Seven To Simulcast In Hd In 2016

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Co-Creator of DeciderTV, Steve Molk has been a fan of TV since he was plonked in front of Play School as a kid in the 70's.Now with 20 free to air channels, Pay-TV and SVOD in the mix there's even more reason to trust his critical judgement - to help you make your TV viewing decisions easy - See more at: http://decidertv.com/page/2015/11/19/exclusive-seven-to-simulcast-in-hd-in-2016-channel7#sthash.SCp4PFtx.dpuf

​Somethings critical laurie :pinch: they seemed so certain too..

They dont seem to gather that there are other means to get certain programs in hd and with dd5.1 and that this trend will only get stronger with time :thumbsup:

Strange Decidertv predicted the opposite I would not trust what this site ever says again and made a big deal out of it like a "Breaking News "

cheers laurie

Hmmm, looks like another year where I won't bother watching the footy on TV. I'm a keen Cats supporter but have had enough of the contempt that the AFL and Se7en have for Vic viewers. The picture quality is rubbish, the commentary is cringeworthy, and I've had a gutful...

When turnbull relaxed the rules a few months ago did he keep the requirement that the AFL must be on the primary channel? If not, maybe they could just put it on 7mate HD in Melb/Adel???

They must of relaxed the rules where it's shown in a Rugby League state due to low ratings that's why its on 7Mate?

cheers laurie

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with jsmith. So much of ONE HD was in HD and now with Ten it is just a few sports and a bit of graphics on the news, and one of the camera angles in The Project.

Your profile says you're in Sydney, so just get a UHF antenna and point it towards Wollongong, as One is broadcast in 1080i from there.

Your profile says you're in Sydney, so just get a UHF antenna and point it towards Wollongong, as One is broadcast in 1080i from there.

Is it still sourced in HD? I was thinking it was like NBN/WIN when GEM went down to SD, that they simply took the SD and upscaled it without rearranging their multiplex configuration.

CK.

• 3 weeks later...

What is wrong with 7?they show the friday pre game waffle in HD then switch to Sd for our most watched game.

Don't they know or care how they are percieved?fark they **** me!!I'm surprised that the TV reporters don't point this out.I have rung 3AW a few times and got on air about this but .....Why doesn't Gillon McLachlan make them show it HD????????????

Slattery,

The website of the company who has purchased the OB vans from the UK with an Australian fit out says that they are using them at Edihad stadium. Remember also that the AFL is broadcast in HD in non AFL states and overseas.

If you spend millions on OB vans you are not going to invest that money on obsolete standards. Use of UHD now means that there will be archived games for when we start transmission if ever the Department of Communications/ACMA and broadcasters can get their act together. They can transmit UHD if they adopt DVB-T2 transmission technology along with HEVC compression for all programs being transmitted. These transmissions are not backward compatible and there is only one transmission channel available in each viewing area. So this upgrade will be like the conversion from analog to digital which was also not backward compatible.

It is good that they are using a UHD OB van so that they can get practice with such sharp images. It will mean that the camera operators will have to be even more precise with focus. It also gives a selling point to the politicians and broadcasters about the quality of UHD and why there should be an upgrade.

Even if you think they are going to transmit the games in UHD on the internet, the receiver must have a HEVC decompressor in it and you also need at least a stable 25 Mbit/s internet speed. Unless you have NBN using glass fibre, you cannot get these speeds, particularly if your neighbour is also watching in UHD as well. The joys of FTTN technology.

The USA has developed ASTC3.0 standard which includes UHD and it is about to goto their Federal Communications Commission for approval. They will need ASTC 3.0 because the broadcasters are about to loose a lot of channels to telcos in a reverse auction. It would appear that some broadcasters would like to share a transmitter rather than go off air.

Alanh

Edited by alanh

Guest Malich

The website of the company who has purchased the OB vans from the UK with an Australian fit out says that they are using them at Edihad stadium.

Hi Alan,

Do you have a link to that on "the website of the company who has purchased the OB vans"? I can't find anything there...

The only mention of them being used at Etihad I can find is a press release repeated on other trade & media websites & mailouts. And, as we all know, a "press release does not cut it"...

Hi Alan,

Do you have a link to that on "the website of the company who has purchased the OB vans"? I can't find anything there...

The only mention of them being used at Etihad I can find is a press release repeated on other trade & media websites & mailouts. And, as we all know, a "press release does not cut it"...

Hi Malich

i googled alanh's text "UHD OB van at Melbourne’s Etihad Stadium"

returned this result

http://www.content-technology.com/asiapacificnews/?p=10764

in turn googling that articles header returned this result

http://www.sportsvideo.org/2016/03/30/nep-australias-second-4k-truck-fired-up-for-afl/

i then googled NEP Australia as they appear to be the owners of the trucks and it returned this result

http://www.nepinc.com/solutions/services/remote_production/4k_capable_production_trucks

Google is my friend, as i hope you are

:)

Guest Malich

Yeah I read all the press release guff about a month ago, and again earlier today. But as I said, I was after a link to where "The website of the company who has purchased the OB vans from the UK with an Australian fit out says that they are using them at Edihad stadium", since Alan says it's there.

The NEP site just lists trucks without any mention of where they will/are/have been used - and doesn't even mention the most recent one.

And, no. Just no.

Yeah I read all the press release guff about a month ago, and again earlier today. But as I said, I was after a link to where "The website of the company who has purchased the OB vans from the UK with an Australian fit out says that they are using them at Edihad stadium", since Alan says it's there.

The NEP site just lists trucks without any mention of where they will/are/have been used - and doesn't even mention the most recent one.

And, no. Just no.

oh? ok, thats easy

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=%22The+website+of+the+company+who+has+purchased+the+OB+vans+from+the+UK+with+an+Australian+fit+out+says+that+they+are+using+them+at+Edihad+stadium%22,&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=hGsbV7bQEuShmQXmnbMo

takes you back to the NEP website

http://www.nepinc.com/welcome/nep_australia

and from there you can navigate to this article

http://www.nepinc.com/about/news_and_press/nep_launches_australias_first_purpose-built_4k_super_truck

where it says

Background on HD11

• Designed and developed by NEP Australia’s engineering team.

• Constructed at A Smith Great Bentley (ASGB), the UK’s leading coachbuilder.

• Arrived in Australia in 2015 for technical fit-out, commissioning and testing.

Sister truck HD12 will join HD11 in early 2016, ready for the NRL and AFL seasons.

one can safely assume a sister truck would come from the same UK stable

youre welcome

:)

I think some more pertinent info may be that NEP bought out/took over Global Television here in Australia who were one of the two major players in the OB market here, so that is where their hardware has come from in the first instance. The other player is Gearhouse.

The two of them have pretty much got the big OB events tied up.

Edited by hrh

Guest Malich

oh? ok, thats easy

<snip a lot of stuff I've already said I'm aware of - twice ...>

One last time, just to be both clear & charitable: Where does "The website of the company" say "they are using them at Etihad stadium"?

But thank you for demonstrating & reiterating the reasons behind my earlier "no"...