Star Wars Episode V I I I

Guest Hensa

It's all personal preferences. No different to the music that some like and others hate. Some go to movies just for the escape and for light entertainment, others go to be gripped by an intense story or to be emotionally stimulated.

I really enjoyed the latest Star wars movie. I took my 10 year-old son and maybe the fact that that I could see him enjoying it so much coloured my judgement but regardless, I came out of the cinema having felt I'd been well entertained. Perhaps my expectations bar is set lower but no harm in that just as there's no harm in others setting the bar higher in terms of what they want or expect out of a movie.

Picked up The Last Jedi Monday as JB already had it on the shelves on the 26th..

Put on the 4K version and watched it through this evening. 

Interested to hear other's thoughts... 

Some scenes are great, amazing detail, superb but not gimmicky colour, however you can tell it's shot on various digital cameras with some slight detail variances but also overall it's not very black compared to many movies captured on film. However it does still look great. 

One negative side, in my point of view, with all these layers and all the gigabytes of space on a UHD disc, there is no DTS HD MA audio offering on the 4K that the blu ray offers. The 4K has Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. And that's a great pairing - however I still run a traditional, for a better word, 5.1 channel setup and the track therefore dials down to Dolby True HD.... 

Now for the audio fans Dolby typically utilises a much lower bit rate than DTS... In addition, the compression is different and at a different rate - Dolby @ 7:1 compression versus DTS at just 4:1

This is typically easily noticed when utilising a system with notable output capability and dynamic range. 

The dynamic compared to cinema and DTS is notable. You'll also likely find the DTS version has a more 'solid' sounding LFE track which is a typical DTS characteristic compared to the same movie in a Dolby audio format. 

So perhaps for a nicer sound I'll throw in the blu ray version where I can have my DTS HD MA and compromise with my Oppo Udp-205 up scaling 4K to my JVC X500 as opposed to the real deal 

The movie was still great to watch and the Dolby Audio mix does have superb dialogue with body, throat and not excessive on the tops. Sound effects like Ben's red saber are prickly and perfect. The light sabers are well rounded without too much bass and yet a demand on your speakers for clean mids - making it sound a little like the original trilogy to a degree. 

Happy viewing! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Neilsy said:

Some scenes are great, amazing detail, superb but not gimmicky colour, however you can tell it's shot on various digital cameras with some slight detail variances but also overall it's not very black compared to many movies captured on film. However it does still look great. 

Have a watch of some of the very extensive material on the bonus disc, there are an awful lot of film reels being passed around during production...... :winky:

9 hours ago, Neilsy said:

Picked up The Last Jedi Monday as JB already had it on the shelves on the 26th..

Put on the 4K version and watched it through this evening. 

Interested to hear other's thoughts... 

One negative side, in my point of view, with all these layers and all the gigabytes of space on a UHD disc, there is no DTS HD MA audio offering on the 4K that the blu ray offers. The 4K has Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. And that's a great pairing - however I still run a traditional, for a better word, 5.1 channel setup and the track therefore dials down to Dolby True HD.... 

Now for the audio fans Dolby typically utilises a much lower bit rate than DTS... In addition, the compression is different and at a different rate - Dolby @ 7:1 compression versus DTS at just 4:1

This is typically easily noticed when utilising a system with notable output capability and dynamic range. 

The dynamic compared to cinema and DTS is notable. You'll also likely find the DTS version has a more 'solid' sounding LFE track which is a typical DTS characteristic compared to the same movie in a Dolby audio format. 

So perhaps for a nicer sound I'll throw in the blu ray version where I can have my DTS HD MA and compromise with my Oppo Udp-205 up scaling 4K to my JVC X500 as opposed to the real deal 

The movie was still great to watch and the Dolby Audio mix does have superb dialogue with body, throat and not excessive on the tops. Sound effects like Ben's red saber are prickly and perfect. The light sabers are well rounded without too much bass and yet a demand on your speakers for clean mids - making it sound a little like the original trilogy to a degree. 

Happy viewing! 

To the best of my knowledge (happy to be corrected though ) there should be no audible difference between a Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA track (using the same master) as they are both lossless formats.I'm not saying that there is NO difference - but I would imagine its very small. The difference between the lossy DTS core and AC3 tracks would be audible due to the difference in bitrate  (1509 Kps vs 640 Kps)

The Lossless Dolby TrueHD is more like  2:1 compression - with 7:1 compression are you referring to the old 448Kps Dolby DVD standard?

Edited by jamiebosco
spelling
  • Like 1

okay, so the UHD version.... I don't have 4k yet, but will somewhere down the track. Does that BD have a standard HD version on it, that I can play in my old existing BD player?

If I can watch it through my older HD gear, I think I'd be better to buy that one for the future for when I eventually upgrade to 4k.

Want to nick up to JB tomorrow and grab a copy to watch. :)

12 hours ago, coolrunnings said:

I still LOVE the scene....................

You may want to use the spoiler tags for the rest of that quote for people who haven't seen it yet

Spoiler

with Rey and Kylo against Stoke's guards. Easily the best lightsaber scene in any SW movie

Edited by jamiebosco

I was waiting for the disc release and watched the Last Jedi for the first time last night.

Although not overly Bad as such, it certainly wasn't a Good addition to the Star Wars franchise.

I'm one of those horrible people that keep a mental note of continuity errors during a movie, and this one had droves, it seemed to me as if they were still writing the movie while it was in production [ Pirates of the Caribbean mode of movie making] , or there were a hell of a lot of re writes, or sadly, was made within a time limit cutoff, which is the worst sort of self imposed movie editing that can befall a movie.

Some of the SFX were woeful [last part of the movie], if only because of a total mismatch of scale of foreground and background.

Besides that, the color in the movie seemed overly saturated [I calibrate my screen, so it was obvious compared to The Force Awakens ]

As I never saw this movie at the theater, I can't say if this color saturation is how it is supposed to look, or some variance from what it should look like due to video mastering, it didn't do the movie any favors that's for sure.......I sort of suspect it might have been mastered to Dolby Vision / HDR-10+ specs, but as that tech isn't readily available, we are not viewing the gamma changes for each scene you would get with either of those formats, hence the over saturated color when played back with bog standard HD hardware. [I hope this isn't going to be happening with all new releases]

Edited by Tweaky

I agree @Tweaky in regards to the picture, my tv is calibrated and running a 205 and this disc was far from great imo. 

Bladerunner 2049 should be a reference for picture quality. 

On 3/29/2018 at 8:43 AM, jamiebosco said:

To the best of my knowledge (happy to be corrected though ) there should be no audible difference between a Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA track (using the same master) as they are both lossless formats.I'm not saying that there is NO difference - but I would imagine its very small. The difference between the lossy DTS core and AC3 tracks would be audible due to the difference in bitrate  (1509 Kps vs 640 Kps)

The Lossless Dolby TrueHD is more like  2:1 compression - with 7:1 compression are you referring to the old 448Kps Dolby DVD standard?

Hi Jamie, 

You may be right - I'd be keen to know actually what all the bitrates are between the various HD because 2:1 sounds very low for Dolby. 
For comparison to my point, I watched BladeRunner 2049 again the other night which reverts back to Dobly TrueHD on my set-up and it was absolutely chalk and cheese between dynamics, throat and firm lower mids compared to SW TLJ. It wasn't squashed - it was insane at reference level - like what I usually find with DTS HD /MA. I just wonder for TLJ what happened between the mix they passed cinema, which was epic, bodied and dynamic, to the mix my 4K disk has on it. 

Just saying compared to others, it's a real disappointment at home compared to other movies I have.

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree with Sime. Which make it impossible to compare a TrueHD track from one movie to a DTSHD-MA track from another.

SW:TLJ's overall mix is good IMHO. The overall level is quite low so the volume may need to be a few dB louder and it has less ULF than SW:TFA

SWTLJ.thumb.png.7ae74b9d34477b5b2b4eabbb71397095.png

SWTFA.thumb.png.fd1c8fbb11a6dd10bc35c195105bf61f.png

Yes the Blade Runner 2049 track is fantastic!

5ac1822b5e86e_Bladerunner2049.png.17e84df20d74b217f2cd2e959c843a2e.png

• Like 1

watched last night. the picture just looked film like. so if wanting something else i guess will be disappointed ? the sound track is a bit quieter so do need to crank. i normally watch with kids in bed at -24 so just upped that to -21 which typically live will watch at otherwise. it didnt have a lot going for it for an atmos track. 

enjoyed the movie overall, I liked it. but i have also liked the previous. this is a bit like startrek new generations now. have to get used to the old actors dropping away and the new ones finding their place.

look forward to the next :D 

• Like 4

On 30.3.2018 at 2:12 AM, jamiebosco said:

You may want to use the spoiler tags for the rest of that quote for people who haven't seen it yet

Reveal hidden contents

with Rey and Kylo against Stoke's guards. Easily the best lightsaber scene in any SW movie

Fair shout

Was really surprised at how it was reviewed though. So polarizing.