Sign in to follow this  
mello yello

The Official 4K Ultra H D - Blu Ray Thread

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 10:17 PM, CAVX said:

THE MATRIX is not the first UHD/BD combo pack to have a new transfer for the BD.  TERMINATOR 2 JUDGEMENT DAY is also a brand new transfer on the BD which is an upgrade from the previous Skynet Edition. 

I have just finished watching THE MATRIX (UHD) and it is good to see that they have colour corrected it back to the "not so green" look of the original film release.  

Yes Mark they've done a good job with the colour grading but couldn't eradicate the green completely ; if very picky;

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2938740-dune-hd-pro-4k-ultra-thread-54.html#post56238412

If only the bd was separate ; the atmos is whats important B)

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2938740-dune-hd-pro-4k-ultra-thread-55.html#post56246681

On 28/05/2018 at 9:55 PM, cwt said:

Yes Mark they've done a good job with the colour grading but couldn't eradicate the green completely ; if very picky;

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2938740-dune-hd-pro-4k-ultra-thread-54.html#post56238412

If only the bd was separate ; the atmos is whats important B)

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/2938740-dune-hd-pro-4k-ultra-thread-55.html#post56246681

It is almost like cyan/green highlights.  You see these on reflections of light on faces, but the image overall looks very good.    

When they are brothers, the Wachowskis running audio commentary said that the green tint of the matrix was to show the that something was not quite right with the world.  In the first video release, the PAL version of the DVD was more green than the NTSC version.  The two sequels were very green and once it came to BD, the first film was colour altered to match the other 2.    

I'm glad they went back to look closer to the original 35mm film look.  

The issue I have is the over use of highlights.  Even a dull wall light in the room behind Neo is running near max white light on this transfer.  The police flash lights at the beginning are just insanely bright and some of the skys seem way over driven to the point of crush.  The blacks are solid and the image is the sharpest we have seen this to date.      

Just a heads up as to how Hollywood may be encoding some atmos soundtracks in the future to help with atmos delivery streaming bandwidth limits. Especially relevant for those with 7.1.6 ;9.1.6 etc theaters as some titles may be restricted to 7.1.4 channels only :angry: Not exactly what was initially marketed as the home version up to 24/10..

Needless to say check dustjackets carefully for atmos releases going forward :cool: Batpig has made a synopsis of the industry gurus ;

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1574386-official-dolby-atmos-thread-home-theater-version-1650.html#post56094692 

If anyone happens across these discs it may be helpful to mention it ;Jupiter ascending 3d is one ; going forward these will be 4k UHD for reasons were are all aware off :huh:

29 minutes ago, cwt said:

some titles may be restricted to 7.1.4 channels only

as unfortunate as sounds its probably realistic though I reckon cwt. unless an absolute gargantuan theatre I cant imagine the need for anything more than 4 in ceiling heights. ok maybe the voice of god channel to add for auro but any more than that feels a bit overkill. 

anyways will keep an eye on thing as you suggest :)

5 hours ago, :) al said:

as unfortunate as sounds its probably realistic though I reckon cwt. unless an absolute gargantuan theatre I cant imagine the need for anything more than 4 in ceiling heights. ok maybe the voice of god channel to add for auro but any more than that feels a bit overkill. 

anyways will keep an eye on thing as you suggest :)

If anything will put a stop to the requests for ever more speaker channels crammed into avr's Al ; this will :) I do feel for those who have forked out more ; trinnov  and other upmarket owners must feel a bit slighted not to put too fine a point on it :aww:

I feel like I dodged a bullet with my 4 Krix A20's to be honest :blush:

On 24/05/2018 at 5:34 PM, groovem said:

Isn't Terminator 2 just the theatrical version? I am so used to watching the extended version I couldn't go back to the theatrical version.

It is, but I swear I saw details in the back ground in this new version I've never seen before.  Apart from some over processing (Earl Bowen looks a bit like clay), this really is the best version of this film to date on video.

As far as watching TE Vs the SE, the only part I really miss is the T-1000 glitching.   Though I must admit, "resetting the switch" is a pretty cool scene and should never have been taken out/reshot.     

On 16/06/2018 at 9:40 PM, cwt said:

Just a heads up as to how Hollywood may be encoding some atmos soundtracks in the future to help with atmos delivery streaming bandwidth limits. Especially relevant for those with 7.1.6 ;9.1.6 etc theaters as some titles may be restricted to 7.1.4 channels only :angry: Not exactly what was initially marketed as the home version up to 24/10.

That is actually annoying to read that and I don't even have ATMOS yet.

As for the number of overheads, I do think that in a larger room, 6 is really needed.  In my own room which is small, 4 is actually pushing it.  2 doesn't quite cut it but still better then none, I suppose.  

As for the VOG, rather than a single speaker, it needs to be a pair in the centre.  I think it would work better for those times you are not seated directly in the centre.  A single speaker tends to pull and we've already discussed to death this effect with Dolby Surround EX using a single back speaker.  Party why 7.1 came a thing almost 18 years ago.        

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - except oversaturated red color (especially skin tones) on Qled panel it looked very good, enjoyed it again ;)

Anyone know if Baraka is coming to 4K? can they improve on this masterpiece?

Picked up the Predator trilogy today from JB, Predator 1 and 2 and Predators, 35 bucks all up, bargain

I notice that The Matrix Trilogy on 4K has been announced in the US. Typical that the studios allow everyone to purchase the original Matrix release on 4K, then expect you to double dip to get the extra movies in a box set, or buy the individual releases of the two following movies at a far greater cost than buying the three pack.

No double dipping here , only wanted The Matrix, zero interest in 2 and 3. Not even had The Matrix on normal dvd or blu-ray, but i didn't mind getting it on 4K  for the right price, had it on couple of weeks ago, looked nice, but fell asleep during it, so need to rewatch some day lol

On 23/05/2018 at 10:17 PM, CAVX said:

THE MATRIX (UHD) and it is good to see that they have colour corrected it back to the "not so green" look of the original film release.

Thankyou!

This has probably been mentioned before but Planet Earth II is the so far the best example I have come across of what 4K UHD is truly capable  of.    I think some other studios could  learn something from the way this disc was put together.   I noticed the calibrator who did my projector was using it as well as one of his reference disc s.

On 09/08/2018 at 6:12 PM, Tasso said:

This has probably been mentioned before but Planet Earth II is the so far the best example I have come across of what 4K UHD is truly capable  of.    I think some other studios could  learn something from the way this disc was put together.   I noticed the calibrator who did my projector was using it as well as one of his reference disc s.

The colours and the details are awesome, but the stand out for me is the lightning strikes in "Deserts" where you truly see the point of HDR. 

I should probably buy a 2nd copy and add it to my demo material.