Oppo UHD 4K Owners & Discussion Thread

53 minutes ago, Kazz said:

Yep I think you're right, it strips HDR, I just found this:

This was on the last page of the 203 Anticipation thread.

yes he's confirmed just a typo so means 4k/24 is for uhd blu-ray rather than 1080p/24 which is for blu-ray

been posted as well the array of choices oppo give you, my goodness a few there so will explore... might even have an answer there for my plight in amongst things,

HDR [ Auto | On | Off | Strip Metadata ]
Strip Metadata will get us BT.2020 SDR to our JVC projectors.

Output Resolution [ Auto | Custom | Source Direct ]
Source Direct should output 1080p from the Home screen, 1080p from regular Blu Ray discs, and most likely 4K24 4:2:2 12 bit from UHD discs. I will set e-Shift on in the JVC for the 1080p Blu Ray input as I like what the JVC does with it. Others like Dave will have it turned off.

Custom Resolution [ UHD Auto | UHD 24Hz | UHD 50Hz | UHD 60Hz | 1080pAuto | 1080p 24Hz | 1080p 50Hz | 1080p 60Hz | 1080i 50Hz | 1080i 60Hz | 720p 50Hz | 720p 60Hz | 576p | 576i | 480p | 480i ]
UHD Auto will output 4K24 from UHD discs. And any 4K50/60 source should be output as received.

• Volunteer

Ok so I've just put the Oppo into my system turned everything on, ignored the prompts for Fw upgrade and got the Oppo home screen to come up without any issues.  This is with the Oppo running through the Marantz.

This is the OOTB Oppo settinfgs

F03F15C9-0EE1-40BB-8A90-349CA802260F_zps

And this is what the JVC is showing.

C40B9236-7186-4D68-BB83-4DBF2E65755E_zps

I'm just doing the FW update now and then I'll pop in a disc.

• Like 1

good stuff kazz ! good to see what boots up with prior to the firmware update. not something I checked just went straight through with the update :)

custom 1080p auto you have on, not had an issue with putting through to the projector. following the firmware update mine by default was on their "Auto" setting.

once updated with firmware will be interesting to see what resoltution it settles on :) and whether you can get picture through with their auto setting. for me both Direct and custom 1080p Auto seem to work to get the oppo menu up on the projector screen. DVD get no picture unless its on custom 1080p auto.

if get a chance with a uhd blu-ray be interested to see if get bit depth info coming through

• Volunteer
9 minutes ago, :) al said:

good stuff kazz ! good to see what boots up with prior to the firmware update. not something I checked just went straight through with the update :)

custom 1080p auto you have on, not had an issue with putting through to the projector. following the firmware update mine by default was on their "Auto" setting.

once updated with firmware will be interesting to see what resoltution it settles on :) and whether you can get picture through with their auto setting. for me both Direct and custom 1080p Auto seem to work to get the oppo menu up on the projector screen. DVD get no picture unless its on custom 1080p auto.

if get a chance with a uhd blu-ray be interested to see if get bit depth info coming through

Ok so I did the update and menu came up again, went to set the custom resolution to UHD Auto and got the message that the source was not 4k,  bugger.

Had a play with the Marantz settings and a read of it's manual and worked out I needed to set the ip scaler onin the Marantz setup, changed the resolution and got a blue screen, bugger.

Used the resolution button on the Oppo to toggle settings and up came the picture, yay.  :D

Popped in MM Fury Road, it looks superb and then the first 10 mins of ST Into Darkness and wow.  :love

I didn't get the bit depth info either so not sure what that's about.

About to setup my Harmony now.

• Like 1

two good discs there kazz to demo on. what did you end up settling on with resolution. yes am not sure why the bit depth info is not coming through though thats not a major bother ! 

yes that resolution button on the oppo remote sure is handy :D

• Volunteer
10 minutes ago, :) al said:

two good discs there kazz to demo on. what did you end up settling on with resolution. yes am not sure why the bit depth info is not coming through though thats not a major bother ! 

yes that resolution button on the oppo remote sure is handy :D

I used Source Direct & UHD Auto,  but not the Strip Metadata setting, I'll have a play with that on the weekend.

Yep very handy little button that one.  :P

15 minutes ago, Kazz said:

I used Source Direct & UHD Auto,  but not the Strip Metadata setting, I'll have a play with that on the weekend.

Yep very handy little button that one.  :P

good to hear kazz, if can confirm which res settings you are able to get the oppo main menu showing through to the projector :) 

• Volunteer
2 minutes ago, :) al said:

good to hear kazz, if can confirm which res settings you are able to get the oppo main menu showing through to the projector :) 

The pic I posted of the pj info screen was with the Oppo on the home screen so it was 1080p 50.

• Like 1

• Volunteer
2 minutes ago, :) al said:

ah yes, thats what am finding to work as well :)

we must be doing something right then.  :D

What settings do you have on your Marantz under Video for  output settings when you're on Oppo to PJ?

Just now, Kazz said:

we must be doing something right then.  :D

What settings do you have on your Marantz under Video for  output settings when you're on Oppo to PJ?

mine are just the factory ones kazz,

video mode, auto

video conversion, on

i/p Scaler, analog

- resolution (analog), auto

- progressive mode, auto

- Aspect ration, 16:9

• Like 1

• Volunteer
7 minutes ago, :) al said:

mine are just the factory ones kazz,

video mode, auto

video conversion, on

i/p Scaler, analog

- resolution (analog), auto

- progressive mode, auto

- Aspect ration, 16:9

Ah ok I set mine to i/p scaler HDMI

I'll need to have a play.

1 minute ago, Kazz said:

Ah ok I set mine to i/p scaler HDMI

I'll need to have a play.

yeah if do that it will use the i/p scaler in the marantz for hdmi. by default the ip scaler only is engaged for analog. however video conversion needs to be on if you want the onscreen menu..whcih I do :D 

but yeah not somehing I've played with ... but by all means do see what you find if theres a setting there brings us joy ! :)

• Like 1

Hi Pete,

When u free or possible, appreciate if you could take a photo of bottom of the player.

Cos I'd like to know how far the footers are spaced apart for  length and width..

Thanks

Sent from my Game Boy Advance 32gb 4GLTE/WiFi using Tapatalk