Sign in to follow this  

Seven To Simulcast In Hd In 2016

ABC radio was still banging on this morning about the HD thing on New Years Eve.  Optimistically could this mean full transition to HD with a reasonable amount of native HD content (news bulletins excepted) after then?..................one lives in hope!

Guest Malich
49 minutes ago, alanh said:

You cannot use a longer time frame, because of the length of time MPEG-4 was used must match after MPEG-2 started. Later times have more variables.

What a complete display of utter ignorance of basic statistical - or even comparative - analysis.

When did you last learn anything about statistics, Alan - the 1700's? Because humanity has been able to compare samples of differing sizes since at least then...

53 minutes ago, alanh said:

Look yourself!

If you were prepared to enlighten us as to what figures you used for your mystical divination of The Truth, we would.

As it is, I (& I assume MLXXX) have had to look ourselves using the publicly available figures from OzTAM. Which clearly prove you wrong on this one...

49 minutes ago, pc9 said:

ABC radio was still banging on this morning about the HD thing on New Years Eve.  Optimistically could this mean full transition to HD with a reasonable amount of native HD content (news bulletins excepted) after then?..................one lives in hope!

Oops sorry incorrect posting...........should have gone into the ABC HD discussions

On 19/12/2016 at 0:03 PM, alanh said:

MLXXX,I did go and examine the ratings for the months either side. They were identical figures in a different order, except for the higher one on the week of the change when there was much more promotion.

That wasn't the case for the time slot I looked at. There was a sustained increase after the change to MPEG-2. From memory that time slot was the evening, which included the peak viewing period. I gave details when I first queried you in the thread where you first made the claim. (You on the other hand have not specified which part of the table of ratings you used for your comparisons.)

Edit: here ia a link to the relevant thread:

On 10/09/2016 at 0:46 PM, MLXXX said:

Reviewing recent figures I find that the increase (of around 50%) has been maintained in the all important evening time slot. I know Oztam don't tolerate reproduction of their data so I cannot provide a comprehensive listing of all of the figures, here. Suffice it to say that the latest week available (week 35) shows 1.8% and the previous week (week 34) shows 1.7%. (These figures are for the evening for 7flix, consolidated across 5 capital cities. They contrast with figures of around 1.1% for weeks 10 to 23.) 

Edited by MLXXX

Only a few days from the Australian Open starting and still no Prime HD in Regional Vic.  The only HD we may get of the tennis is on 7Mate between 6 - 7pm...

You would hope they get their act together before the AFL season starts.

Soap,

Whilst Prime is now using MediaHub to distribute programs to you and they are HD capable. Maybe its a price issue with the 7 network.

7 is constantly HD  and as a result 7Mate is SD in Melbourne and Adelaide only

7 is HD for the tennis (but inlcuding all other programs in the same weeks) in Perth, Brisbane and Sydney. It will probably revert HD back to 7Mate until the AFL starts. Then 7Mate will be in HD and 7 will go back to SD.

It is really nice to have the news in HD!

Alanh

7 hours ago, Soap said:

Only a few days from the Australian Open starting and still no Prime HD in Regional Vic.  The only HD we may get of the tennis is on 7Mate between 6 - 7pm...

You would hope they get their act together before the AFL season starts.

You can watch all the Tennis in full HD online for free. No need to waste your time with Prime if they refuse to get their act together.

davmel,

You are making a huge assumption on his internet speed. Try watching at 2 Mbit/s which is what I get!

Alanh

On 11/01/2017 at 4:24 PM, alanh said:

7 is HD for the tennis (but inlcuding all other programs in the same weeks) in Perth, Brisbane and Sydney. It will probably revert HD back to 7Mate until the AFL starts. Then 7Mate will be in HD and 7 will go back to SD.

Shifting the HD service between 7 and 7Mate based on program? Interesting insight.

James

10 minutes ago, James T Kirk said:

Shifting the HD service between 7 and 7Mate based on program? Interesting insight.

James

It is, & if he knew why 7 was in HD in Melbourne & Adelaide, but not the other state capitals, then by that theory 7 could be in HD in all state capitals 95+% of the time.

Looks like the brain dead twits at Seven are moving to reintroduce 7 Bogan HD once again from next Monday.

It is showing concurrent programming with the main channel, however it is listed as 7BoganHD,no doubt the programming will change to appease the toothless VB viewers.

http://www.freeview.com.au/tv-guide/

5 hours ago, robertr said:

Looks like the brain dead twits at Seven are moving to reintroduce 7 Bogan HD once again from next Monday.

It is showing concurrent programming with the main channel, however it is listed as 7BoganHD,no doubt the programming will change to appease the toothless VB viewers.

http://www.freeview.com.au/tv-guide/

It appears Freeview yes Freeview (the so called accurate guide) is showing Seven Mate HD as currently showing concurrent programming with Seven (primary channel) this caused me to launch the above tirade as I thought the guide for next Monday was an accurate reflection, it appears that Freeview has  errors as Seven Mate HD is currently not broadcasting in Sydney.

Apologies for my post, however no doubt the HD changeover to 7 Bogan will happen.

February 1st still the primary channel for Seven is HD in Sydney have they forgotten to flick the switch back to SD?

cheers laurie

Laurie,

It is great to have the Perth News in HD which has a new news studio in the same building as the only newspaper in WA.

I notice that Brisbane is still simulcasting 7 in HD as well.

We will have to wait and see what happens, particularly when the AFL season starts.

Alanh

22 hours ago, alanh said:

It is great to have the Perth News in HD which has a new news studio in the same building as the only newspaper in WA.

I notice that Brisbane is still simulcasting 7 in HD as well.

Despite the nightly seven news this evening in Brisbane being simulcast on an HD service, the picture for that news presentation on "7HD" had, sad to say, the appearance of upscaled SD.

Edited by MLXXX

On 2/1/2017 at 8:48 AM, alanh said:

Laurie,

Alanh

Would be nice if ch13 Perth did their news in HD from the new studio instead of the upscaled crap

Edited by wheelz

Wheelz,

It has been a very long time since broadcasters could buy broadcasting equipment which is SD only. So the issue must be the cost of the backhaul of the signal back over East for intergration into their Perth program feed. These days none of the networks feed the local inserts which is usually only the news these days directly to the local transmitter. It now all goes via a playout centre which feeds the whole network's transmitters .

One of the disadvantages of HD is much higher data rates prior to compression in the playout centre ready for transmission. So TEN must be saving money by using SD.

I remember when digital first started, TEN stopped reading the news in Perth. They did not want to pay for a studio upgrade. Greg Pearce and a female news reader had to go on a rotating roster to Sydney to read the news. That news reader committed suicide and a little while later news reading was recommenced in Perth as a remote input to the playout centre.

Good luck for an upgrade. The only possible way it could happen if all networks put their HD signals on channels 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 instead of 20, 30, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 13. Then the SD quality will be easily seen by most viewers particularly advertisers.

Alanh

The Yahoo7 website has been programming less for days. It is back again it has no symbols for 7HD just the text. No logical channel numbers.

When selecting Perth there is no program details for any HD channel except TEN and SBS. SD ABC, 7 and 9 are also missing. Perhaps it is trying to catch up.

The Freeview TV guide is ok except it uses 7mateHD icon for 7HD.

As far as 7 HD goes, the acid test is when the footie season starts for real. The contract with the AFL requires HD transmission, and many games in Perth are on during the news which rates much higher. Currently the 7news is in HD and looks great.

Alanh