mello yello

The Official 4K Ultra H D - Blu Ray Thread

It gets to the point with some older movies where even though a large resolution scan is possible, however MTF is an issue...

JSmith :ninja:

It gets to the point with some older movies where even though a large resolution scan is possible, however MTF is an issue...

its why with some they do a 4k scan instead. I presume they do a test to understand at just what point it isn't getting them more detail.

what is stunning is to see these older films even on blu-ray looking so magnificent. its extensive their back catalog on films they have scanned. from memory sony has been at it for years !!!

what is stunning is to see these older films even on blu-ray looking so magnificent.

For sure Al, some have been awesome restorations. The Searchers with John Wayne came up nicely as did A Space Odyssey. :)

its why with some they do a 4k scan instead. I presume they do a test to understand at just what point it isn't getting them more detail.

what is stunning is to see these older films even on blu-ray looking so magnificent. its extensive their back catalog on films they have scanned. from memory sony has been at it for years !!!

Purchased the My Fair Lady 50th anniversary edition a couple of months ago. Restored in 4K from an 8K scan.

Absolutely incredible.

Purchased the My Fair Lady 50th anniversary edition a couple of months ago. Restored in 4K from an 8K scan.

Absolutely incredible.

funny you mention that 709, we too just got our copy in the mail. what a beautiful way its packaged ! we only watched a snippet at the start to check out. glorious. cant wait to watch the rest :)

funny you mention that 709, we too just got our copy in the mail. what a beautiful way its packaged ! we only watched a snippet at the start to check out. glorious. cant wait to watch the rest :)

Psychic stuff! :)

You are in for a treat - and yes, the packaging is beautiful. Very aware of keeping that shiny silver artwork in tact - and scratchless :unsure:

Damn, I'll have to add that to my list and then drive everyone mad singing the songs, as I did in the early 60's!!

Watched Lawrence a couple of nights ago, studying every grain of sand, I'm starting to think that 4K might not be necessary, the 1080P version is glorious but I'm only too happy to be proven wrong. Bearing in mind of course, that I watch my BDs from just over a metre from the screen.

Learnt something new today. Some may be aware of this already.

To find out what the DI of a film is, go to the Cinematic process section of the "Technical specs" section on IMDB,

eg http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3397884/technical?ref_=tt_ql_dt_7

So for Sicario and The Martian it shows a 4k DI. Hopefully this means no 2k upscaling when it comes to the 4k UHDBR release.

Edited by IMDave

Learnt something new today. Some may be aware of this already.

To find out what the DI of a film is, go to the Cinematic process section of the "Technical specs" section on IMDB,

eg http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3397884/technical?ref_=tt_ql_dt_7

So for Sicario and The Martian it shows a 4k DI. Hopefully this means no 2k upscaling when it comes to the 4k UHDBR release.

imdb is an excellent resource dave, its something have been checking myself since found out about it :)

ps just to correct the martian is actually a DI of 2K but is from 4k source and red raw 6K which is all impressive. I think one thing I red someplace even with a 2K source they have done quite a bit with with the remastering for 4k UHD that is going to be worth it in that form :)

Thanks to the Mods for pinning this thread. Hopefully it will become very active from 01/03/2016 ( at least that's the release date in the US for 4k UHDBR)

+ 1

It's good to have a thread to post all the upcoming releases in one place.

YAY 4K!!!!

:cheer:

My local JB has never even heard of UHDBR.

They have also not heard of Atmos 7.2.4 One salesman said to me "But you only need 2 speakers on the ceiling and no rear surrounds" for Atmos"

just a heads up for anyone who already owns a 4K panel, however cheap or expensive, you have a jump on most of us with online 4K content from Netflix and other sources

http://4k.com/movies/

http://www.cnet.com/news/4k-content-guide-what-to-watch-in-4k-today/

4K TVs are hurtling towards HDTV-level prices at incredible speed but 4K content, at least for now, is only marching forward slowly and very cautiously. While streaming sources of ultra HD are doing this a bit more confidently than many others, the broadcast TV side of the UHD spectrum is really making a slow go of it.

Thus, for the most part, what you’re going to get the most bang for your buck from will either be streaming online content from sources like Netflix and others we mention below or from media set-top box content sources that are specific to certain TV models made by the same companies that create the set-top boxes.

and

A good example of this latter content source is Sony and its 4K media player. It gives your UHD TV (also from Sony) access to the largest single library of UHD movies and entertainment in existence today but the media player itself does cost a pretty load of $500 USD.

but the media player itself does cost a pretty load of $500 USD.

Why would anyone buy a standalone player at such great expense when any decent HTPC, even an Intel NUC with an attached USB bluray player with BD-XL support will be able to play the discs and/or rip them and be far more versatile in what you can do with it (and not be crippled with restrictions etc)?

(and not be crippled with restrictions etc)?

there is no region coding with 4K discs

:)

a 4K HTPC ? build one and i will include it in this thread if you like,