Sony Vpl-Vw5000Es

Owen, I completely disagree with you that Contrast is THE most important visual deciding factor on image quality. You are simply wrong. I don't care how many posts you have on this forum, how senior of a member you are here and what your background is (I work in the film industry if we are going to throw around job titles), reading through some threads over the last few days it is very clear that you force your contrast importance agenda on practically anybody who disagrees with you almost to the point of arrogance. It is said so many times and so often that if this were happening in a real face to face conversation with a group of people it would be akin to you yelling over the top of everybody else talking. Entire threads on this Forum are essentially destroyed because of it.

I am not trying to attack you, and I mean what I say in the nicest possible way, but you need to perhaps be more diplomatic in stating your opinions and not running over peoples opinions with your technical arrogance and stating that everything said here other than what you agree with as being incorrect IMO.

When I bought my 300ES and I went and had a good look at a JVC X500 and Sony 500ES in the same room at the very same time and guess what... the 500ES ate the JVC for breakfast and spat it out. There was zero contest. Yes the blacks were 'better' but it ended there... The Sony was significantly sharper, the motion was leagues better with the JVC seeming almost like it was lagging in the picture. The Sony had better ANSI contrast which IS more important than On/Off Contrast and the image all around just appeared to be more natural. I wanted to love the JVC of that generation, it was THOUSANDS of dollars cheaper, but I walked out of that room and thought to myself it was worth spending the extra coin on the Sony. Simple as that. RIch can attest to this as I had some lengthy PM's with him on the very matter...

Fast forward to now, and I am at a point where I would like a lower black floor. Again this is not On/Off contrast but black floor. The Sony is more bright than it needs to be in my room and actually looks best when used with an ND2 filter which cuts the lumens on screen down to about 9fl and halves the black floor. This combo makes the image look excellent with great depth and plenty of brightness for my eyes. The problem is, I went and looked at an X7000 twice and while the Contrast is damn right seducing, my eyes are still seeing things which I believe my Sony does better in spades.

What do I do? I take a step back and a deep breath and still keep an open mind. I need to now go to a dealer who has both the 520/X9000 set up in the same room and hope they will allow me to connect my UHD bluray player and compared the image with a native 4k signal head to head... If I see a very comparable image in sharpness and motion, I will jump on the JVC and take a step 'down' in image resolution (On Paper). I do all this with an open mind looking at a whole spectrum of variables.

I have also NOT been impressed with UHD so far, on my 300ES I cannot see a difference between The Revenant with the amazing Reality Creation on the 1080p disc (Played through my HTPC) vs the Native 4K UHD disk. I have paused the film at many scenes and switched back and forth, even asked my wife to tell me which looks better and for the life of both of us, we cannot see one looking better over the other, and this is sitting only ONE screen height away from a 120in screen. Reality Creation on the Sony's is just that good. End of story.

It looks like this may be the result of lens quality at the end of the day, the Sony lens may simply not be up to the task of delivering absolute sharpness (MTF) for the resolutions I am asking it to display when we are looking at an incredibly well processed and up-scaled image from a 1080p source to a native 4k source. Turn Reality creation OFF and the story is night and day different. It is this revelation alone which is making me go back and have a look at the JVC vs the Sony again, as if I CAN have the contrast performance the JVC is capable of with a nice balance of all those other things then that's the winner. The JVC's now have ANSI which is VERY close to the Sony 4k units, the 3d is flat out better as proven by reviews and more importantly shows in images with Zombi10k's 3d tests. The brightness is higher if I want it, and more importantly for the price point, I can have total control over the Iris without having to move to a 520ES. It will be a result of looking at the whole spectrum objectively and not blindly looking at one single element of the image; The contrast. I hear the JVC lenses are in fact of better quality and if E-Shift looks essentially the same as 4k does on the Sony's lesser lens then I am sold on the JVC.

As for the degradation, it may be a thing, but my unit does not suffer from it after 1200 hours of usage, and yes I have measured it, I am getting 11,300:1 on/off which is still very close to the measured numbers on a new unit from Cine4Home so I can extrapolate that there has been virtually no degradation, in actual fact I bet my contrast is higher with a new lamp as mine will have dimmed slightly over that time. I get 80cd in high lamp mode on my screen.

Is Native Resolution, Lens Quality / MTF, Gamma tracking, Colour Accuracy, Motion Resolution, Sharpness, Pixel Screen Door Effect, Pixel Gap and ANSI contrast not MORE important than simply On/Off contrast?

The Sony 5000 if brightness matched to a JVC displaying average brightness content would be appreciably more punchy and contrasty than a JVC due to more than double the ANSI contrast...

You could have a projector with 1 billion to :1 native contrast but an ANSI of 100:1 and it would be destroyed by a projector with a Contrast Ratio of 5000:1 and an ANSI of 1000:1. Not even a competition. While that example is on the extreme, the theory behind is still scales.

Edited by Javs

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like and agree:) I've been through the same thing on this forum (grew tired of it after a while) and actually I kept an open mind and purchased a new X5000 despite my original intents of going for the 320 or 520ES. Initially I was very impressed by the blacks and contrast but guess what blacks are not everything and I am now back to the Sony camp and am much happier even though I've had to compromise a little on PQ. As you've said an open mind is important and having a one way agenda is just too boring. Just though I chime in as I completely agree with what you wrote especially up top ;) I thought I was the only one on this forum with this view.