Oppo UHD 4K Owners & Discussion Thread

Hmmm, I'm working in Balwyn today and was going to go straight to Tivoli at lunch to grab one... Now not so sure.

Note even with the Sammy, you still have to let it upscale everything to 4k unless wanting to change resolutions all the time. The Samsung does not have a native pass through option which is what I was particularly after from this player. If I'm going to upscale, I want my display to do it, not the player.

• Volunteer

I'll be picking mine up this afternoon. :party

The one thing I missed in the specs was the fact that HDMI 2 only does audio so I won't be able to run the Oppo direct to the PJ and also use it on the TV, I'll have to run it to the Marantz first and then out to both PJ & TV, not a biggie just surprised I missed that. :oops::P

I've also just ordered the JVB Digital external RF mod for the 203. should be here by early next week. :D

Edited by Kazz
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, blybo said:

Hmmm, I'm working in Balwyn today and was going to go straight to Tivoli at lunch to grab one... Now not so sure.

Note even with the Sammy, you still have to let it upscale everything to 4k unless wanting to change resolutions all the time. The Samsung does not have a native pass through option which is what I was particularly after from this player. If I'm going to upscale, I want my display to do it, not the player.

I have couple of issues with it,

My main problem is when hooked up and powered on I cannot see the Oppo main menu until I select Custom (1080p Auto) resolution setting via he remote control or the Direct setting I cannot see the main oppo menu. Once disc is playing be it blu-ray or uhd ... I can select any resolution setting available and can see the movie be it auto, custom or direct. however if I leave in any the auto resolution I will not see the oppo menu when I hit the stop button on the player. If I then toggle the resolution setting till I get Custom(1080p Auto) o Direct I can then see the main oppo menu again.

another strange one...

and on someones suggestion I though the Direct selection would be my answer...however if I play a dvd (eg the morcheeba PAL local bought DVD) I wont get any picture unless on the custom 1080p auto setting. on Direct or Auto I get no signal reported by the jvc.

so currently have to juggle the resolution button.. one way or the other..

can leave it on DIRECT ... until have to play a dvd ! then have to select Custom 1080p Auto 

or can leave it on Custom 1080p Auto ... until want to play a uhd blu-ray then have to select DIRECT or AUTO

I have to take out of Auto if ever want to see the oppo menu ! :D

its the fun world of the early adopter ! :sarc:

I'll have to make sure I program in that Resolution button when I set up the harmony for the oppo hehe

• Like 1

• Volunteer
1 minute ago, :) al said:

I

and on someones suggestion I though the Direct selection would be my answer...however if I play a dvd (eg the morcheeba PAL local bought DVD) I wont get any picture unless on the custom 1080p auto setting. on Direct or Auto I get no signal reported by the jvc.

so currently have to juggle the resolution button.. one way or the other..

can leave it on DIRECT ... until have to play a dvd ! then have to select Custom 1080p Auto 

or can leave it on Custom 1080p Auto ... until want to play a uhd blu-ray then have to select DIRECT or AUTO

I have to take out of Auto if ever want to see the oppo menu ! :D

its the fun world of the early adopter ! :sarc:

I'll have to make sure I program in that Resolution button when I set up the harmony for the oppo hehe

Glad to hear you have a sort of resolution to the issue, for me that will work as I mainly play UHD or BD1080p, I only really use DVD for the odd tv series.

With some feedback Oppo will hopefully addresds this, as you said, it's the joy of being an early adopter.  :P

Just got the tracking number for the JVB mod and I'll have it by Monday.  :D

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kazz said:

Glad to hear you have a sort of resolution to the issue, for me that will work as I mainly play UHD or BD1080p, I only really use DVD for the odd tv series.

With some feedback Oppo will hopefully addresds this, as you said, it's the joy of being an early adopter.  :P

Just got the tracking number for the JVB mod and I'll have it by Monday.  :D

oh goody ! so I should be getting the jvb mod ? looks cheap at $99 US but gee shipping ? seems a bit crazy ? what did you select for shipping Kazz ? and overall cost ?

DVDs yes mini series, have a lot of concerts and the kids dvds as well, yes hope gets resolved

• Like 1

• Volunteer
53 minutes ago, :) al said:

oh goody ! so I should be getting the jvb mod ? looks cheap at $99 US but gee shipping ? seems a bit crazy ? what did you select for shipping Kazz ? and overall cost ?

DVDs yes mini series, have a lot of concerts and the kids dvds as well, yes hope gets resolved

I got the External Kit  which plugs into the RS232 port on the back of the unit $129 USD and shipping was FedEx Intl. Priority: 1 to 3 business days$ 74.28 not the cheapest one but the quickest, especially with it being a week and a bit out from Xmas. So all up cost was $278 AUD.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Kazz said:

I got the External Kit  which plugs into the RS232 port on the back of the unit $129 USD and shipping was FedEx Intl. Priority: 1 to 3 business days$ 74.28 not the cheapest one but the quickest, especially with it being a week and a bit out from Xmas. So all up cost was $278 AUD.

wow sure adds up doesnt it ! I might hold off a fraction see what gatti might be doing them at. :)

• Like 1

• Volunteer

@:) al 

What are you doing when you switch from the PJ to the TV using the Oppo?  

Are you just changing the resolution to 1080P,

I only have the Sammy connected to the PJ so haven't had to think about this yet.

Just now, Kazz said:

@:) al 

What are you doing when you switch from the PJ to the TV using the Oppo?  

Are you just changing the resolution to 1080P,

I only have the Sammy connected to the PJ so haven't had to think about this yet.

kazz, I have both hooked upto monitor 1 and two on the marantz. so just use the button on the front to switch between :)

generally only have one or the other switched on, not something have switched on the fly with the oppo. will see how the goes. the sammy doesnt seem to mind on the fly switching. it only doesnt like the Dual/auto setting on monitor out and puts both displays down to 1080p when that happens, but if toggle it again the sammy picks up and adjusts itself :)

• Volunteer
Just now, :) al said:

wow sure adds up doesnt it ! I might hold off a fraction see what gatti might be doing them at. :)

David won't have any kits until Feb and I think he uses the bluraychip.dk ones.

I'm too impatient to wait.  :P

• Like 1

• Volunteer
2 minutes ago, :) al said:

kazz, I have both hooked upto monitor 1 and two on the marantz. so just use the button on the front to switch between :)

generally only have one or the other switched on, not something have switched on the fly with the oppo. will see how the goes. the sammy doesnt seem to mind on the fly switching. it only doesnt like the Dual/auto setting on monitor out and puts both displays down to 1080p when that happens, but if toggle it again the sammy picks up and adjusts itself :)

No HDCP, HDMI compatibility problems with the Pio?

Edited by Kazz

Just now, Kazz said:

David won't have any kits until Feb and I think he uses the bluraychip.dk ones.

I'm too impatient to wait.  :P

hehe i havent checked with him, but sounds like you have. yeah being holiday season and with some time off. its a silly time to not have multi region capability. leaves me in a bind whether to sell the sammy or wait. thinking I might just sell anyways and just wait up.

Just now, Kazz said:

No HDCP, HDMI compatibility problems?

with the sammy no problem seems to cope. will check with the oppo and see how the oppo goes...

ps I did have some little issues with the kuro initially as it hdmi CEC control some how switched on and had to turn that off as was doing funny things as the sammy also came with CEC enabled out the box. checked the oppo it has CEC hdmi control switched off ! 

ps I spoke to a interdyn person today, talked through the two or is it 3 issues he said a new firmware update is due soon. we run a separate aussie firmware it seems :)

• Volunteer
38 minutes ago, :) al said:

hehe i havent checked with him, but sounds like you have. yeah being holiday season and with some time off. its a silly time to not have multi region capability. leaves me in a bind whether to sell the sammy or wait. thinking I might just sell anyways and just wait up.

Yep checked with him yesterday, and then I fouond that JVB had theirs in stock already so decided to go that way instead.I've already put my Sammy up in the FS threads and will likely put the 103D up over the next day or so.

35 minutes ago, :) al said:

with the sammy no problem seems to cope. will check with the oppo and see how the oppo goes...

ps I did have some little issues with the kuro initially as it hdmi CEC control some how switched on and had to turn that off as was doing funny things as the sammy also came with CEC enabled out the box. checked the oppo it has CEC hdmi control switched off ! 

ps I spoke to a interdyn person today, talked through the two or is it 3 issues he said a new firmware update is due soon. we run a separate aussie firmware it seems :)

I'll keep the CEC settings in mind when I'm playing around tonight. :)

I hope InterDyn are a little quicker with 203 fw than they are with 103/D fw, they told me soon for 103D fw about 3 months ago and they still haven't come up with the goods. :wacko:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kazz said:

Yep checked with him yesterday, and then I fouond that JVB had theirs in stock already so decided to go that way instead.I've already put my Sammy up in the FS threads and will likely put the 103D up over the next day or so.

I'll keep the CEC settings in mind when I'm playing around tonight. :)

I hope InterDyn are a little quicker with 203 fw than they are with 103/D fw, they told me soon for 103D fw about 3 months ago and they still haven't come up with the goods. :wacko:

have put my sammy up as well, and hope dont regret it :D 

yeah the interdyn guy was fine to talk to. how comes to something though ! 

i contacted oppo direct too... but not a peep out of them. will drop them another line or TWO over night perhaps ...

Al

re region free DVD....

I had to run the any-region DVD on one of my past OPPO's to enable region-free (might have been the current 103D).

I have the disc at home.

I think it was a download, then a burn to disc.  It was a long time ago.

If you want some advice here, PM me and I'll see what I can find.

Note - this is DVD only, not Blu-Ray region free.

Benje

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Benje said:

Al

re region free DVD....

I had to run the any-region DVD on one of my past OPPO's to enable region-free (might have been the current 103D).

I have the disc at home.

I think it was a download, then a burn to disc.  It was a long time ago.

If you want some advice here, PM me and I'll see what I can find.

Note - this is DVD only, not Blu-Ray region free.

Benje

Was the same when I bought my 93. From memory there was a trick to burning the disc, iso image format or some such which escapes me. Anyhoo, I only have around 5 Canadian disc's from the very beginning of DVD sales so not of huge interest to me.

thankyou Benje, something I might do to as an interim will atleast 

do you think its the same as below ?

http://www.multi-region.net/oppo_bdp-83

software things always worry me...especially interaction with hardware and oppos own updates !

apparently the above still works for the 203 so might give a go at some stage :) 

congrats HC ! 

I noted some settings from Dave Vaughn who runs same equip combo as mine, will give these a go later see if helps things ....

My settings are Strip MetaData, Source Direct, UHD Auto, with every other video setting on Auto. This allows 1080p Blu-rays to be output at 1080p and UHD discs to be output at 1080p/24. I only use eShift with 4K sources because I don't like all of the extra processing involved, but that's just me. Others may choose differently.

• Like 3

• Volunteer
12 minutes ago, :) al said:

My settings are Strip MetaData, Source Direct, UHD Auto, with every other video setting on Auto. This allows 1080p Blu-rays to be output at 1080p and UHD discs to be output at 1080p/24. I only use eShift with 4K sources because I don't like all of the extra processing involved, but that's just me. Others may choose differently.

I saw this post too, but a bit confused (I've read so much today I think I've passed saturation point) as to why you would want to play UHD discs in 1080p?

Think I may wait. Will be travelling a whole lot from boxing day to mid Feb so may wait till demand drops and firmware fixes are in place.

2 minutes ago, Kazz said:

I saw this post too, but a bit confused (I've read so much today I think I've passed saturation point) as to why you would want to play UHD discs in 1080p?

Because the JVC's are not "native" 4k? I like UHD for HDR, not better resolution.

• Like 1

• Volunteer
Just now, blybo said:

Think I may wait. Will be travelling a whole lot from boxing day to mid Feb so may wait till demand drops and firmware fixes are in place.

Because the JVC's are not "native" 4k? I like UHD for HDR, not better resolution.

Yeah ok that makes sense, so I'm assuming that the HDR remains in tact, I think that's where my confusion set in, I was thinking it was stripping the HDR.  :unsure::P

• Volunteer
7 minutes ago, :) al said:

I'll ask am sure a typo as he has said no sense in doing that. And yes he only wants to strip hdr

Yep I think you're right, it strips HDR, I just found this:

Do we know yet whether the Oppo will support SDR + WCG playback, and if so, how well it does the conversion? 

Yes, you can strip HDR and get BT2020

This was on the last page of the 203 Anticipation thread.

Edited by Kazz
  • Like 1