Logitech Harmony Smart Control Impressions/review

On 04/10/2016 at 5:08 PM, MrC said:

Can you please explain how you did those favourites for your Foxtel activity ... I would like to have some favourite Foxtel channels defined for my Harmony Elite.

www.iconharmony.com

You'll find all the icons you want there, save them  to your pc, then put em on your remote. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, pgdownload said:

Interesting. Most people I read (including myself) found it awkward to use the often used hard PLAY etc. buttons at the top of the One. In general I rarely use the touch screen - its just really handy for storing sequences and those occasional unusual buttons if required, so I don't mind going two handed (sorry) for that.

I did find it strange the Elite lacks backlit buttons and haptic (vibration) feedback that come standard with the One

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Yeah it seems I'm in the minority as I rarely use the hard PLAY, STOP, REW, FF buttons etc. I use the hard OK and arrow buttons and the touch screen a lot.

On 06/10/2016 at 10:08 AM, MrC said:

How did you import the edited images (via Paint.NET) into the Harmony App/hub ?

Oh you need to do this online, using the Harmony software. Then you sync each device & the logos should then appear.

------

& with regard to the remote button layout, the good thing about being able to use your mobile device as a remote, is you can move any button you want to wherever you want. & it's backlit of course. 

Honestly, this is the best thing I've purchased in a long time.

Edited by Ralfi

1 hour ago, BoogieWonderland said:

www.iconharmony.com

You'll find all the icons you want there, save them  to your pc, then put em on your remote. 

Some of the HD channels weren't on there last time I checked.

Hence why I suggested to just use Google for eg. "Nat Geo HD logo".

40 minutes ago, Ralfi said:

Yeah, no problem, just giving another option. 

5 minutes ago, pgdownload said:

I'd have thought so. Logitech's comparison website says otherwise.

Thanks

Peter Gillespie

No problems, I too picked one up 1/2 price on  sale, relegating the Ultimate to the cinema room.

They're very similar, but I do prefer the play, ff, rew etc buttons being positioned lower, so my little lady thumb can  reach them

On 06/10/2016 at 3:47 PM, Ralfi said:

I have obtained some FoxTel logos and have added them to my Harmony Account via my desktop PC.  The on-screen display of my PC says I have 16 favourites.  After syncing all devices (with the Hub, hand held remote and my iPad and Android phone, my iPad says I only have 12 favourites (the FoxTel favourites are not showing).

My iPad does not show the option to Reset Favourites either from the Menu .... looks like there is some software problem.

• Volunteer
1 hour ago, MrC said:

And another thing ... my Favourites at present are only available to my WatchFreeToAir on TV activity.  How do I make my Favourites accessible to other activities ?

The Favourites can only be assigned to one device, in my system that's the Beyonwiz T4 as i don't use the TV's own tuner.  So any activity that uses that device should have the favourites.

1 minute ago, Kazz said:

The Favourites can only be assigned to one device, in my system that's the Beyonwiz T4 as i don't use the TV's own tuner.  So any activity that uses that device should have the favourites.

Ahhh ... so I can't have favourites for a FoxTel device and favourites for my Topfield PVR ?

2 minutes ago, Kazz said:

How do I re-assign the favourites to my FoxTel device and not the Topfield PVR ?

• Volunteer
9 minutes ago, MrC said:

How do I re-assign the favourites to my FoxTel device and not the Topfield PVR ?

Go into the myharmony software, then favourites, then edit service provider, and then select the activity you want to use the favourites for.

Oh and I was wrong when I said the favourites belong to one device, they actually are assigned to an activity and can only be assigned to one activity, but in the end it's the same result and is a bit of a pain.

3 hours ago, MrC said:

I have obtained some FoxTel logos and have added them to my Harmony Account via my desktop PC.  The on-screen display of my PC says I have 16 favourites.  After syncing all devices (with the Hub, hand held remote and my iPad and Android phone, my iPad says I only have 12 favourites (the FoxTel favourites are not showing).

My iPad does not show the option to Reset Favourites either from the Menu .... looks like there is some software problem.

The reset option is at the bottom of the favourites screen. You may need to scroll down to find it.

So iirc, you may or may not need to sync, then go into favourites, scroll down & edit, then reset. Try that.

On 10/7/2016 at 11:49 PM, Chopsus said:

Perhaps if members reported his aggressive, demeaning and pointless posts more often the mods might take action?

I am at a loss to understand the intensity of disapproval expressed here. I find the member's posts for the most part light-hearted and with an apparent genuine intent to supply information or seek clarification. I suggest people turn down their intensity a notch, and be more accommodating.

On the question of using a separate dedicated remote to control a range of different devices in an elegant and efficient manner some people will strive for an ultimate solution. Others will be happy if most devices can be controlled easily with one remote. And others will simply use a separate remote for each device. I fall into the last camp. My leading signal source is my pc, which uses a wireless keyboard and mouse. Its output goes to an AVR (with its own remote) on to a TV (with its own remote). Occasionally I will use a Fetch box (with its own remote), or a Blu-ray player (with its own remote). My partner can cope with the switching involved. I must admit though that when family visit they find the set-up bewildering and need help!

17 hours ago, Ralfi said:

The reset option is at the bottom of the favourites screen. You may need to scroll down to find it.

So iirc, you may or may not need to sync, then go into favourites, scroll down & edit, then reset. Try that.

Thanks Ralfi for your help .... I now have the FoxTel channel icons installed and in use.  I must say that I am uplifted by the positive suggestions and help offered by many here on this forum.  Well done !!

1 hour ago, Malich said:

My current one handles the smart TV, smart Blu-ray, Foxtel, & streaming box setup here better than anything else, albeit after spending a ridiculous amount of time and effort beating it into submission & usefulness. At least it could be beaten...

That is partly behind my not even trying to use a universal remote control for my main AV setup, a fear that the time and effort that might be entailed to get everything to work, could outweigh the benefit. I personally don't find it too much of a chore to pick up a separate remote control, or to change the source selection on the AVR.

2 hours ago, MrC said:

Thanks Ralfi for your help .... I now have the FoxTel channel icons installed and in use.  I must say that I am uplifted by the positive suggestions and help offered by many here on this forum.  Well done !!

Phew! Glad that helped.....admittedly, the only flaw is the setup process, hence my vague recollections of how I went about it.

It's a complex device that rewards you with simple functionality once set up.