Sign in to follow this  
mello yello

The Official 4K Ultra H D - Blu Ray Thread

I cant be bothered ripping anymore. buy stick in player hit play job done enjoy :)

I agree. :)

Whilst I may keep 'em for a while before I actually open and play it... when I do it's just a matter of putting the disc in.

JSmith :ninja:

How many times do you bring a disc home and rip it straight away....same argument.

Horses for courses, give me the physical media any day.

The big problem with ripping is the amount of hdd space needed.

i'd love to know how big the rip of a ultra blu ray will be...

mixo

Complete or compressed?

How many times do you bring a disc home and rip it straight away....same argument.

Horses for courses, give me the physical media any day.

Pretty much straight away so I can watch it that night.

So the point is having the physical media offers very little to no benefit.

Edited by Satanica

So the point is having the physical media offers very little to no benefit.

To some. Happy for you to swing that way. All good

To some.

What benefit does it give YOU? I'm not interested in how one swings, just the facts.

Even at 10 minutes per disc it would take me over 2 weeks to rip my Blu-ray collection (and that's not taking seasons or bonus feature discs into account). I'd rather sit through 20 seconds of anti piracy warnings and the odd unskippable ad. I've got better things to do than plonk myself in front of the computer all time for that kind of nonsense.

Edited by Cevolution

both

This discs can come in 3 sizes;

50GB, 66GB and 100GB.

Compressed, it depends on level of compression and codec used.

Most compressed .MKV format blu's seem to be about 7 - 15GB, but UHD will use a newer codec which is more efficient.

the A List

list of movies currently available in 4K UHD Black Label format

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/search.php?action=search&videoresolutionid=2683&sortby=releasetimestamp

This is a list of movie released in 4K Digital Cinema format

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls051448087/

last updated - 09 Sep 2013

Edited by mello yello

50GB, 66GB and 100GB.

Most compressed .MKV format blu's seem to be about 7 - 15GB, but UHD will use a newer codec which is more efficient.

uhd is 100 GB vs the 25 GB standard blu-rays or the 50GB dual layer blu-ray. curiously data for rates blu-ray are 25-50 Mbps vs for uhd blu-ray upto 100 Mbps :)

50GB, 66GB and 100GB.

I think you mean "re-compressed" files from blurays. The bitrstream on blurays has already been compressed to a H.264 video stream average of 25-40 Mbps (but with a peak data rate ABR value of typically 80 Mbps). Most unofficial re-compressed rips distributed online are only 20% of that value with minimal visual scene loss.

UHD Blurays will have a capacity of up to double (100GB) that of most standard blurays, not all will be quad layer and many will be just dual or triple layer, and will rely on the benefit of HEVC/h.265 compression to squeeze in the extra detail (by using the same bitrate as ordinary blurays but using HEVC compression to get equivalent quality at the higher resolution). It will be very interesting to compare the 2K vs 4K blurays when they come out to see what quality levels the production companies have for most blurays).

Frankly, I'm very unimpressed by the attitude of many people posting re-compressed blurays online using the HEVC codec. Too many compress the hell out Blurays from ~40GB original using h.264 to only ~1GB using HEVC and the result is terrible doing no justice to the awesome capabilities of HEVC.

As for ripping. I do it not just for the convenience but because I don't frankly have a choice. I don't have any standalone DVD/bluray players and no desire to waste money on buying one. I only have a single USB bluray burner that covers all my optical disc needs across countless PC/media devices in the house, and it's used almost entirely just for ingesting media data onto the NAS for access by all devices. After that the optical discs get boxed up into storage and almost never seen again.

I almost never bother re-compressing the original bluray files since that takes hours per disc to get decent quality. It's easier just to download someone else's re-compressed rip if that is what you're going to do.

uhd is 100 GB vs the 25 GB standard blu-rays or the 50GB dual layer blu-ray. curiously data for rates blu-ray are 25-50 Mbps vs for uhd blu-ray upto 100 Mbps :)

The spec. allows for the sizes I mentioned;

"The spec allows for discs in three sizes: 50GB with 82 Mbit/s, 66GB with 108 Mbit/s, and 100GB with 128 Mbit/s."

http://www.whathifi.com/news/ultra-hd-blu-ray-everything-you-need-to-know

I think you mean "re-compressed" files from blurays.

Well of course I do... we're all aware (as you seem to be) of codecs used to encode BD's. If you know all that, why did you ask? :lol:

Well of course I do... we're all aware (as you seem to be) of codecs used to encode BD's. If you know all that, why did you ask? :lol:

I mentioned it because you asked in a previous post "Complete or compressed?"

Both the original and lower bitrate re-compressed copies are compressed so your question doesn't make sense.