Panasonic Dmp-Ub900 Uhd Blu-Ray Player

The reviews I read that were critical of the sound referred to the pure audio side not offering anything worthwhile despite appearances. Obviously a bit stream is a bit stream so for home cinema there is nothing in this.

Ah I see... hey, your post count just hit 666. :o

• 666 posts

JSmith :ninja:

Mattis:

When it arrives, please do a review, and tell us what discs are in the box..

I am waiting with abated breath :)

dont worry Pete, it wont be The Martian, thats in the Samsung box

check this list here from what i have scrounged around various reviews, clips etc

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/topic/52996-australian-retailonline-blu-ray-bargains/?p=2068151

thattle suit me just fine, i cant afford the headache until its resolved and everything falls into place and the spec is finalised

im happy to get a UHD TV, one thats not wider than my bathroom though, and watch my HDDVDs on it (over and over)

and the occasional BluRay (whenever they release a decent movie)

Edited by mello yello

• 2 weeks later...

Mine still hasn't shipped yet, meanwhile the AUD keeps sliding against the pound and now the player is past the AUD$1K GST threshold :(

Aren't you charged though the rate when you placed and paid for the order rather than when it ships? Or did you mean for others that haven't purchased yet?

A new and nice in depth technical review of the Panasonic player. Certainly the one to beat for now.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-ub900-201605154293.htm

Mine still hasn't shipped yet, meanwhile the AUD keeps sliding against the pound and now the player is past the AUD$1K GST threshold :(

I cancelled mine once got the sammy and found was pretty pleased with it. if you placed your order in aud...then I would think the cost would be locked in ...not sliding ? though the disadvantage would then be is if the dollar started to climb ! :D

one thing have noticed is stuff form uk is we often end up paying quite a bit less if bought here...i think due to exchange and shipping. so happy enough now to see what it launches for here. not convinced at this stage to be paying more than twice the sammy's price for another 1st gen player. and if going to wait might as well wait to see what else is coming. the sammy will do in the mean time :)

Aren't you charged though the rate when you placed and paid for the order rather than when it ships? Or did you mean for others that haven't purchased yet?

No

Taxes if applicable are subject to customs exchange rate at time of importation, including any shipping costs.

If invoice is in AUD, it is ok.

No

Taxes if applicable are subject to customs exchange rate at time of importation, including any shipping costs.

If invoice is in AUD, it is ok.

Correct and I chose to pay in GBP and not AUD due to the usual spread built in. Wishing I hadn't in hindsight. That said Amazon didn't take a customs security deposit originally due to the exchange rate meaning it was well under $1K at the time. Under their policy if the customs deposit is not enough they wear the difference or if it's too much, they refund the difference. I'm unsure what happens if they take more than a month to fulfill an order and the goal posts shift too much. Perhaps they will wear it for me. Time will tell.

Well Amazon UK did the inevitable and emailed me overnight to advise that my Panasonic player has been delayed. The latest date is was meant to arrive in my hands was yesterday by 9pm. They are now saying it will arrive sometime between mid June and mid July. Glad I grabbed a Samsung player from Rio last weekend now :o

• 1 month later...

It looks like VideoPro has stock now " This product is in stock at either our warehouse or retail stores and will be shipping from Brisbane within 1-5 days from purchase"

Is anyone aware of any other stockists? I'm not getting anything on trusty Google.

4 hours ago, timi2fly said:

It looks like VideoPro has stock now " This product is in stock at either our warehouse or retail stores and will be shipping from Brisbane within 1-5 days from purchase"

Is anyone aware of any other stockists? I'm not getting anything on trusty Google.

If you dont want the discs ; below seems reasonable when you compare the US price /exchange rate :) ;

Australia will also have to wait till September with pricing yet to be announced, but the US price converts to $932

http://www.ao3.com.au/product.asp?ManufPartNo=DMP-UB900GNK

Edited by cwt

Video Pro has stock and first shipments went out last Friday afternoon. I got mine yesterday (Monday) in Melbourne. Super happy! I'm so glad I finally got one, it's everything I expected and more.

Amazon kind of did me a favour by taking so long I was faced with the option to cancel and get it cheaper in Australia even despite the big currency shift caused by Brexit.

PS: Anyone after the Samsung UHD player cheap, see the for sale section ;)

Edited by mattis

Yep it's awesome - got mine from video pro on Tuesday :)

Particularly the image processing for those with sdr panels - transposing to hdr via chroma remapping works a treat if you screen is capable of native 10 bit colour processing. Of course if you have a HDR panel then it's a moot point. But it does remap all contents to 4:4:4 if your screen supports that format so its still a benefit. Make sure to dive into the settings !

Edited by Lil Caesar
  • Like 1

Yep it's awesome - got mine from video pro on Tuesday :)

Particularly the image processing for those with sdr panels - transposing to hdr via chroma remapping works a treat if you screen is cabable of native 10 bit colour processing. Of course if you have a HDR panel then it's a moot point. But it does remap all contents to 4:4:4 if your screen supports that format so its still a benefit. Make sure to dive into the settings !

How well does your Pana do stereo reproduction, or is it too early to tell?

Picked up mine today at JB. Finally I have proper UHD HDR playback on my Sony 4K PJ. This thing is fantastic. Runs circles around the Samsung. Very happy. I have a Samsung for sale as well:)

I've also ordered a Philips from the US which is the "mini" Panasonic. Once it gets here I'll put the up for sale as well.

Edited by bandyka

13 hours ago, bandyka said:

Picked up mine today at JB.

It doesn't seem to be on JB's site yet... how much did you pay?

13 hours ago, bandyka said:

This thing is fantastic.

Sweet. :D

JSmith :ninja:

Edited by jsmith