mello yello

The Official 4K Ultra H D - Blu Ray Thread

UHD blurays should provide the highest quality possible... so those that want the best will need to fork out. ;)

JSmith :ninja:

and fork out we/they will !!!!

however it is up to us to say, "im as mad as a two bob watch and i just wont take it"

question JB HiFi ... "wattya mean $50? ... how much did it cost to produce? "

question Panasonic ... "wattya mean $1500? ... are you crazy? ... what can it do that a $500 player cant do? "

question Oppo ... "wattya mean by the holidays? ... which holidays? ... im not due for holidays for another 12 months, ... get a wriggle on..."

question Warner/Fox/Roadshow/Universal ... "when are you actually going to release some good quality movies other than some of this garbage you think you are getting away with ... "

question...question...question

dont just roll over and pay over $1500 for an entry level player, demand! demand! demand!

hustle, move it, hassle, ... come on people, dont roll over

Amen to quality. Not everyone wants MP3 level quality. I am willing to pay.

Peter!!!!! you touch that disc and pay $50 for it, and we will ALL be paying $50 till 8K comes out !!

...just kidding ;-)

value is obviously in the hands of the beholder, enjoy mate ;-)

keep an eye on that 4K/2K source mastering though

Edited by mello yello

I should know you better by now lol :D Even when we get the crappy shortsighted NBN version"We have a strong and credible broadband policy because the man who has devised it, the man who will implement it, virtually invented the Internet in this country... thank you so much, Malcolm Turnbull," he said guess who :question: ; it wont be able to match anywhere near the 100mbps odd you get from a disc . Dont get me started on downloading vs streaming ; what fun getting 1/2 way through a movie and it dropping out or your player starts buffering :no:

I get a kick out of isp providers in the US bandwidth throttling subscribers downloading because of hd streaming ; let alone uhd streaming ; that could never happen here of course ..

He said facetiously :rofl:

i made them up, how else would they appear to not have a grasp of what is (lol)

i used inverted commas to imply a hypothetical scenario where one or more hardware manufacturers might decide "its just not worth it" ... (see what i did there)

my point entirely was... lets not get too hasty buying discs as, number one, the debate of hardware players vs streaming hasnt been totally finalised and decided as to whether it will be one or the other or both. (My guess is both will probably prevail in the short term), and number two, be aware of stockpiling early adopter discs redundantly as there will probably be some free inclusions in boxes in the months to come

i strongly support player and disc, i really cant get my head around paying for bandwidth on top of paying for the movie, on top of download hardware like a PC or whatever

Well, I still play with SACDs, and I actually feel cables and power cords matter... so I do pay for things I feel matter... no Starbucks for me... Velo Nero - Sydney CBD for good coffee...

Was in USA last night.. oh dear... what passes for coffee was quite painful..

question JB HiFi ... "wattya mean $50? ... how much did it cost to produce? "

It'll end up in the bargain bin at one point... ;)

"Interesting report on HDGuru

DEG: 4K Ultra HD Products Saw Strong Q1 Sales:
"Ultra HDTV sets continued to show “dramatic” growth in the quarter, with unit sales shipments surpassing 1.5 million for the period, according to the preliminary numbers released by the group.""
as per above, obviously the early adopters are in full swing...or is it mid swing and more to come time will tell, its hardly even been fully released around the world. but possibly its those early adopters of displays who bought early even before the source players or media had come out. after all its pretty hard to buy a TV that doesnt proclaim 4k of some sort these days. quite likely people with these displays jumping in with finally a source. s they say 4k hungry consumers quickly bought up the sammy player and some 80,000 ! discs in first weeks of launch !

as if we have a choice these days

which part of it is interesting?, have you stepped out into the real world and tried to buy a HD only TV to try and save some money while waiting for cheaper OLED UHD ?

almost every television over a certain size is UHD 4K compulsory, so its hardly surprising news that they are selling

ALDI even have UHD 4K these days

i find it depressing news as that is in America, we cant even watch our national sports properly in HD yet!!!

re the Samsung player : "The group couldn’t report sales volume numbers because only one manufacturer is currently supplying a player."

You reported it effectively.

you betcha, barely 10 seconds ago

reported SPAM

"Interesting report on HDGuru

interesting background information on HD "Guru"

from his own About Me page

The HD Guru is consumer electronics industry veteran Gary Merson. He began his 30 year long career in retailing, where he eventually served as VP of operations for a chain of consumer electronics stores. His unique combination of selling floor experience and technical expertise led to consulting jobs with major TV manufacturers. Today he’s best known as an industry analyst and award winning journalist and critic.

he has received an Academy Award for best supporting salesman, acting as a journalist, is closely affiliated with Amazon and other commercial profit seeking entities such as Best Buy, who are simply, advertisers and box movers

he has no technical qualifications whatseover, otherwise he would have mentioned them

http://hdguru.com/about/

Guru my backside lol

:P

interesting background information on HD "Guru"

from his own About Me page

The HD Guru is consumer electronics industry veteran Gary Merson. He began his 30 year long career in retailing, where he eventually served as VP of operations for a chain of consumer electronics stores. His unique combination of selling floor experience and technical expertise led to consulting jobs with major TV manufacturers. Today he’s best known as an industry analyst and award winning journalist and critic.

Guru my backside lol

Well put Mello !!

Well put Mello !!

lol, i see what you did there ;-)

almost as meaningful as saying UHD sales are increasing, but not reporting that UHD is all you can buy, or saying we dont have any actual numbers but hey, its a zillion to one in a sales contrast ratio between UHD and HD

http://hdguru.com/which-hdtv-specs-matter-meaningful-and-meaningless-numbers/7435/

here they say spec sheets are meaningless, but the actual specs that they exaggerate are important, ????

sounds like he's the one that likes to have it both ways ;-)

Edited by mello yello

lol, i see what you did there ;-)

Thought you would like it ..... but you could say that I was "right behind you!" LOL

Thought you would like it ..... but you could say that I was "right behind you!" LOL

puckering up and getting to the bottom of things ? ;-)

youre going to make me as paranoid as Gazza

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/technolog/your-tv-watching-you-latest-models-raise-concerns-483619

Edited by mello yello

see, this is where he is more a marketing "guru" and no doubt earned all his Academy Wards from the "industry" ... but not so much a technical giant

lets not forget Samsung were beginning to crush SONY in those days

"With so many questions raised and no answers provided, HD Guru recommends you weigh the possibilities and decide whether or not you care about its unknown personal privacy risks before purchasing one of these HDTVs."

anybody can ask a question, its like Seinfeld and the car rental reservation lol

Edited by mello yello

puckering up and getting to the bottom of things ? ;-)

Now ... stop right there. This is supposed to be a serious thread ... this is "The Official 4K UHD" as opposed to the "Unofficial ..."

Now ... stop right there. This is supposed to be a serious thread ... this is "The Official 4K UHD" as opposed to the "Unofficial ..."

gotcha ;-)

So did the movies that are being released with HDR have HDR when shown at the cinema?

EG: I saw Deadpool on this screen http://readingcinemas.com.au/titan_xc

Edited by duke

So watching a 4k HDR Bluray on a 4k TV without HDR is not that bad seeing the cinema release never had it.

sounds good in theory

So watching a 4k HDR Bluray on a 4k TV without HDR is not that bad seeing the cinema release never had it.

Well the typical digital picture quality at typical suburban theatres is rather poor in my opinion as regards contrast. As I (and others) have mentioned before on this forum, the blacks are not particularly black. Shadow detail that might otherwise exist and be fed to the projector, would get lost in the dark grey "minimum black level" of the screen.

My existing 4k 65" LCD TV doesn't have HDR capability, but it has much better blacks than I see at public cinemas. The question in my mind is how well a 4k blu-ray player will render shadow detail, and near peak whites, when connected to my TV. How well will the player render the HDR encoded disc in SDR?

Some forum members may recall that over the years I have on several occasions bemoaned the crushing of near blacks in television broadcasts of various programs, and in the authoring of Blu-rays. One example I cited were scenes in the Harry Potter Blu-rays.

I also complained about clipped highlights on TV and with Blu-rays. Blu-ray authoring would typically try to use the full range from video black to video peak white in every scene, regardless of whether the scene was set in the midday sun, or the very late afternoon. Use of peak white in every scene is bit like the way pop music CDs are typically authored these days at peak level, rather than reflecting a nuanced performance of soft and loud, the way classical music recordings are authored.

With the advent of HDR authoring it will no longer be good enough to encode near blacks as black, or near peak white as peak white. Or to include full black in a scene set in the midday sun, or full white in a scene set in moonlight. The increased attention to such matters should lead to more realistic portrayals of brightness. There will be nuanced degrees of contrast, not full blast contrast such as you see in the advertisements in a glossy magazine, or in prints of family snaps as performed by a commercial printing service, or in typical Blu-rays of the past.

It is my unconfirmed assumption that my non-HDR TV will be fed nuanced contrast, and not full blast contrast, when connected to a UHD player playing an HDR encoded UHD disc.

Well the typical digital picture quality at typical suburban theatres is rather poor in my opinion as regards contrast.

+ 1, I agree... some cinema viewings have been that bad I was considering asking for a refund. But who could be bothered with all that...? :);)

Star Trek (2009), & Star Trek into the Darkness UHD Blu-ray's are now up from pre-order on Ezydvd's website, the release date is currently showing as the 7th of July:

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/blu-ray/star-trek-2009-uhd-4k-blu-ray/dp/6174533

http://www.ezydvd.com.au/blu-ray/star-trek-into-darkness-uhd-4k-blu-ray/dp/6174532