Oppo UHD 4K Owners & Discussion Thread

one of the things to keep in mind with posts like that is to keep in mind some of the literally MASSIVE screens some of these people run. many cant even get enough lumens on the screen given the size to really justify hdr. it is a challenge in deed HDR with the level of light output vs gorgeous blacks the jvcs do. with my relatively smaller screen I've found good compromise especially where its been setup correctly with the 10x trick. so still get benefit of HDR but not blowing things to extremes.

i will still explore this side for sure nad have always wanted to just didnt want to with the mucking about with the fury that was how it was done previously. i am encouraged by dave vaughns notes re how the oppo does HDR stripping. he runs a slightly smaller screen than mine ! and if it is something of benefit I will sure want to check that out :) the benefit we will get is its easier on our lamps... and yes better blacks colour rendition i can imagine...plus we still get the full benefit of WCG. what am unsure about is the interaction HDR has with WCG and whether we will loose without that... ? question to be answered. great we have that option with the OPPO :) and am sure to explore ! 

• Like 1

how is the load times? This has been a bug bear of mine from the original early Bluray days.

I'm sure these bugs will be ironed out in time.

22 minutes ago, :) al said:

hi kazz, yes oppo are very proactive I agree, so hopefully get there. 

re pq with strip meta data, sorry like yourself probably wont get to it till the weekend, I still also want to understand more what the setting actually does and how it is different to say the HDR "off" setting ? the metadata thing is an undocumented feature not even in the manual ! doesnt even come up when toggling through via the remotes HDR button ! 

This had me scratching my head. Glad you are confused as well. Never heard of stripping metadata before...

Can't believe Oppo let this thing out in the wild with this firmware. Better fix it quick smart. Surely they knew there would be a huge black lash to functionality in it's current guise.

• Like 2

Just now, blybo said:

how is the load times? This has been a bug bear of mine from the original early Bluray days.

I'm sure these bugs will be ironed out in time.

This had me scratching my head. Glad you are confused as well. Never heard of stripping metadata before...

Can't believe Oppo let this thing out in the wild with this firmware. Better fix it quick smart. Surely they knew there would be a huge black lash to functionality in it's current guise.

VERY quick...much quicker... more quieter. than the sammy.

I know it sounds like a few things ... but look i'll tell it like it is... am sure there are others caught up in the new toy and dont like to see any tarnish. I dont see it as tarnish rather feed this back and hopefully it gets sorted soon. oppo are good... i hope they can come to party. some of the things have mentioned will be no relevance to some either ... eg pal dvd seems to be lessoning concern for enthusiasts ... even though if you walk in to coles and they sell DVDs for the masses ... coles dont have stuff on shelves unless it moves theyre ruthless so I suspect in australia at least DVDs are still a concern. though quite possibly for not the enthusiast end of things where oppo plays.

same with multiple displays how many people run that ?

the concern of playing a uhd into a normal non uhd tv ? how many are going to do that ? possible catch people out buying a player in hope of upgrading their tv one day ?

i pick these things up because I want a system that works as seamlessly as possible not something family members etc are constantly going to trip up on. oh no you cant do that...to play your dorothy dinosaur dvd you have to do this... why am I getting this message ... oh sorry you need to change the resolution setting to this toggle that button...blah blah blah... 

anyways hopefully gets sorted ...

• Like 2

• Volunteer
2 minutes ago, :) al said:

i pick these things up because I want a system that works as seamlessly as possible not something family members etc are constantly going to trip up on. oh no you cant do that...to play your dorothy dinosaur dvd you have to do this... why am I getting this message ... oh sorry you need to change the resolution setting to this toggle that button...blah blah blah... 

anyways hopefully gets sorted ...

I don't think any of the issues that are present at the moment are insurmountable and we are the early adopters I guess so there will all we be a certain number of issues we have to deal with. 

As for the pal DVD issue you're having, I'll drag out one of mine over the weekend and see if I can replicate it and then see if there's any difference with the rf mod when I get it, I'm not sure if it will make any difference or not but can't hurt to experiment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kazz said:

I don't think any of the issues that are present at the moment are insurmountable and we are the early adopters I guess so there will all we be a certain number of issues we have to deal with. 

As for the pal DVD issue you're having, I'll drag out one of mine over the weekend and see if I can replicate it and then see if there's any difference with the rf mod when I get it, I'm not sure if it will make any difference or not but can't hurt to experiment.

that will be great kazz, look forward to what you find... I'll try a few other dvds too, just in case a particular disc issue or something :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, djOS said:

I guess they never expected ppl to plug a 4k player into 1080p displays.....

they really really really really really weally wheelie even have to be kidding ... or youre being sarcastic Dj lol

its obviously early adopter days, but what the hell are trying to achieve ? buyer beware and all that, sure, but seriously ? i know we all know, but are there any labelling or stickers or anything even that says

"due to our corporate greed and carefully planned market strategies and certain restrictions that we have implemented to keep you spending money we regret to inform you that you may not be able to actually USE THIS PRODUCT upon instillation"

at least at the bottom of the box where they know you will look ?

• Volunteer
6 minutes ago, :) al said:

that will be great kazz, look forward to what you find... I'll try a few other dvds too, just in case a particular disc issue or something :)

Good idea you never know it could be a disc issue, wouldn't be the first time the actual disc has been the issue.  :P

Edited by Kazz
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, djOS said:

In all seriousness, there's zero benefit from plugging a 4k player into a 1080p TV imo.

There no HDR support on any 1080p TV and without that 4k UHD is completely pointless.

there are quite a few early adopters who bought 4K TVs that arent HDCP2.2 compliant but besides, i should be able to plug a new player anywhere i want for any reason i choose

edit: watch a YouTube 4K clip on a normal res screen then set it to 1080P ... you will see a difference ...

Edited by mello yello

Did workaround that works:

HDMI main connected to TV, and HDMI Audio only connected to AVR.

You lose on screen, but that seems to be ok.

There's NO prescribed cable, your current high speed cables <5m should all work.

For longer lengths, there is not as much info on the maximum lengths, as HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0b etc are all quite new.

5 minutes ago, djOS said:

In all seriousness, there's zero benefit from plugging a 4k player into a 1080p TV imo.

There no HDR support on any 1080p TV and without that 4k UHD is completely pointless.

Yes there is - some 4k discs come with Atmos, whereas their BR discs don't..

2 minutes ago, djOS said:

Fair enuf, I haven't bothered with Atmos myself, 5.1 is still good enuf despite my AVR supporting 9.2 or 11.2 with external amp.

"due to our corporate greed and carefully planned market strategies and certain restrictions that we have implemented to keep you spending money we regret to inform you that you may not be able to actually USE THIS PRODUCT upon installation"

insincerely

Gordon Gecko

CEO for 4K products and hardware

there are quite a few early adopters who bought 4K TVs that arent HDCP2.2 compliant but besides, i should be able to plug a new player anywhere i want for any reason i choose

edit: watch a YouTube 4K clip on a normal res screen then set it to 1080P ... you will see a difference ...

Those who failed to do their research into the 4k "standards" were doomed from the start.

YouTube is really not worth using as an example - they butcher all sound and video so badly to start with!

29 minutes ago, djOS said:

Those who failed to do their research into the 4k "standards" were doomed from the start.

YouTube is really not worth using as an example - they butcher all sound and video so badly to start with!

am sure oppo will get there, its an obvious bug. if a sammy player can do it ... why not the oppo ... just matter of time :)

Width between footers:

13 inches.

As for the free disc, please read the details on the MO thread. No free disc will come with the first batch - they are rushing to give us our players, and the discs aren't here yet.

The included free disk should be available next week and will be delivered with the MO units...unless there is any change to this there will be notification given in the MO thread.

Please do not pm me or whatsapp wanting an early collection as it will not be possible until at least the eve of the 19th.

Did workaround that works:

HDMI main connected to TV, and HDMI Audio only connected to AVR.

You lose on screen, but that seems to be ok.

There's NO prescribed cable, your current high speed cables <5m should all work.

For longer lengths, there is not as much info on the maximum lengths, as HDCP 2.2, HDMI 2.0b etc are all quite new.

Is it because the AVR does not support HDCP 2.2?

1 hour ago, djOS said:

I guess they never expected ppl to plug a 4k player into 1080p displays.....

people do buy players sometimes in hope of upgrading their display later. and can buy discs now wiht 3D audio for instance as pete mentioned :)