Jvc Hd750 - Repair Or Not?

I have two JVC HD750s, one in a dedicated theater and one in a family room.

One of them went on the fritz a week or so ago so I sent it into the service chaps. Turns out it is the ballast board and a repair will be $700.

To be honest, I was expecting something much more terminal and expensive and I was just going to auction it off on eBay for parts or whatever.

Now I'm wondering if it is worth getting the repair done.

It's for the family room where quality matters less so I could get another used PJ for similar money.

Any thoughts?

How much is a used HD750 worth these days?

I guess I should have been a little more precise, even though on reflection my question probably answers itself.

I'm not really expecting to find anything with a better image.

Like many I went through many projectors in the bad old days when we transitioned from CRT to digital. Then I was amazed by the JVC HD1 and loyally upgraded to each new model until I hit the HD750.

Whereupon I stopped.

I checked out each new release up until a couple of years ago, but none actually seemed to improve on the HD750 (I don't care about 3D or 4K). It's black levels are good enough that my dark mancave is the limiting factor, it's almost bright enough for a 150" screen, THX mode is close enough to ideal out of the box (although I tried various tweaks) and I love the auto everything.

When searching for a projector a while back for my white-walled ambient light-ridden family room I tried some of the projectors that sell new for what one pays for a used JVC (Benq 1070 etc) and it really wasn't close.. So I bought another HD750.

And because I was convinced the HD750 wouldn't be worth repairing, I bought a used Epson TW5500 from eBay for the family room since my son was having Star Wars withdrawals.

Good projector. Not as good as an HD750.

I guess the big question is whether the ballast issue is a harbinger of problems to come.

HD750s can have problems with panel deterioration, mine did and I ended up selling it for next to nothing. Since my HD750 I had the X75 and now the X7000 and between the HD750 and X7000 there is a reasonable enough improvement in image quality (sharpness, brightness, contrast, colour stability, longer lasting lamps) to justify. Personally I'd put the $700 towards a new X5000 if you want something cheaper and not chasing the ultimate picture quality.

yes hd750 and anything prior to XX5 series I think were prone to something or the other. but look with anything way I see it if you sell as broke it tends to put most people off...just as its putting you off...who wants to buy something broken ? if they do they will pay absolute bottom of the barrel...you might only see $100s of dollars on eBay for instance. people want to buy and have something to enjoy from get go.

one good thing though...is you have a quote to get it repaired...its been diagnosed and people upfront will know what it will cost to get back to good working order....so here is one other option and have used it...where you do feel want to move on in anycase...find out via eBay and like what this has sold for prior in good working order...subtract the cost of repair...add a little sweetner and there you have the price it should sell for...

hopefully it sells and can move on...

now if it doesnt sell...just get it fixed and enjoy...can still try sell but attest have something to enjoy at the same time.

am a prior epson 5500 owner...and while its a perfectly acceptable projector...no its not in the league of a hd750. and as far a white walled lounge rooms go, I've seen the gains of going from epson 5500 to 9000 to x35 and now to the x7000, and as you saw the step back from going from the jvc hd750 to the epson 5500 in the same room have no doubt as dean has suggested you will enjoy the benefit the upgrade brings to a new x5000 if budget allows.