Sign in to follow this  
trevorlong

9Hd Pvr Ad-Skipping Issues? Mpeg-4 Related?

Curious if anyone knows/has this experience.

Two callers today on my radio show noted issues with fast forwarding on recordings on their PVR on the new 9HD Mpeg-4 channel.

Curious if anyone knows if this is DRM related, is fast forwarding something that MPEG-4 broadcasting can prevent?

Or is this more likely a case of PVRs getting confused by the recorded content and failing to FF when requested?

I have NFI! :)

TL

Most TVS, PVRS and STBs sold in the past 5ish years have had MPEG4 capability built in. The idea presumably being that the next digital upgrade (which is starting to happen now) will be fairly painless as most households will already have MPEG4 capability.

The MPEG4 chip ensures it can recieve and decode and display the MPEG4 channels. But PVRs are a little more complex and jumping about the broadcast stream requires some extra smarts. Its very likely that some existing PVRs won't handle the new channels without a firmware upgrade.

In a nut shell, there are no DRM restrictions enforced on broadcast TV. The industry has launched its own Freeview brand (which has a nice EPG but also requires Freeview PVRs to not be able to ad skip and also places limitations on transfering files off the PVR). But that's only Freeview certified PVRs. As you can imagine they're not very popular.

Regards

Peter Gillespie

Hi.

I'm not one of those who phoned your radio station but I only just noticed the same thing last night.

During playback I cannot pause, FF or REW.

The only other HD channel that I seem to have is SBS HD and there are no issues with it. Though I don't know if SBS HD broadcasts as MPEG4, they say 1080i but I have no idea what that is.

I have the Topfield brand of PVR which to the best of my understanding is not Freeview .

To follow up my own post the issue is also discussed on the Topfield Forum.

I have also contacted Topfield Australia since and found out that they only recently became aware of the issue and are looking at it with no guarantee of a fix because it will depend on PVR's ability to handle MPEG4 (apparently something that cannot be corrected via firmware).

Interestingly enough the booklet that came with my PVR (TRF7160-id33021) makes no mention of which formats are supported.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dasher
      Item: 2 Beyonwiz HD PVR's (DP-H1 & DP-Lite)
      Price: Free to good home - donation to SNA, I will leave it to your conscience
      Item Condition: OK
      Reason for selling: NLR
      Payment Method: Pickup only
      Extra Info: I have had these for a while with them sitting in sotrage for the last few years. I have no use for them so thought they might be of use to somoene else.

Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.

• By wombat_58
      Guys,

I have the above for sale in good condition, some light marks on the case. The unit has seen little use while the remote and wifi adapter are unused as I used a Harmony remote and wired LAN.

Included:

Magic MTV3700TD PVR running non Freeview firmware (great for AFL as it has 30 second skips enabled)
      Power supply and cable
      Wireless dongle
      Remote control
      Original Box

This has been a great PVR for the time we have had it, twin tuner, 1TB hard drive and fantastic picture quality. It is now surplus to our needs. You can flash the PVR with Freeview firmware if you prefer that.

Great thread on the PVR here:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/t...arrived-today/

Pick up from 3163 (Carnegie) is preferred but can post at your expense.

Looking for around $200, but feel free to make an offer.

Thank you
    • By nightbreed
      Hi All,
      I'm selling my personal Humax 4Tune PVR. It's in perfect condition and only 6 weeks old. Have box, manuals etc...
      Reason for selling: Building a new PC Media centre. RRP is $699. Selling for $390 firm. Melbourne pickup preferred.
      http://www.humaxdigital.com/au/products/product.php?gid=494
    • By logicaldisconnect
      Hi everyone
      Selling my Topfield TF7100HDPVRt 320 GB Twin Tuner PVR. Excellent quality, no issues in use at all. Retailed for $899. Unit is in good condition, with some superficial wear on the buttons and minor scratching but otherwise completely functional. Very responsive compared with many current PVRs I've tried, good signal quality, good upscaling and also the option to pass through the native signal which few current PVRs have.
      Will also throw in a 10m antenna cable. Looking for $150 ono. Features include: - Composite, component and HDMI output including upscaling to 1080i - SPDIF coaxial and optical and stereo audio output - Ethernet connection for FTP server - RS-232 serial port - USB port - MP3 playback For more details, see the manual here: www.topfield.co.kr/data/download/TF7100HDPVRt-Aus-8215e.pdf See reviews here: http://www.cnet.com/au/products/topfield-tf7100hdpvrt/, http://www.avhub.com.au/index.php/Product-Reviews/Sound+Image/topfield-tf7100hdpvrt-personal-video-recorder.html Pickup from Highgate Hill, 4101 or Mansfield, 4122. Happy to ship at the buyer's cost but pickup preferred. Have the original box, remote etc but no receipt. Let me know if you have any questions!
    • By Slattery
      Well the summer of cricket started today on Ch9 HD and it began with a pretty good bitrate of around 5 mbps mpeg4 on the HD channel in melbourne.
      By the end of the day they had wound it back to around 4.2mbps mpeg4 which was quite visibly blocky by the last session of the day.