Oppo UHD 4K Owners & Discussion Thread

Hi John, yes benje got it, will be passing over hdmi no 105 to compare with sorry but can't imagine either being any different bit streaming ?

Over 2ch prob no contest imagine the 105 would run away though be interesting how close I guess :) be an interesting comparison no doubt 

9 hours ago, bassett said:

Also  there seems to be some on here with a great deal to say about the Oppo, BUT don't have one.

that would be me :)

as a potential buyer though i would like to hear everything there is to hear, other sides of the story, pros, contras, the lot ... what it can do, what it cant do, what the box says it can do but cant ... thats what we want to hear ... what i DONT want to hear is that it is seamless, perfect, fantastic and all the glossy bullshit that i can get on any retail brochure

YOU as an owner bear that responsibility ... speak up, and let the buyer make up his own mind

personally i dont give a hoot about measuremetrics or which is the "best" machine, the fact that there are reports that there is a machine than may be better is an appendix to the fact that this player cant play DVDs ... i dont have to be an owner to be "allowed" to post about that

If I've upset anyone with my thinking,  Bad luck and a unhappy new year to you, Normal people will no doubt nod there heads in approval

aside from the fact that you havent upset anybody, what a bizzare statement bassett, those sorts of malcontent wishes are the ones that karma has a tendency to deal with, be sure to keep us posted with your progress :)

most "normal" people dont fanaticise about their choice, they just get on with it and attempt to inform, especially in the field of early adoption

Just a small observation on the  discussion regarding whether  the Oppo is as good or as bad as the Panasonic. 

there is no good or bad, the Oppo is quite a capable player, however i noticed a rabbit hole regarding more than a few owners of BOTH who ARE reporting that the Panasonic has a much better picture quality than the Oppo

i also noticed it cant play DVDs ... that is a huge reason for people like myself ( who dont own an Oppo ) to keep looking around, or to wait...or to give cabinet players a total miss until they get it right

Hi mello (and others considering the UDP-203.

First off I should highlight that I am what some would consider an oppofanboi.  Started with the DVD-980 and also have the BDP-93, HA-1, HA-2, PM1 and even one of their mobile phones (I know the phone is made by a separate entity).  And am very happy with all of those devices.

I've tried successfully every mode of playback since my recent purchase of the 203 - apart from some issues with HDMI Input.  Apparently better HDMI cables will resolve this - yet to be tested.  As best as I can determine I am the only one experiencing this issue and by changing output resolution I can get a video image but no audio.

I've played photos, movies and music from attached storage and also over wifi from my NAS.

I've played DVD CD SACD DVD-A BDMV BD-Audio HDCD and UHD BDR discs all without issue.  I would rate the 203 as a disc spinner par excellence.  Start up time is excellent; disc load time is quicker than anything I've experienced; the convenience features Oppo provide are a real boon too - insert DVD and once loaded press yellow button to avoid the dross at the start of the DVD and go straight to menu; turn on player and rather than wait for it to receive next command hit the eject button on the remote; this works straight away.  Mind you as an Oppo user for some years I've always enjoyed these.

The settings too are quite comprehensive or very simple.  Select auto for everything and it just works (in my setup).  Or tweak away to your hearts content.  Your AVR won't do SACD or DSD? Convert it in the Oppo and send PCM via HDMI or use the analogue outs.  Need to compare the video processing between your 203, AVR and display?  Set the Oppo to output at the video source it's receiving...or pretty much any video resolution you fancy.

I also have the Samsung UHD player and will say I consider the 203 better in every way. Is the Oppo worth twice the press; it is to me.  I've never seen the Panasonic in action so cannot compare.  It is clear though that the Panasonic is not a universal disc player whereas the Oppo plays every optical disc known to mankind.  

I have the HDMI video going to my LG65B6 and audio to my Denon AVR3808.

I may be wrong here (and those experiencing issues please feel free to correct me) but I understand issues are occurring where the 203 is outputting to a FullHD display rather than a UHD display?  Over on AVS forum they are suggesting using the custom resolution to match the Oppo's output to your display.

Mello scribed,

That would be me :)

My comments were not directed at anyone directly, It was simply a generalization , Regardless of what the subject is, there will always be "Google" experts coming out of the woodwork with comments .

And Again,

Aside from the fact that you haven't upset anybody, what a bizzare statement bassett

Can't win them all.

And yet again,

I also noticed it cant play DVDs

May I please quote  "Blairy" on that question.   "I've played DVD CD SACD DVD-A BDMV BD-Audio HDCD and UHD BDR discs all without issue."     

I think the biggest problem is the end user, who goes into menu's without doing any research first, and changes settings, ad-hoc. By the time he's finished he doesn't have a clue as to what the original setting were . Then when things have gone @rse up, he blames the player. As Blairy states. "Select auto for everything and it just works"

Do I own a 203, NO  Do I intend buying one NO.  I have a 93 and a 95, also an earlier  DB-981 HD which came from a seller on here.

The Phillips  player would be a consideration, 

After all they know more about  disc spinners then anyone else, Just how many companies use a Phillips tray assembly

from oppo today, confirming my thoughts .... its encouraging :)

In the future, you should be able to leave everything at AUTO and the player will be able to produce proper video from all sources, including the Home Menu.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bassett said:
Mello scribed,

That would be me :)

My comments were not directed at anyone directly, It was simply a generalization , Regardless of what the subject is, there will always be "Google" experts coming out of the woodwork with comments .

or non owners who complain about non owners ? lol

i offer a perspective as a shopper, i have no problem highlighting and questioning a player that is on offer, one where you need to be HDCP 2.2 compliant  or you wont get a picture at all ... there is hype and then there is caution

re Google, how people get their information does not make the information any less or any more reliable, caveat emptor

case in point : this forum, any forum,  ;-)

Edited by mello yello

10 hours ago, bassett said:

I think the biggest problem is the end user, who goes into menu's without doing any research first, and changes settings, ad-hoc. By the time he's finished he doesn't have a clue as to what the original setting were . Then when things have gone @rse up, he blames the player. As Blairy states. "Select auto for everything and it just works"

and how would an end user do his research ? Google perhaps ? or too unreliable ?

i mean afterall 24 hour ownership does not an exspurt make

we have read posts ( 2 exactly) where owners have not been able to play DVDs, we havent heard back from those owners yet, so until they report back and confirm that "auto" setting solves all problems (without making compromises to PQ or AQ or need to settle on the second best option) at best you are only speculating ... as a non owner yourself

edit: i cant edit a quote into a post, so had to make a separate post ...

Edited by mello yello

12 hours ago, blairy1503559527 said:

Hi mello (and others considering the UDP-203.

First off I should highlight that I am what some would consider an oppofanboi.  Started with the DVD-980 and also have the BDP-93, HA-1, HA-2, PM1 and even one of their mobile phones (I know the phone is made by a separate entity).  And am very happy with all of those devices.

I've tried successfully every mode of playback since my recent purchase of the 203 - apart from some issues with HDMI Input.  Apparently better HDMI cables will resolve this - yet to be tested.  As best as I can determine I am the only one experiencing this issue and by changing output resolution I can get a video image but no audio.

I've played photos, movies and music from attached storage and also over wifi from my NAS.

I've played DVD CD SACD DVD-A BDMV BD-Audio HDCD and UHD BDR discs all without issue.  I would rate the 203 as a disc spinner par excellence.  Start up time is excellent; disc load time is quicker than anything I've experienced; the convenience features Oppo provide are a real boon too - insert DVD and once loaded press yellow button to avoid the dross at the start of the DVD and go straight to menu; turn on player and rather than wait for it to receive next command hit the eject button on the remote; this works straight away.  Mind you as an Oppo user for some years I've always enjoyed these.

The settings too are quite comprehensive or very simple.  Select auto for everything and it just works (in my setup).  Or tweak away to your hearts content.  Your AVR won't do SACD or DSD? Convert it in the Oppo and send PCM via HDMI or use the analogue outs.  Need to compare the video processing between your 203, AVR and display?  Set the Oppo to output at the video source it's receiving...or pretty much any video resolution you fancy.

I also have the Samsung UHD player and will say I consider the 203 better in every way. Is the Oppo worth twice the press; it is to me.  I've never seen the Panasonic in action so cannot compare.  It is clear though that the Panasonic is not a universal disc player whereas the Oppo plays every optical disc known to mankind.  

I have the HDMI video going to my LG65B6 and audio to my Denon AVR3808.

I may be wrong here (and those experiencing issues please feel free to correct me) but I understand issues are occurring where the 203 is outputting to a FullHD display rather than a UHD display?  Over on AVS forum they are suggesting using the custom resolution to match the Oppo's output to your display.

thanks blairy, comprehensive and precise, one or two things there i wouldnt do myself, but as claytons workarounds i spose they would work (DSD to PCM for example )

i read somewhere about the auto setting as well

yes some regrettable issues are caused by the HDCP2.2 copy protection preventing you watching 4K on a FullHD display,

Edited by mello yello

30 minutes ago, mello yello said:

thanks blairy, comprehensive and precise, one or two things there i wouldnt do myself, but as claytons workarounds i spose they would work (DSD to PCM for example )

i read somewhere about the auto setting as well

yes some regrettable issues are caused by the HDCP2.2 copy protection preventing you watching 4K on a FullHD display,

Agree re workarounds mello.  I let the AVR do the DSD conversion but not all AVRs have that capability.  Most serious workaround I've come across with Oppo BDPs is using the analogue outs with the Oppo speaker calibration function (manual of course) to connect to a power amp.  Apparently it does the job :-)

HDMI and HDCP standards are a PITA.  To get around this the player allows you to select custom video settings.  Auto is great but sometimes you need to customise it to make it work with your system. 

32 minutes ago, duke said:

According to this user manual it should play DVD's http://download.oppodigital.com/UDP203/UDP-203_USER_MANUAL_ENGLISH_V1.0.pdf

'it' plays DVDs….

it just won't do it natively to a jvc projector….refer specifics already quoted by me earlier in this thread… 

well did a Ben Affleck back to back today, with both Argo and Town on uhd blu-ray,

198581-L-LO.jpg

I have watched argo on blu-ray when came out, and much liked the film so was looking forward to see what uhd brings to it, 1st thing it doesnt have is a 3D audio track. but I can tell you the opening is pretty amazing with the up sampling that dts neural -X does with this sound track. you really feel like you are in that compound with the crowds chanting !

Picture wise keeping in mind this is made with 8mm, 16mm and super 16 and super 35 format probably because of its period nature theres quite a bit of grain which will annoys that dont like grain. I love photography from film days so grain is good as far as am concerned. Compared to blu-ray it is just so clean sharp looking its not a massive jump given source but all the detail there feel is coming through. the film interestingly has a 4k DI as well, so nothing lost in the process I imagine. the pictures too stand out in their richness and more 3D lifelike real look to peoples faces etc due to HDR and WCG both doing their magic. Very much enjoyed the film :)

and yes followed with The Town another ben affleck film,

200083-M-LO.jpg

this too without a 3D audio track but up sampled well with neural-X though not quite with as much impact as Argo. Picture wise this one too filmed on super 35 and with evident grain, only a 2k DI but I tell you what there are some gorgeous pics through and come up a treat through the oppo-ivc. lovely rich colours, skin tones and there is the look of film with grain which I love all way through. another film doing very well with HDR and WCG adding well to the richness and depth of the images. took some screen shots below while only capture a fraction of what see in person will give some appreciation of what the oppo can put up...

31094233814_13e5fc798b_h.jpg

31817402241_3ecb8cd67d_h.jpg

31560999350_9e5418c421_h.jpg

31897089606_912ec2d3b2_h.jpg

Just tested the Oppo 203 for media playback. NO issues with USB3.0 soft copy playback, able to pass through Atmos, DTS X, MA,LPCM and TrueHD. Pic quality is much better compared to popcorn Vten. A check on the video info shows 12bit colour depth 4:4:4. side by side comparison with the media player, im now having second thoughts if i still need to keep the Popcorn. Anyway, both not able to play BD ISO and no full BD menu if using Hard disc to playback. Streaming through PC and Network no issues as well.

Something i came across on the settings of 203, any idea what these filter characteristics are doing? Not able to find it on the manual

It's new tech...

So bound to have some glitches..

Jus like the XBOX ONE S...

Hardware is there..

But fine tuning the software part is the hardest..

Different studios with different encryption methods make 4K UHD Discs glitchy..

Jus got to wait for numerous firmware upgrades...

So jailbreak software if bought now, is not a good idea..

Unless it's a buy once n get jb updates forever..

Catching up game..

On network, I could not scroll pass files/folders when having more than 250ish media files or folders, or is limited file numbers a feature? This coming from one who had a 83SE (with no network play), no experience with oppo 9x an 10x series.

AKM DAC is not very good, very boomy and flabby bass presentation (or maybe it's my too thick power cord).

AKM is velvety...

Not hard sounding..

ESS is totally different..

To each his own..

Different ears...

No chip is better than the other.

All up to personal preference..