Sign in to follow this  
mello yello

The Official 4K Ultra H D - Blu Ray Thread

I think Toshiba have lost face from the previous format wars when one considers they had a saleable product but had failed to market it properly.

Likewise, unless Sony markets 4K properly it too will fail.

A higher resolution than 1080p won't convince people to spend on a similar sized screen nor will a brighter screen or even HDR.

Consumers have already bought into home theatre with 1080p Blu-ray and they are not likely to throw all that gear out to replace it with expensive upgrades that gives them marginal improvements.

4K requires a very big screen to justify its implementation, that means in a practical sense the use of a suitable projector in a dedicated room. In a great many households that is not going to happen.

4K is really pushing it up hill even more so than Blu-ray did in getting itself accepted in the marketplace.

C.M

Edited by Tweet

It is my understanding that all disks released under the UHD banner must have a form of HDR embedded.

Currently HDR10 and Dolby Vision are the two options, with each being mutually exclusive. I don't know enough at this stage to say which is better, but it looks like most disks will be HDR10, some may have both, and a smaller percentage with Dolby Vision alone.

From the information coming out of Germany( Ekki at cine4home) with the testing of the new JVC X5000/7000/9000 projectors it looks like HDR and the new improved DCI-P3 colour gamut included in the UHD standard are "very worthwhile" improvements over Bluray. Certainly much more than the improvement provided by the increase in resolution to 4k.

Yes Dave ;posted this awhile ago ;;HDR10 is the mandatory spec for uhd bd [and is handled by all the new jvc's - sweet ] Dolby vision seems to be the best of the non mandatory ones ;phillips one not as good ..samsungs tv only proprietary one not as good either :question:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/topic/196862-next-generation-jvcs-x500070009000/?view=findpost&p=2038713

I think Toshiba have lost face from the previous format wars when one considers they had a saleable product but had failed to market it properly.

Likewise, unless Sony markets 4K properly it too will fail.

A higher resolution than 1080p won't convince people to spend on a similar sized screen nor will a brighter screen or even HDR.

Consumers have already bought into home theatre with 1080p Blu-ray and they are not likely to throw all that gear out to replace it with expensive upgrades that gives them marginal improvements.

4K requires a very big screen to justify its implementation, that means in a practical sense the use of a suitable projector in a dedicated room. In a great many households that is not going to happen.

4K is really pushing it up hill even more so than Blu-ray did in getting itself accepted in the marketplace.

C.M

be some benefit from 4k, but for most its going to be marginal as we dont have imax setups ! to appreciate the better than imax res the format delivers. recent reviews coming are showing good benefit with HDR and wider gamut which regardless of 4k hopefully there for all to enjoy :)

Yes Dave ;posted this awhile ago ;;HDR10 is the mandatory spec for uhd bd [and is handled by all the new jvc's - sweet ] Dolby vision seems to be the best of the non mandatory ones ;phillips one not as good ..samsungs tv only proprietary one not as good either :question:

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/topic/196862-next-generation-jvcs-x500070009000/?view=findpost&p=2038713

Shazam, out-scooped again. :D

It does seem that UHD has peaked a lot of interest. I know that with my recent obsession to learn about the new JVC's there has been a lot to bone up on.

I am also a little concerned that if I end up with an X7000, then jump on to an Oppo 4k player when it's released, that with my old AVR, I'm going to have to overhaul the entire chain and upgrade that too.

It's a lot of investment considering we'll probably not see a massive UHD catalogue for quite a while. Especially 4k DI UHD, not just upconverted 2k scans.

Ah the price of the bleeding edge. Just don't tell the wife. :zorro:

Yes, I too am being slowly seduced by the forthcoming expectations of the JVC X7000 projector, but it's all the rest to upgrade that erks me.

I already have 3 Denon AVR's, 3 projectors, a number of Blu-ray players and DVD players, an XE1 HD DVD player (barely used... thankyou Toshiba) 2 Mede8er media players..... the list just goes on and on.

That's why I have decided to wait this one out for a year or two to see if the format actually gets traction.

That X7000 does look nice though. :lol:

C.M

Edited by Tweet

That X7000 does look nice though. :lol:

C.M

Wonder if we can talk Rich or Nightbreed into a Group Buy ( pre-order pricing)? :flowers::flowers::hug:

ok, going to need

• a 4K UHD television (getting cheaper)

entry level into the fascinating world of Ultra High Definition aka 4K

ALDI have a 65inch UHDTV selling for $1199

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/topic/196887-a-l-d-i-monster-65incher-u-h-d-t-v-for-1199/

unfortunately that thread was closed due to persistent trolling, this thread wont suffer the same fait

one box ticked

ALDI have a 65inch UHDTV selling for $1199

one box ticked

Get a uhd player with dual hdmi outs mello and if your happy with the current lossless channel codecs you can skip this :winky: ;

a 4K UHD receiver i would imagine (already available)

true, true, probably no need for a UHD receiver at this early stage, i was just thinking of the convenience of one HDMI to carry both audio and visual

HDMI video > UHDTV

S/PDIF/Coax to any receiver for sound

2 boxes ticked

however, any marketing guru worth his 458 Italia and bonus package will no doubt conceive or "invent" the "next best audio codec since MP3" marketed as Ultra High Definition Pure Audio, resulting in both requiring an "upgrade" and a zillion threads all over the internet about how one must theoretically sound superior on one side, while most wont be able to discern any audible difference whatsoever on the other

basically how it works isnt it ?

Edited by mello yello

true, true, probably no need for a UHD receiver at this early stage, i was just thinking of the convenience of one HDMI to carry both audio and visual

HDMI video > UHDTV

S/PDIF/Coax to any receiver for sound

2 boxes ticked

however, any marketing guru worth his 458 Italia and bonus package will no doubt conceive or "invent" the "next best audio codec since MP3" marketed as Ultra High Definition Pure Audio, resulting in both requiring an "upgrade" and a zillion threads all over the internet about how one must theoretically sound superior on one side, while most wont be able to discern any audible difference whatsoever on the other

basically how it works isnt it ?

Thats how it usually goes mello . The object codecs are unlike what has gone before though [ sort of like the difference between dolby pro logic and discrete audio - better panning of sounds ] so if you can get a demo Ide be curious mate :) At the very least you can point at your ceiling speakers and say '' thats how serious I am about sound :hyper: ''

lol

what ceiling speakers ? :huh:

i aint got no ceiling speakers

i dont see no ceiling speakers

we dont need no steenking ceiling speakers !!!!

:zorro:

Some interesting points...

"Though many believe that 4K Blu-ray is already dead in the water, I think there's also a compelling counter-argument to that sentiment. Whether the world likes it or not, here's why physical media will be sticking around for a while to come."

http://www.techradar.com/au/news/video/-almost-4k-reasons-why-ultra-hd-blu-ray-needs-to-succeed-1306060

JSmith :ninja:

lol

what ceiling speakers ? :huh:

i aint got no ceiling speakers

i dont see no ceiling speakers

we dont need no steenking ceiling speakers !!!!

:zorro:

Yeah ; Ren and stimpy ; now thats entertainment :rofl:

Yeah ; Ren and stimpy ; now thats entertainment :rofl:

will let you know here as soon as it becomes available in UHD ;-)

will let you know here as soon as it becomes available in UHD ;-)

That will be one high res rubber nipple once out on 4K BD. :pinch:

JSmith :ninja: