Sign in to follow this  
Danz91

Picked Up Nbn Newcastle In Sydney The Other Day?

When Nine HD launched, I retuned my TV just out of boredom to see if it picked up anything else (despite my TV having Channel 90 already).

To my surprise, it picked up NBN Newcastle (Channel 8) with a pretty good signal. It was watchable with a few glitchy patches on the image. However, it was shortlived and when I tried tuning back into it a few minutes later, everything was gone and it came up with a weak/no signal error message. It has been like this ever since.

I live in the Canterbury-Bankstown area and no expert on TV but I know it is an extremely unlikely spot to pick up TV signals from outside Sydney, given its pretty central location in the metro area.

Did this happen to anyone else? Very curious how it happened.

When Nine HD launched, I retuned my TV just out of boredom to see if it picked up anything else (despite my TV having Channel 90 already).

To my surprise, it picked up NBN Newcastle (Channel 8) with a pretty good signal. It was watchable with a few glitchy patches on the image. However, it was shortlived and when I tried tuning back into it a few minutes later, everything was gone and it came up with a weak/no signal error message. It has been like this ever since.

I live in the Canterbury-Bankstown area and no expert on TV but I know it is an extremely unlikely spot to pick up TV signals from outside Sydney, given its pretty central location in the metro area.

Did this happen to anyone else? Very curious how it happened.

The same happened to me with a poor Antenna.

I live slightly north of Brisbane and on the right night I picked up the Nambour Tower (Al lot further North than Brisbane) with a scan. Now since the house was new I threw the new budget Antenna away and purchased two new Matchmaster Antenna, one facing towards Brisbane and the other facing north. I also purchased a 8 way F connector splitter, a 100 M roll of RG6, a Matchmaster Power Amp,a 40MM x 4M pole (1.5M in the roof) and two days later a I had a perfect Antenna system with 8 points around the house. I re scanned all tv's and all tv's till today have everything in Brisbane and north.

I use to live at Punchbowl and I had a similar but less high tech antenna system that what I have now and I use to get Woolongong for all the Cricket that Channel 9 would cut out if the game was played in the Sydney Cricket ground. If you live in your own home or your parents place and If you have some spare cash spend a little and get a new Antenna system and you will have that channel and more once installed. As a matter of interest I was a Licenced Electrician those days now I'm retired and getting to old to Climb a ladder. I have a friend slightly off the Hawkesbury River and he gets Woolongong and Newcastle with a good tall antenna system on a 4 M pole above his roof

Edited by Blackman

t his happen to anyone else? Very curious how it happened.

Ages ago 40+ foot vhf antennas were very popular in Newcastle to pick up ch 9 sydney etc ; then uhf came in and amalgamation so they dissoed :logik:

Should warn you if upgrading the antenna NBN dont have the mpeg4 ch9 hd service as yet ; still sd ....

Hi guys,

It is possible to receive tv and other radio signals particulaly in the summer time up and down the coast if you are in the right spot at the right time, sometimes it lasts for quite a while other times only a short time and the signal strength can be very strong.In the analogue days two pictures could be seen at the same time from two different stations when they were using the same rf channel and also created a lot of grief sometimes if the signals cancelled each other out.The signals are ducted about by differences in air temperature and the terrain etcand the frequencies involved.People in Melbourne can sometimes watch Northern Tasmanian tv and vice versa.channel 0 vhf tv from Darling Downs Qld was common in Hobart in the summer and when I lived in Sydney years ago you could watch NZ tv ch 0 on our ch 1

Not many tv channels were in use in those days.

cheere and happy new year.

Tazzy

Hi Tazzy,

I think it was the other way around, as NZ's channel 1 corresponds to our channel 0, except offset by 1 MHz, although to be fair, NZ's ch. 2 & 3 are offset from Australia's ch 1 & 2 by 2 MHz.

TVNZ also could be received here in Melbourne too sometimes. At other times it was TVQ 0 Brisbane (until they moved to channel 10) and later DDQ 0 (later to become WIN TV). Sometimes it was both and usually it was none.

With TV no longer on those frequencies are those days over?

Hi Ron12

Yes you are correct I had them around the wrong way, I was just a kid at the time,drove my parents nuts turning the tv antenna looking for the DX stations, eventually saved enough for a tv antenna rotator from Dick Smith which kept the peace for a while until I discovered shortwave radio, cb radio and amateur radio and wanted to put up wires every where.The old geeza across the road thought we were all spyes. Now I'M the old geeza across the road with wires every where Ha!!

Tv going from those frequencies hasn't stopped the DX ducting only the message on the RF has changed with technology and the user allocations.Amateur Radio Operators are using VHF every day to communicate around the country and overseas particularly in summertime when the Tropospheric Ducting is good.

Cheers Tazzy.

Funnliy enough Here in Melbourne I had a customer today who was having problems and she said she'd retuned her tv to try to solve it and got both Gippsland and Launceston channels , she said the other night Launceston was not breaking up at all though today was down under the noise floor and no signal on the TV...