitors%2Fpress%2Fnews%2Foppo-na-hi-fi-high-end-show-2017%2F&edit-text=&act=url

Why are you guys being suckers for punishment? 

Just buy the Panasonic UB900 for $648 and a separate SACD/CD player and be done with it. Oppo has lost the plot, the 203 is a POS unit that shouldn't have seen light of day before it's gremlins have been sorted out. The 205 will be no different I suspect. Send a message to Oppo by boycotting their products till they do the right thing by their customers.

The UB900 works out of the box and doesn't have UI latency issues like my previous Oppo 93 had. I've learnt my lesson - stick to Panasonic. 

Edited by Sir Triode
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Sir Triode said:

Why are you guys being suckers for punishment? 

Just buy the Panasonic UB900 for $648 and a separate SACD/CD player and be done with it. Oppo has lost the plot, the 203 is a POS unit that shouldn't have seen light of day before it's gremlins have been sorted out. The 205 will be no different I suspect. Send a message to Oppo by boycotting their products till they do the right thing by their customers.

The UB900 works out of the box and doesn't have UI latency issues like my previous Oppo 93 had. I've learnt my lesson - stick to Panasonic. 

Or or at least wait a few months for the bugs to be ironed out. I experienced absolutely no issues with the BDP-105D but it had been around for a couple of years when I purchased a new one.

31 minutes ago, PeteD said:

Or or at least wait a few months for the bugs to be ironed out. I experienced absolutely no issues with the BDP-105D but it had been around for a couple of years when I purchased a new one.

Now put yourself in my shoes when I purchased the original 105.  That's 4yrs prior and the issues I had including the crap support from Interdyn that was zero support!   Since the day I pulled the 105 out of the box I felt like a guinea pig!  To this day I'm still a guinea pig; they just updated FW a few months sgo!

• Like 2

I figured that Oppo UDP-205 will be like the 1080p model 105 of 2 years.

I wonder if they will improve the video issue on the 205 that they have on the 203 or the video to be the same. If they have fixed the Issue with the Video and make it as good or better than the Panasonic UB900 it might be worth buying it.

2 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Now put yourself in my shoes when I purchased the original 105.  That's 4yrs prior and the issues I had including the crap support from Interdyn that was zero support!   Since the day I pulled the 105 out of the box I felt like a guinea pig!  To this day I'm still a guinea pig; they just updated FW a few months sgo!

Yeah, fair enough. And I must admit that I wasn't using the 105 to spin Blu-ray so was unaffected by the associated bugs. I was very happy with the "Streamer DAC" experience.

2 hours ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

I wonder if they will improve the video issue on the 205 that they have on the 203 or the video to be the same. If they have fixed the Issue with the Video and make it as good or better than the Panasonic UB900 it might be worth buying it.

Video is usually identical on Oppo releases. It just ups the analogue stage for the xx5 releases

5 hours ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

3 things to consider Blackman ; do  you want to pay over the odds for a universal sacd ;dvd audio player with the oppo or [ if you have any of these audio types] just buy a hard drive and plug it into a Panasonic [ that can play dsd etc files anyway ] The pana models also have 4k Netflix ; oppo left this out unlike in the past.. 

4K NETFLIX, 4K YouTube(TENTATIVE) Playback yes*3*5
4K NETFLIX with HDR, 4K Amazon(TENTATIVE) yes

and the new ub400 loses the fancy analog stage to be a digital transport ..similarly like the oppo 203 only probably cheaper

Other factor is dolby vision ; oppo will have it ; Panasonic has HDR10 instead ..

6 hours ago, Blackman1503561291 said:

4 K Netflix is a Joke for our internet speeds. We will have NBN in 3 Months but our node is 1200 M away and we will get no speed at that distances.

Fair enough ; if you don't want dsd or dvd-a playback then you can buy a motza of uhd discs for the difference B)