Oppo UHD 4K Owners & Discussion Thread

30 minutes ago, agelessgoodguy said:

Ok I checked the FW and was informed by my 203 that it indeed had the latest FW installed so drew a blank on that one, as for the remote setting mine reports that the remote code is identical to that set in the remote so that page shown above automatically changes as one changes the switch in the battery compartment of the remote. No luck there either.

hi ageless cant help re the remote code as never needed to do myself, re firmware, just follow the link in my post above, reposted below 

all instructions needed are there on how to do. its simply matter odd loading onto a usb stick plugging into the player and following instructions that are also on the page ... or refer to the manual if want more on how to do firmware updates off a usb stick.

be worth doing the update with the beta as quite likely might fix some of the issues having. well have to give them the best chance :)

ok just getting onto oppo 205 news,

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/

as can see its been updated to arriving April 2017

Blu-ray-UDP-205.png

also this note that clarifies a bit more on release date,

"...i just called OPPO to find out when they will be accepting orders for the 205 and the response was mid April...so...one never knows when the actual date will be unless you've signed up for notification via your email and/or checking the OPPO web site often..."

and the note below, thats indicative of pricing,

"Gents- I wanted to share the latest and greatest I was fortunate to receive from Oppo this morning.

Yaphet,

The UDP-205 will likely be released by the end of April and will retail between $1299 and $1399 when it is released. It will have the latest ESS ES9038Pro DACs and have digital coaxial, optical and Asynchronous USB DAC inputs, a headphone amplifier, multi-channel analog and dedicated stereo analog outputs, stereo XLR output and a single HDMI input for audio and video.

Best Regards, 

Customer Service 
OPPO Digital, Inc. 
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
Service@oppodigital.com 
Tel: 650-961-1118 
Fax: 650-961-1119"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jventer said:

@al

If that is all the stuff the 205 will do it is going to be a fantastic machine.

(and then I would hopefully pick up a 105 for a reasonable price :) )

hi jventer, yes can imagine the 105 is going to be astounding buying, already people seem to have them surfacing at what is likely half the pricer the 205 likely go for. so no doubt be some good options am sure very reasonably priced :)

i just wonder if oppo indeed will bring back the media player capabilities of the oppo with the 205 as that is probably something very lacking versus the previous 105 version.

• Like 1

Right you can flash back to the last official release but you can't flash back to the jailbreak.  I put the latest beta on mine and it will not go back to the jailbreak.

Because the latest beta is 2 versions above the last Jailbreak...

You can go from beta to the previous release version only.

Tried playing files from my ESATA/USB 3.0B version Docking station, Oppo is not able to detect the files, takes forever to load. Anyone having this issue?

Doesnt work when using the Hard disc connected to the docking station and USB 3.0 to Oppo 203

Works perfectly, no issues when connecting using this type of USB3.0 connection

Both disc in NTFS format

Tried playing files from my ESATA/USB 3.0B version Docking station, Oppo is not able to detect the files, takes forever to load. Anyone having this issue?

Doesnt work when using the Hard disc connected to the docking station and USB 3.0 to Oppo 203

Works perfectly, no issues when connecting using this type of USB3.0 connection

Both disc in NTFS format

Not true. I am able to use the ext HDD dock with the same type of connection (USB 3.0 Type B connection at one end) feeding to my Oppo UDP-203 and have no issue reading and playback media content. In fact, Oppo does it so well this time that it loads almost instantly compared to its predecessor, the Oppo BDP-103D. I guess the higher processing chip used for this new 4K model really helps.

Workaround - Do a chkdsk or scandsk on your external HDD using your Windows desktop PC. This usually works. If there is any bad or corrupted sectors, it will also tell you. Sometimes the MBR is corrupted which resulted in Oppo having problem trying to read the files in the HDD. To ensure that it is not the USB HDD dock issue or the cable issue, try another external HDD to confirm. Always make sure that you do the proper "ejecting of the HDD" after you complete transferring your media files from the desktop PC to the external HDD. Simply turn off the dock and remove the HDD will result on bad sector over time which can be a contributing factor to what you experience.

The least likely, but still "possible" is the USB cable itself. Swap to a different/new cable.

Good luck!

Thanks Desray for the headsup. I will run a chkdisk to check if the harddrive itself is a problem. Strange thing is i dont have this issue when playing on the popcorn media player.

I will check the MBR architecture and partition with testdisk and see if it needs to be fixed. Glad to know it is not an issue.

Chkdsk no errors on hard drive. The only difference is one formatted with a GPT structure and the normal hard disk is MBR structure. What is the size of the hard drive when using the docking station? Both hard drive with GPT structure not able to play on the Oppo , gotta find a way to convert it to MBR without losing the data

Chkdsk no errors on hard drive. The only difference is one formatted with a GPT structure and the normal hard disk is MBR structure. What is the size of the hard drive when using the docking station? Both hard drive with GPT structure not able to play on the Oppo , gotta find a way to convert it to MBR without losing the data

That's also the next question I am about to ask you :P

Most of my external HDD is formatted in MBR for backward compatibility with some media players that only reads MBR. GPT is slowly replacing MBR as it does not need to create an extended partition for capacity > than 3TB iirc.

I doubt there is a way to convert a GPT formatted drive to the older MBR format. This is what I did for any new HDD I purchased. Take note I am using Windows 10 64 bit OS.

For every new HDD, you need to manage the disk first. Initialize the HDD and perform a "simple" formatting. Make sure you DO NOT change the default settings. Simply accept it and allow the quick formatting to be performed. That's it.

Transfer some media files over to the HDD. That's it. It will work. I did a check in the past regarding the type of external HDD format accepted by their media players and GPT formatted drive should not have a problem but MBR is definitely the preferred choice since it is recognizable by many AV equipment like bluray players and even Chromebooks etc.

OK thanks Desray. Looks like i gotta find a way to move 8TB of "favourite" movies to another hard disk, re-format its structure to MBR then move it back.......  :(

No choice as i love the oppo 203!

Found the problem causing Oppo 203 not to be able to read the Hard drive. Here is a solution in case you come across a similar situation like me.

DL the AOMEI Asst Partition tool, and install it normally. Its FREE. NO adware etc.

When the programme started, i noticed that the 2 particular disk on docking station had a separate unallocated partition with a * marking, with a FLAG GPT,MSR - 128MB. I highlighted that and deleted that partition, then merged it with the existing and suddenly all works! Oppo now able to read the disk. No more spinning. So nothing to do with MBR or GPT structure. Both works for the Oppo 203. Data intact :)

Cheers!

New Firmware Update

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/UDP203-firmware-42-0329.aspx

Release date: April 6, 2017.

Category: Latest Official Release

Main Version: UDP20X-42-0329

Loader Version: TF0032

MCU Version: MCU203-01-1118

Release Notes:

This release is for the OPPO UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-ray Disc Player.

Special Notice:

Once this firmware version is installed on the player, you will not be able to revert back to any previous official or public beta firmware. There will be no problem upgrading to any future official or beta firmware release.

Comparing to the previous Official release version UDP20X-38-0222, the major changes included in this version are:

Added support for the OPPO UDP-20X MediaControl app, which turns your mobile device into a remote that provides complete control over your OPPO 4K UHD Blu-ray player. Please select from the following device types to download the application: iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch, Android, Android (APK), Amazon App Store.

Added the Dolby Digital and DTS options under the S/PDIF Output setting in Audio Output Setup, which allows the player to re-encode different audio formats into the Dolby Digital or DTS audio format for the S/PDIF output.

Improved the output accuracy when using the RGB PC Level color space.

Resolved a frame dropping issue when using cable or satellite boxes through the HDMI In.

Improved A/V sync when using the HDMI In.

Resolved an issue where the Full zoom mode would not fill the screen when playing 4:3 content.

Improved stability when accessing SMB servers.

Resolved an issue where ejecting the disc tray could lock up the player.

General disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples.

All features of the previous firmware are also included in this version.

New Firmware Update

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/UDP203-firmware-42-0329.aspx

Release date: April 6, 2017.

Category: Latest Official Release

Main Version: UDP20X-42-0329

Loader Version: TF0032

MCU Version: MCU203-01-1118

Release Notes:

This release is for the OPPO UDP-203 4K UHD Blu-ray Disc Player.

Special Notice:

Once this firmware version is installed on the player, you will not be able to revert back to any previous official or public beta firmware. There will be no problem upgrading to any future official or beta firmware release.

Comparing to the previous Official release version UDP20X-38-0222, the major changes included in this version are:

Added support for the OPPO UDP-20X MediaControl app, which turns your mobile device into a remote that provides complete control over your OPPO 4K UHD Blu-ray player. Please select from the following device types to download the application: iPhone / iPad / iPod Touch, Android, Android (APK), Amazon App Store.

Added the Dolby Digital and DTS options under the S/PDIF Output setting in Audio Output Setup, which allows the player to re-encode different audio formats into the Dolby Digital or DTS audio format for the S/PDIF output.

Improved the output accuracy when using the RGB PC Level color space.

Resolved a frame dropping issue when using cable or satellite boxes through the HDMI In.

Improved A/V sync when using the HDMI In.

Resolved an issue where the Full zoom mode would not fill the screen when playing 4:3 content.

Improved stability when accessing SMB servers.

Resolved an issue where ejecting the disc tray could lock up the player.

General disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples.

All features of the previous firmware are also included in this version.

Thanks Ahduck for the updates. Seems like good to go as i have experienced these three issues as described. Will give this a try today

General disc compatibility improvements based on recent and upcoming UHD Blu-ray releases as well as user-submitted disc samples.<--However, there is no mentioned of it being resolved, just improvement, how much improvement remains to be seen

Resolved a frame dropping issue when using cable or satellite boxes through the HDMI In.<-- Resolved!! good!

Improved A/V sync when using the HDMI In. <-- No mentioned of resolved, just improvement

Found the problem causing Oppo 203 not to be able to read the Hard drive. Here is a solution in case you come across a similar situation like me.

DL the AOMEI Asst Partition tool, and install it normally. Its FREE. NO adware etc.

When the programme started, i noticed that the 2 particular disk on docking station had a separate unallocated partition with a * marking, with a FLAG GPT,MSR - 128MB. I highlighted that and deleted that partition, then merged it with the existing and suddenly all works! Oppo now able to read the disk. No more spinning. So nothing to do with MBR or GPT structure. Both works for the Oppo 203. Data intact :)

Cheers!

Glad to know its been resolved...

Installed the latest FW, fuss free. Three minute job.

This is one of the main selling point of Oppo, they listen and take care of their customers, even though they are not as big as the Denon/Onkyo/Yamaha companies out there.

I don't have any insider info, but I suspect that they are trying to perfect this 203 and solve the general 4k and platform teething issues before they release the higher 205.

The operating system will be similar, just better parts, so getting this one right is vital. Then the 205 flagship can be released and get lauded by critics.

Right now it's a new world, so anything that is released will get snafus and a lot of flak. It's important to get the operation smooth first.

On 3/31/2017 at 7:52 PM, :) al said:

i just wonder if oppo indeed will bring back the media player capabilities of the oppo with the 205 as that is probably something very lacking versus the previous 105 version.

What is it lacking? I find the 105 to be sub standard so if the 203 / 205 is less than that Oppo is in real trouble.

No streaming apps, audio or video. 

by the way they have turned the last beta over to public for those wanting to download straight to player.

from all accounts end of month release for the 205. Gee I wish them a better run than had with the 203...

• Like 1