The Official 4K Ultra H D - Blu Ray Thread

KEF, I purchased Half-Blood Prince on 4K and was not impressed. The same generally dark look as the BD. Occasional boosted highlights.  Very slightly improved detail, occasionally. This movie had only a 2K digital intermediate, as per IMDB tech specs: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417741/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

On 5/20/2017 at 0:06 PM, bernievink said:

This seems to have solved the problem for the "mummy" movies.

I will need to go back to test "storks & Sully" again later and see if they still work OK.

On 5/20/2017 at 6:19 PM, CWT said: "Bandwidth is a problem with some of these very high mbps uhd streams Bernie"

I took the plunge and invested in some fancy HDMI cables. the only ones in JB store marked "HDR capable" and guess what, they were not in the TV section but in the Games section. The JB TV salesman did not even know they existed.

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/games-consoles/platforms/cables-charging/gtek-premium-certified-hdmi-2-0b-cable/328460/

To see if it makes any improvement, at $78 for two, it will not break the bank.

Edited by bernievink
added second quote

wont break the bank i guess... being premium certified atleast if doesnt help you ... you know its not cable realted

on other matters... scrounging around the jb inventory... to grab a few discs... I noticed a bit of a strange oddity...

they have a world movie section...and there is not one blu-ray amongst ? there are brilliant movies from around the world... just because they are not english language doesnt mean they dont come in blu-rays ! 

I note they do offer online some more blu-rays...but the dvds are 4 to 1 in ratio when comes to world movies... how strange...

also I note some other foreign films even ones from the uk... jb doesnt stock the blu-ray...only the dvd ? and you cant buy the blu-ray version ?

have to buy it from overseas ? e.g. amazon ? how strange ....

as a note the droid did say 4k sales had gone bonkers with this 2 for 1 deal. maybe people perceive better value wiht the 4k editions... especially when 3 out of 4 uhd discs i bought were priced at $29.95 just like their blu-ray counter part ! 

2 hours ago, said:

as a note the droid did say 4k sales had gone bonkers with this 2 for 1 deal. maybe people perceive better value wiht the 4k editions... especially when 3 out of 4 uhd discs i bought were priced at $29.95 just like their blu-ray counter part ! 

Hmm, yeah I heard the same comment when I couldn't find stock and asked them to check for me.  Between two nearby stores and online, I bought 28 discs (23 x UHD and 5 x 3D) since 50% off doesn't come around that often.  There will be some bad ones in there, I'm sure, but at an average of $17 each I'm pretty happy.  Most of them came with a FHD blu-ray copy too.  Hard to say no when you've just bought all the hardware (got 50% off the Samsung UHD player last month too) and you only own a small selection so far.

37 minutes ago, jasoroony said:

Hmm, yeah I heard the same comment when I couldn't find stock and asked them to check for me.  Between two nearby stores and online, I bought 28 discs (23 x UHD and 5 x 3D) since 50% off doesn't come around that often.  There will be some bad ones in there, I'm sure, but at an average of $17 each I'm pretty happy.  Most of them came with a FHD blu-ray copy too.  Hard to say no when you've just bought all the hardware (got 50% off the Samsung UHD player last month too) and you only own a small selection so far.

that would be a massive saving ! and yet not some... all come with a blu-ray version so 4k uhds with a blu-ray version are a great buy when think of it :) 

20 hours ago, said:

$78 wont break the bank i guess... being premium certified at least if doesn't help you ... you know its not cable related

Well you were right in this instance. the problem is not cable related. The new "UHD capable 18Gb/s certified cables" do not make any difference when the problem is in existence.

4 hours ago, bernievink said:

Well you were right in this instance. the problem is not cable related. The new "UHD capable 18Gb/s certified cables" do not make any difference when the problem is in existence.

hmm thats a pity , i was actually hoping your problem will go away. that then points to either an equipment or setting issue or equipment / setting as a combination ?

what is your equipment again ?

1 hour ago, said:

what is your equipment again ?

This is my combination:-

Player Samsung UBD-K6500 firmware 1010, modded by Gatti audio to be region free and multi zone.

Receiver Sony STR dh770.

TV Samsung UA-60-KU-6000-WXXY firmware 1169.

Player set to split Video and audio on HDMI 1 & 2.

Now using 2 GTEK Premium Certified HDMI 2.0b Cables.

someone suggested trying to put the TV and player on different power points but I don.t see any gain in that. However I might just give it a try (clutching straws here)

Edited by bernievink

5 minutes ago, bernievink said:

This is my combination:-

Player Samsung UBD-K6500 firmware 1010, modded by Gatti audio to be region free and multi zone.

Receiver Sony STR dh770.

TV Samsung UA-60-KU-6000-WXXY firmware 1169.

Player set to split Video and audio on HDMI 1 & 2.

Now using 2 GTEK Premium Certified HDMI 2.0b Cables.

someone suggested trying to put the TV and player on different power points but I don.t see any gain in that. However I might just give it a try (clutching straws here)

if bypassing the avr...that leaves it out the equation ? 

I've used the same player no issues. modded as well.

so that leaves display id suggest or some setting combination between display and player.

perhaps start a thread and post some screen shots what you are seeing not seeing. a few more symptoms etc so we can help try get to bottom off :) 

1 hour ago, said:

I've used the same player no issues. modded as well.

so that leaves display id suggest or some setting combination between display and player.

Is it possible all the movies that cause trouble have either DTS:X or Dolby atmos while most of the ones that play fine dont have these audio options.

1 minute ago, bernievink said:

Is it possible all the movies that cause trouble have either DTS:X or Dolby atmos while most of the ones that play fine dont have these audio options.

dont know. but start a separate thread id suggest and state some of the conditions you see causing. and maybe we can pin that tail :)

2 hours ago, said:

Start a separate thread id suggest and state some of the conditions you see causing. and maybe we can pin that tail :)

I think I will play the 1080 BR copy of these movies until a more advanced UHD player becomes available.

the amount of time and money wasted trying to solve the problem is not worth it for now.

The only thing I might try to do is go back to a previous firmware on the player. I believe version 1010 was withdrawn a few days after its release. might talk to Dave Gatti about going back to 1009 firmware.

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:42 PM, said:

that would be a massive saving ! and yet not some... all come with a blu-ray version so 4k uhds with a blu-ray version are a great buy when think of it :) 

Its easy to reconcile buying the 4k version Al when you check it lists dolby atmos on the spec page ; and you get a few 2k discs to sell :)

On ‎20‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 0:06 PM, bernievink said:

This seems to have solved the problem for the "mummy" movies.

I will need to go back to test "storks & Sully" again later and see if they still work OK.

Storks and Sully don't work when you bypass the avr Bernie I take it ? When I said '' the video passthrough capabilities of the avr is very important anecdotally " dedicated chipsets that are rated for hi bandwidth [ to clarify] are more important than ever - specs like this - [ Dual Analog Devices ADV7625 video mux’s for "Bit-Perfect" HDMI switching]

That said a well designed avr will just ignore any dolby atmos or dts-x metadata and just play the lossless track that's piggybacking them ..

Edited by cwt

1 hour ago, bernievink said:

I think I will play the 1080 BR copy of these movies until a more advanced UHD player becomes available.

the amount of time and money wasted trying to solve the problem is not worth it for now.

The only thing I might try to do is go back to a previous firmware on the player. I believe version 1010 was withdrawn a few days after its release. might talk to Dave Gatti about going back to 1009 firmware.

mine is long gone now for good 4 months ? so not sure what it was on firmware wise.

• 2 weeks later...

looking back at the year gone since the launch of uhd... we have had 104 ! uhd blu-rays launched in the first year of the format locally ! there were even more released overseas... and luckily being region free they are easy enough to grab as well.

speaking to he drones and seen the uhds sold off the shelves at jb in the recent sale... then perhaps some idea of the success the format is so far as well... the fact in many cases the uhd blu-ray costs the same a the blu-ray disc...and that infact the uhd even comes with a blu-ray as well ... you'd have to be a dumass to not buy the uhd :D 

so yeah a good year gone...and looking at the release calendar plenty of great films to come... all very much looking forward too ! :drool:

3 hours ago, said:

looking back at the year gone since the launch of uhd... we have had 104 ! uhd blu-rays launched in the first year of the format locally ! there were even more released overseas... and luckily being region free they are easy enough to grab as well.

speaking to he drones and seen the uhds sold off the shelves at jb in the recent sale... then perhaps some idea of the success the format is so far as well... the fact in many cases the uhd blu-ray costs the same a the blu-ray disc...and that infact the uhd even comes with a blu-ray as well ... you'd have to be a dumass to not buy the uhd :D 

The words "good start" come to mind Al ;  not to denigrate our magnificent internet :o:D

http://variety.com/2016/digital/news/early-ultra-hd-blu-ray-sales-numbers-exceed-disc-predecessor-1201804322/

• 3 months later...

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Kazz said:

@:) al and anyone else looking for this just a heads up  JB have Serenity in stock (although not on their site) and it's $32.99 compared to Sanity which have it listed at $39.99.

how strange of jb to have on shelf and not on the website ?

no idea how to change the ezydvd order but I note they adjusted the price to $34.57 ? probably close enough to leave