Sign in to follow this  
mello yello

The Official 4K Ultra H D - Blu Ray Thread

As for ripping

... its off topic to this thread

pls refrain, there was a thread created for the ripping of legal material but it has been locked for what wasnt being discussed in it

this thread is clearly labelled

The Official 4K Ultra H D - Blu Ray Thread

:)

I mentioned it because you asked in a previous post "Complete or compressed?"

You asked such a basic question it seemed you needed a basic response.

No worries. :)

3.6TB for 60 mins of 4K isn't really feasible or needed for the consumer market.

JSmith :ninja:

Edited by jsmith

Just put "Sicario" and " The Martian" 4k UHD Blu Rays into my Amazon US cart as they've dropped to $US29.99.

Unfortunately, I didn't hit "BUY" because that still worked out as $A102 landed.

Without a player being currently available in Oz, I refuse to step back to the early days of BluRay/HDDVD and pay >$40 per disc.

C'mon Oz distributors,please step up to the plate, or this format will die before it even gets off the ground in this country.

Two tier pricing Dave ; maybe raid the back catalogue titles and wait for the good ones :whistle: Early adopter prices = par for the course - the disc replication factories unfortunately have only been at it since 2015 :pirate:

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/413621,uhd-blu-ray-discs-wont-be-cheap.aspx

Just put "Sicario" and " The Martian" 4k UHD Blu Rays into my Amazon US cart as they've dropped to $US29.99.

Unfortunately, I didn't hit "BUY" because that still worked out as $A102 landed.

Without a player being currently available in Oz, I refuse to step back to the early days of BluRay/HDDVD and pay >$40 per disc.

C'mon Oz distributors,please step up to the plate, or this format will die before it even gets off the ground in this country.

Rather disappointing that even some USA releases do not include the lastest codecs - ATMOS and DTS-X

From hidefdigest.com

"Of course not all of these UHD Blu-rays are going to be a home run, and having held 'The Martian' and 'The Kingsman' UHD BD packages in hand, I can confirm not all of these new titles are getting Dolby Atmos and DTS:X upgrades versus their Blu-ray counterpart (a damned shame, in my opinion). And there's still some questions about resolution (some films were supposedly shot and/or mastered in 2K for their theatrical runs)."

Edited by Jutta

FIRST IMPRESSION - highdefdigest.com

Caveat one. I've now spent more time WRITING about the K8500 than TESTING it; most of this is due to the fact that 1) we don't have any UHD Discs just yet, and 2) I'm hoping to score a different, flagship display for review purposes. Either way, we're going to be ready to review this player along with these discs the moment the studios send them our way (or at least as soon as they hit stores).

Caveat two. I did get to see fifteen or so minutes of 'The Martian' UHD Blu-ray in a store last Friday, and the results were impressive to need-more-research. In comparing the UHD Blu-ray to the standard Blu-ray (on difference tiered displays, sadly) UHD Blu-ray offered a noticeable uptick in visible on-screen detail, even at ten feet away from the 65" displays, and the Blu-ray seemed much more grainy and dark. I mention this to say I'm excited about the format; I believe there will be obvious improvements over Blu-ray. However, I can't be more specific because the calibration on this in-store display was wonky -- over-saturated colors (a suspicion that was confirmed last night when I saw 'The Martian' in Dolby Vision, so I have a benchmark) and an image made waxy by unnecessary motion processing.

Image quality aside (more testing on the way, for both streaming and all sorts of physical media), I'm already pretty impressed with this player. Startup time is less than 10 seconds. Setup process took less than five minutes (including a firmware upgrade, not including typing your password into streaming services). I have thus far successfully streamed content and played back Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, and DVD -- I was particularly impressed by how quickly it loaded a Disney Blu-ray 3D that nearly sends my older Panny into fits. The streaming apps are pretty speedy too; maybe not quite Roku or Apple fast, but close. I'm not sure I love Smart Hub, but I honestly need to give it more time to see what it can do. And, should you need, for any reason, the K8500 can be hooked up to 1080p and 720p displays thanks to an AUTO resolution setting in menu. Basically, if you have HDMI, the K8500 will connect to it (how it reacts to playing HDCP 2.2 content on such a display has yet to be tested).

Samsung_UBD-K8500_Ultra-HD-Blu-ray-Playe

Conclusion

All in all? This could have been an epic disaster -- slow loading times, a horrible interface, clunky remote, EXPENSIVE -- but it's not. It's pretty much a machine any home theatre enthusiast can use and, assuming these performance levels hold, shouldn't be a hair-pulling experience.

We have a LOT more work to do with it, of course, but so far I have high hopes for this little machine. Stay tuned for more.

for a first gen and given the price....looking good so far :)

though its capable in a lot of ways, am looking forward to how it handles the uhd discs :)

for a first gen and given the price....looking good so far :)

though its capable in a lot of ways, am looking forward to how it handles the uhd discs :)

Price I think is excellent on release for new format essentially

Price I think is excellent on release for new format essentially

I paid nearly 3 times the sammy is going for ...for my 1st gen sony blu-ray player and that thing was dog !!!!

anyways lets see.... I see zombie has some discs and a player so will get some good info in the next 24 hours I think.

the critical thing with the player is hdmi 2.0a path it would seem.

The first 24 hrs looks to have been a nightmare for those people trying to sync the new JVC X5000/X7000/X9000 projectors to the UBD-K8500. Other than Zombie, it doesn't sound like many people have had any success at all.

People using the player with a 4k TV don't seem to be having an issue, so it will most likely turn out the be an HDMI issue with the JVC's.

A very similar experience to my first 3 days with my X7000. Being a close 2nd ( or 3rd,maybe) person after Al to actually have one in the wild, nobody, not even the JVC tech in Sydney could help me get "any" signal.

Turned out to being just making about 4 setting adjustments that I'd never heard of before.

Unfortunately for JVC, they released a projector that was ahead of it's time. :hyper::phone:

But they didn't have a chance to test it with a 4k UHD player, 'cause there weren't any.

Now that there out in the field too, hopefully JVC can tweak a few things.

This time I'm really happy that the rest of the world gets to iron out the kinks before we get a player in Oz, and if we're lucky it will be just "plug and play" by April/May.

Part of issue I think are those that are trying to do the firmware update while hooking upto the Jvc the first time. I would do the update just hooked upto a normal tv. And as I suspect a full compatible path will help. Looking forward to zombie :)

Looks like some YouTube issue ?

And yes we are lucky ... By the time we get it ! :)

The first 24 hrs looks to have been a nightmare for those people trying to sync the new JVC X5000/X7000/X9000 projectors to the UBD-K8500. Other than Zombie, it doesn't sound like many people have had any success at all.

People using the player with a 4k TV don't seem to be having an issue, so it will most likely turn out the be an HDMI issue with the JVC's.

This time I'm really happy that the rest of the world gets to iron out the kinks before we get a player in Oz, and if we're lucky it will be just "plug and play" by April/May.

No coincidence this sort of thing happens with a brand new wrinkle Dave ie hdcp2.2 ; weve had 2.1 for ages now and now the sammy 8500 has to communicate with hdmi 1.4 components as well as 2.0 ...

I can sympathise with those who believed FOX when they said that studios discs would have object audio - as jutta noted - great way to market a new format. For the price I want the full experience :logik:

The sammy needs a few firmware updates yet as the 4k streaming complaints went ; ime certainly in a hurry up and wait mode as well :rofl: Have rationalised waiting a little with warranty and stepdown tranny need in mind :logik:

Read somewhere once that its a wise move to disconnect hdmi cables when doing anything with firmware upgrades [ if your a bit paranoid like me - I prefer a thumbdrive than over the network ]

looks like ron jones has it going :)

Ron Jones

A few quick initial observations when initially setting up the K8500 with my JVC RS600 projector
- The player should be connected to network so you can download the firmware update that now available for the K8500
- When going to 3D settings the max. screen size that can be entered is 116 inches
- HDMI color format offers Auto (default), YCbCr (4:4:4), RGB (standard) and RGB (Enhanced): May need to change to YCbCr (4:4:4) when connecting to a JVC projector.
- Deep Color default is Off: May want to change to Auto when connecting to a JVC projector (I found this gives up to 12-bit depth from the K8500).
- When the K8500 is connected directly to my RS600 HDMI &anchor=2, the JVC projector displays a 'no signal' message with EDID set to 'A' and only 1080p when set to 'B'. However, when connecting the K8500 thru my Denon X6200 to the RS600's HDMI #1 it get the 4K/UHD signal to the projector.
- In programming my Harmony remote for use with the K8500, I found that the K8500 is now in the Harmony data base, but no discrete power on and off commands.

first review of the martian on UHD :)

http://redvdit.com/reviews/2016/02/12/martian-4k-uhd/

" So let’s get into it. How does The Martian look in 4K?

It looks fantastic. I’ll be honest, the first few minutes of the film I spent over analyzing everything and trying to convinced myself that this wasn’t that much of an upgrade from the regular blu-ray being upscaled. However, that illusion only lasted a few minutes. The differences you seen here are not what you’d notice in a jump from DVD to blu-ray. What that jump did to clarity, the jump from BD to 4K BD does to detail.

Textures pop out of the screen so vividly that you will believe you can reach out and feel what you are seeing. Fingerprints on helmets, individual beads of sweat, the creases on skin; all things that I’ve noticed for the first time after seeing this film at least four times prior. The colors look somehow more natural and pronounced than the already great looking blu-ray. This is an upgrade in every sense of the word. "