Dish Size, 80Cm Vs 85 Cm

Hi,

Access Antennas sells both an 80 cm (82x76) dish and an 85cm dish for $50. I asked for an 85cm dish and was given this "squashed" 80 cm one. When I queried this I was told they are both the same as far as "ability" is concerned. The topic "Reception in southern WA" has been archived, which used to be all about VAST and satellite problems, so unfortunately in my desperation had to fall into this forum, which might be incorrect, my apologies.

Is it correct to say that both dishes have the same "signal catching ability", as I used to have a Strong 85cm one before, which rusted after eight years at the mounts?

By the way, one company in WA, which shall remain nameless, sells the Strong LNB without that all-important grommet. One suspects installers of that company just help themselves to the grommets in the boxes set aside for clients. In fact, that grommet gets special mention in sat fora as it needs at least a bit of silicon or, even better, a special type of insulating tape to keep the moisture out. So selling this LNB without a grommet is asking for trouble. How is the customer attaching the FME end to the LNB then? Have contacted the ES sales office and reported that firm, obviously without getting an answer back.

Thanks.

hi domi

The dish they sold you should be fine, there are plenty of them in use

Not sure what you are calling the grommet, I guess you are talking about the rubber boot that the cable goes through and then is pushed over the connection to the LNB,

Most installers use compression type F connectors that have a rubber ring seal in the thread that seals up the connection and use self amalgamating rubber tape to seal the connection,not sure why they would bother knocking off the boots from the LNB boxes ?

cheers Tazzy

Hi tazzytwoheads,

Thanks for that. Saw the contents of the carton the Strong LNB comes in on Fleabay and it contained the grommet and the LNB. When I tried to buy the article from iTechworld, the grommet was missing. As I am not a professional installer with the correct connectors and rubber tape, I need that grommet. So I walked out of the shop and bought it off Fleabay for the same price.

The dish AccessAntennas sells as an 85 cm dish has a size of 82/76 cm so I returned and got my money back as I walked into the shop and asked for an 85cm one. The invoice calls it an 80cm type. Anyway, found another shop in Perth that sells 80s and 90s, so I will go for the 90 for $82.

I wouldn't be relying on just the boot on those strong LNBs I'd be getting some nitto (or similar) self amalgamating tape around it too. or at the very least some electrical tape. beware mounting your 90cm, it's only a little bigger but gee talk about added wind load so make sure your mounting is into something decent in the roof. especially if you're in a coastal area.

Thanks beeblebrox. My old Strong 85cm was mounted on a pole with three guy wires but pipes would be better. Strong winds, yes! Some of my blue gums in the plantation get flattened. Now you have put the wind up ..........! Will use silicon sealant and electrical tape; thanks for the warning.

domi

if you think wind is going to be a big issue you could consider ground mounting it on a pipe concreted in the ground, it would be easier to adjust and keep an eye on it for maintainance etc.as long as the misses doesn't hang the washing on it.if you must roof mount it use a proper satellite dish mount for a 90cm dish as it will come with adjustable stay arms and all the correct screws and washers to start with and possibly some instructions on how to position the stay arms for a high wind area.Hills also have some stay arm feet for high wind areas that have two scews to the roof and the stay arm bolts to a bolt up through the center of the foot.

cheers Tazzy

Thanks Tazzy for the Hills tip. Have just been looking for pipe fittings (adjustable angle 3 way tee) in the fencing sections to hold the mast to the roof where the dish rises. Hills will have something smaller as some of the gate fittings start from 32 Nominal Bore, which is 42.5 OD, a bit too big.

I tried one of those squashed dishes purchased as part of a caravan kit from Access for a customer last week who is about to travel to north west WA, he wanted a couple of dry runs to see how to set it up.

I couldn't fault the signal from it, of course, it's all up to the user as to what they want or expect..

(I use a 68cm dish when I travel, it gives reasonable results, I just whacked it on the back patio to check it this arvo, still works.

The chair mounting arrangement is not patented, feel free to use it. Bit hard to do that with a round dish :hyper:)

Temporary.jpg