mello yello

The Official 4K Ultra H D - Blu Ray Thread

So it seems to be the number crunching of the video processor that is the handicap at the moment. For straight 1080p Blu-ray video there should not be a problem. 3D video may not be a problem either.

As you said at post #41 above, "Surely it can't be that difficult to produce micro miniature screens to fit a headset, they do for projectors.". One might have thought so. However, for some reason the best we've been offered so far I believe has been the Sony Personal 3D viewer with just 720p resolution. It was expensive and I'm not at all sure it's still in production. You can order a version for the Japanese market through ebay. Had that viewer provided 1920x1080 per eye, and especially if it had offered higher frame rates, I might have seriously considered it. (But at only 720p, I wasn't interested.)

It's apparent the Oculus Rift to be released next year is targeted at gaming, and wide angle, low-resolution VR.

we have a UHD player !!!!

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/topic/207585-new-uhd-samsung-bd-player/

HDR (High Dynamic Range)-ready for extended picture contrast and brightness on compatible TVs

now if i can live with watching KINGSMAN over and over and over till UNDERWORLD is re-released ill be a happy chappie

Kate Beckingsale in 4K, oh yeah

:thumbsup::yes:

Edited by mello yello

HDMI video > UHDTV

S/PDIF/Coax to any receiver for sound

2 boxes ticked

UHD HDR BR player +1 movie

3 boxes ticked

:thumbsup:

The new version of HDCP employed on 4K BD's may become more annoying that the last version... :hmm:

http://www.techhive.com/article/2881620/4k-content-protection-will-frustrate-consumers-more-than-pirates-meet-hdcp-22.html

"While HDCP 2.2 was developed to defeat media pirates, it has far more potential to thwart ordinary folks who just want to enjoy a movie in the privacy of their home.

In fact, though there are many HDMI 2.0 compliant A/V receivers in stores right now, most do not support the new copy protection."

JSmith :ninja:

"While HDCP 2.2 was developed to defeat media pirates, it has far more potential to thwart ordinary folks who just want to enjoy a movie in the privacy of their home.

The media companies are their own worst enemy. Consumers aren't going to replace their TV's, projectors and AV receivers because some new copy protection scheme is introduced. Consumers will just end up ripping the Bluray discs, copying them to a media player device and playing from that instead.

So has anyone been able to find out if/when UHD Blu Ray discs will be available in Australia, and if so,how much?

I currently have The Martian and Chappie ( good for a laugh ) in my Amazon US pre-order Cart, but the exchange rate is a killer.

My local JB has never even heard of UHDBR.

So has anyone been able to find out if/when UHD Blu Ray discs will be available in Australia, and if so,how much?

Nah not sure yet Dave, however I'd imagine very soon...we hope? :D

Pulp Fiction is something I'd love to see a 4K UHD release of as I believe it was scanned in 4K previously... it's such an excellent movie. :)

Thanks to the Mods for pinning this thread. Hopefully it will become very active from 01/03/2016 ( at least that's the release date in the US for 4k UHDBR)

Yeah,I know Pulp Fiction polarizes opinion, but it's in my Top Ten of all time as well. Would love to see it in UHDBR. ( Oh, and even without seeing it in 70mm at the cinema, I reckin "Hateful Eight" would be pretty spectacular as well)

Thanks to the Mods for pinning this thread.

+ 1

It's good to have a thread to post all the upcoming releases in one place.

Thanks to the Mods for pinning this thread. Hopefully it will become very active from 01/03/2016 ( at least that's the release date in the US for 4k UHDBR)

Yeah,I know Pulp Fiction polarizes opinion, but it's in my Top Ten of all time as well. Would love to see it in UHDBR. ( Oh, and even without seeing it in 70mm at the cinema, I reckin "Hateful Eight" would be pretty spectacular as well)

Wouldn't it not look as good seeing it was shot with different cameras?

I remember James Cameron saying something about Titanic and it wasn't shot with HD cameras so would not look as good as movies now.

... it wasn't shot with HD cameras so would not look as good as movies now.

Movies don't need to be shot with digital HD camera's to be able to get a 4K scan of the film...

It comes down to the quality of the original master and film stock used . A 4k intermediate scan shows the studio cares enough to spend the extra imho :yes:

When was it shot exactly ? ; in the early 70's Hollywood tended to use cheap film stock as they werent flush with funds I understand ..

Hey Al .. how about putting some old Elvis movies on UHD BR ?!?!?

Hahaha !