Pioneer Lx73 Repair Or Replace? Are There Cheap Atmos,dts-X Receivers

ols

Video not working on Pio

Out of warranty.

1.Getting Gummie called GC at Westminster Perth to quote repair at no charge (anybody had experience with him?)

Suggests over phone HDMI card and not cheap repair.

Thoughts?

Have 2 channel power amp and ht bypass preamp.

2, Are there cheap atmos and dts-x receivers available yet that would give fairly good video and audio performance.

Is Dolby Atmos/DTS-X an improvement over DTS HDMA/Dolby True HD even with just a conventional speaker setup.

Honestly would not bother with in ceiling speakers.

Are they all fine with 4K pass through as at some stage will get 4K projector (when they are commonplace and reasonably priced)

3.Probably stupid question.

If I don't wish to pay for repair on pio to get video back can I use it as a power amp via preouts.

I know not great amps within these units but thinking it would be better amplification than if I buy cheap Atmos/DTS-X enabled receiver or even can I just buy a processor?

Or am I dreaming?

Just don't want to spend a bunch of money on this stuff at the moment.

Until this Pio shat itself for the last few years have had a good little 7.1 setup with reasonable BenQ projector.

Thought my spending days were over (as did the wife!)

Cheers

Ols

Repair

a couple of reasons, the main one is you mentioned 4K, not a good time to be forced into an upgrade

Just don't want to spend a bunch of money on this stuff at the moment.

you could run the risk of buying a receiver today that may not be HDCP compliant in a years time.

when it does come time to upgrade, at least you will have a LX73 that you can sell to recoup your repair costs (unrepaired its just a worthless brick)

just my 2cents re investing to overcome loss

how much is the quote ?

Repair

a couple of reasons, the main one is you mentioned 4K, not a good time to be forced into an upgrade

you could run the risk of buying a receiver today that may not be HDCP compliant in a years time.

when it does come time to upgrade, at least you will have a LX73 that you can sell to recoup your repair costs (unrepaired its just a worthless brick)

just my 2cents re investing to overcome loss

how much is the quote ?

Some sensible thoughts thanks mello

Unit is going in today to be looked at so no quote just yet.

If you can find a second hand, first gen, Emotiva Preamp, I'd but that then keep it as a backup when you finally upgrade. (Or any other suitable pre or receiver).

Second hand they are gong for around $250 which will very likely be less than a repair.

Will keep eye out for UMC-200 if repair quote is shocking.

Only have 2 channel power amp.

So could I use unrepaired Pio as amp for 3 or 5 more channels???

Thanks for the comments

Will keep eye out for UMC-200 if repair quote is shocking.

Only have 2 channel power amp.

So could I use unrepaired Pio as amp for 3 or 5 more channels???

Thanks for the comments

If the Pio has 5/7 pre-ins yes ... I don't have experience with it, but you can plug a pre into those ... Only thing I am not sure about is fixing the volume output on one or the other ... There may be a setting, like on oppos? Edited by Mr Robot

If the Pio has 5/7 pre-ins yes ... I don't have experience with it, but you can plug a pre into those ... Only thing I am not sure about is fixing the volume output on one or the other ... There may be a setting, like on oppo s?

Would only be for centre and rears so that may not be too hard.

My free quote Gumtree repairer wasn't at home when I called in there today :angry:

So none the wiser on repair cost

Cheap pre may be the go

If my bd player had component in I would even live with good old Dolby Digital till an upgrade

ols, if you can source the board on eBay, it wouldnt be too hard to replace yourself (you have to hit exactly the right one ...part number should be on the board itself)

there are YouTube how to's all over the place, just be careful with the capacitors, they hold a residual charge of many many volts

careful with the loose screws too, we have a couple around the place as it is LOL

Edited by mello yello

ols, if you can source the board on eBay, it wouldnt be too hard to replace yourself (you have to hit exactly the right one ...part number should be on the board itself)

Big IF I did find some rocking horse poo - that would seem to be easier :lol:

see what the quote comes in at, dont let him shaft you with "brand new board replacement" price either, this isnt an Alfa Romeo disc and rotors, its a discontinued amplifier, tell him to try and source an Ebay one if he does

do you want me to talk to him ?

better not, it might come back with a rattle LoL

Replace mate ... not worth sinking new money into old gear ... spend your time kicking tires and getting the price down on a replacement.

I'd also have a really good think about whether you actually need/want ATMOS, personally I only think it is worth the added investment.

Thanks Chopsus

Even before I receive this free quote I'm leaning that way unless pretty cheap to fix (doubtful)

A 2nd hand unit with True HD and DTSMA and preouts for the power amp

Worry about the "newer" formats when they become more established

Started trawling the ads for this sort of unit last night in anticipation of going that way.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/halls-head/radios-receivers/marantz-av-surround-receiver-sr6005/1104301766

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/midland/other-audio/denon-amplifier-avr-3808/1092089350

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/joondalup/radios-receivers/denon-hometheatre-receiver-avr-4310/1104388286