Sign in to follow this  
mello yello

The Official 4K Ultra H D - Blu Ray Thread

20 hours ago, jutta said:

Didn't reach the lofty heights of The Fifth Element for me Kazz but it looks incredible. 

I'd purchase on 4k for sure

The Fifth Element is pretty hard to beat that's for sure,  :D but glad to hear it looked great, should come up well on 4K then.

There is a lot of talk around at the moment about the T2 4K release and excessive DNR, but I read a french review this morning that gave a polar opposite review on it.   http://www.avcesar.com/test/bluray/id-3585/terminator-2-le-jugement-dernier.html

We warn you from the outset: you can forget all versions of the film already seen. This one, remastered in 4K by James Cameron and his teams in 2016, is worth more than a detour, a view image by image could even be envisaged as there is to see and discover.

The overall dynamic is dazzling, the light incredible, the steel blue tempered, the precision simply surgical, the chrome of the cars and weapons glowing as ever ... We could continue until the end of the night, point out the smallest details that win in quality like the electric red of the scan in the subjective view of Terminator, the incandescence of the grid when the T-1000 arrives on Earth, the shine of the grounds like varnish by the rain, the renewal of the explosions which are tinted this time of red ( against yellow on the Blu-Ray). Without forgetting the sharpness, unpublished.

No doubt, the film goes into another visual dimension without being betrayed by its innovative special effects for the time (twenty-six years of age all the same). A subtle feat when compared to Blu-Ray present in the box (very very beautiful too, but less brilliant, a little less brilliant), but a feat of all times that goes from the background finally opened in the bar with scenes of action or resplendent night. All with the manisfest desire of the master not to yield to the sirens of the technical demonstration HDR, which explains the rendering steeped in timeless elegance. In short, a big YES!

To note, the images opposite were captured from the master restored in 4K. Beautiful, they give a little idea what awaits you in 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray.
Top image: none
Picture rating: 6/6

Hey guys, Is the 20% off at JB still going? Doesn't look like it but didn't know if it was some sort of coupon or special site.

they have jacked up their shipping and with prices going up down no idea if really ever 20% off !

Yeah having a look now and doesn't look like it may hold out and wait for it to come up again. In no huge rush really cant watch any of it for 6 months.

19 minutes ago, Camo1151990 said:

Hey guys, Is the 20% off at JB still going? Doesn't look like it but didn't know if it was some sort of coupon or special site.

Ended Sunday the 12th the day before Baby Driver and Atomic Blonde were released.

1 minute ago, duke said:

Ended Sunday the 12th the day before Baby Driver and Atomic Blonde were released.

Cheers thanks mate

1 hour ago, Camo1151990 said:

Whisper is that it'll be back on Friday, maybe with an extra 10% for those on JB's mailing list. Note the email with the extra discount code usually comes after the start of the 20% - be patient...

Going all out for 4k yesterday because of the extra 10% off for JB newsletter subscriber + their usual 20% discount. On top of that they are giving away $20 coupon for any spending over $100. I think I should split my purchase so I can get multiple $20 coupon instead of one. That sure is better than using the one off 10% voucher for one big purchase. Oh well. 

Just spent that $20 coupon on all 8 Harry Potters. Too bad there is no boxset available within reaching distance.

Can't wait for the Transformers boxset from UK and another dozen "3 for $50" from US. Really miss the glory days of our dollar. 

Guest EZYHD

Set up my new Samsung M8500XY yesterday to watch Planet Earth 11 in 4k on the 65" Panny, wow the colour and sharp detail blew us away, I can see myself on the hunt for more 4K titles for sure.

dunkirk on uhd...out today in the shops...I only watched 15 min of.... just as a taster....

232286-L-LO.jpg

and gosh have to say...this is quite something in audio and video......

cant wait to watch the rest ! 

I must be one of few people who thought Dunkirk sucked.

The sound would probably be really good if it has Atmos.

I thought I read somewhere its DTSMA,if so a shame that they didn't use a 3D audio track,

27 minutes ago, muriwai said:

I thought I read somewhere its DTSMA,if so a shame that they didn't use a 3D audio track,

Yes a bit of shame but tell you what withthe neural-x upsampling it’s bloody good !!

Can anyone here clarify what the resolution/bit depth etc for UHD is? I've been digging online and can't find anything definitive. I believe it is:

- 3840x2160 (obviously)

- 10 bit (pretty sure on this one)

- 4:2:0 (this one I'm 100% unsure of...)

3 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Can anyone here clarify what the resolution/bit depth etc for UHD is? I've been digging online and can't find anything definitive. I believe it is:

- 3840x2160 (obviously)

Yes

Yes

Yes

40 minutes ago, davmel said:

Yes

Yes

Yes

... city Ford says yes more often. ;)

JSmith :ninja:

6 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

- 3840x2160 (obviously)

UHD bluray ? Just add '  Don't let Sony fool you with the alternative 4K resolution ; that's for DCI in the film industry :)

Sony’s native 4K (4096 x 2160) SXRD panel technology produces true 4K resolution pictures with over four times the quality of Full HD.

Guest Sime

Just watching the 4k of this stupid movie “Billy Lynn’s long half time walk” and it’s out of the player at 10mins, what a crap film, crap cinematography and don’t get me started on the acting/directing. 

And to to add insult to injury, 60fps. Yuck. 

Edited by Sime

6 hours ago, Sime said:

Just watching the 4k of this stupid movie “Billy Lynn’s long half time walk” and it’s out of the player at 10mins, what a crap film, crap cinematography and don’t get me started on the acting/directing. 

I bought it a few months ago to test whether my new cabling could transmit an 18Gb/s signal ( 4k60fps). I've only watched the first 5 mins, and haven't been tempted to try to go further.

Cable works.....that's all I really need to know.:)

6 hours ago, Sime said:

I liked that movie.

Guest Sime

Has anyone seen”Murder on the orient express” and is it good?

Just a copy of the original so if you've seen it then you know the ending.

Hi guys. I haven't jumped into 4K as yet, still using a JVC X-35 projector but I am purchasing 4K BD's (only own 3). I borrowed Last Jedi in 4K from a guy at work to test on my Oppo 205 as it wont play on his Panasonic 4K player. I know this has been raised before but what is it with these latest Disney releases where the audio is sooo low? My normal listening volume typically is around -18 to -16 but for Last Jedi I had to bump it up to -8 to get any decent sound and even then IMO the audio was just average compared to other BD's. Thor- Ragnarok was the same but at -8 it sounds excellent but still no where near BD's like Wonder Women (one of best I've heard) or classics like TIH, WOTW, Tron-Legacy and the first Thor. 

I feel like they have lost the art of studio recording and wish the person who mixed those mentioned movies would do the more recent ones. Going to JB Hi-Fi today so any recommendations on some reference 4K BD's?