The Official 4K Ultra H D - Blu Ray Thread

3 hours ago, JSmith said:

Seems Pioneer will release soon a UHD BD player/burner drive for PC's... handy for those who are into HTPC setups;

No it's not handy at all. All existing HTPC setups have been locked out due to the ridiculous restrictions placed on AACS 2.0 decryption. Frankly it is a total waste of time to buy (eventually when everything is available) all the parts needed to get it working. It's so much easier to download 4K UHD bluray rips from unofficial sources and just watch them without any restrictions whatsoever. The industry has gone above and beyond to shoot themselves in the foot this time making it so much harder to legitimately view UHD disc content on a PC that all PC users are turning to unofficial sources. They only have themselves to blame and now have no revenue from PC viewing users. And all this comes at a time when iTunes has locked out 1080p download access to older iTunes versions where the download could be decrypted, now only allowing 720p downloads and effectively cutting off revenue from customers that legitimately paid for content but wanted to view it on software that wasn't iTunes. The movie industry doesn't deserve an income if they want to dictate what hardware and software you can use to view their content. Screw em.

12 hours ago, JSmith said:

Seems Pioneer will release soon a UHD BD player/burner drive for PC's... handy for those who are into HTPC setups;

http://pioneer.jp/pcperipherals/bdd/products/bdr_s11j/basic.php

Although, may be difficult to implement too;

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/243463-new-pioneer-ultra-blu-ray-burners-pack-4k-playback-16x-burn-speeds

I wonder when studio's may implement AACS 2.0 enhanced on UHD 4K bluray discs;

http://www.myce.com/news/sony-hack-reveals-aacs-2-0-ultra-hd-blu-ray-copy-protection-details-75833/

Maybe once they have DolbyVision HDR? :blink:

... hopefully never.

JSmith :ninja:

probably easier / cheaper to just buy the $188 sammy uhd player ... 

33 minutes ago, said:

probably easier / cheaper to just buy the $188 sammy uhd player ... 

That's a heavily discounted price JB were offering a week ago. It's now back to its normal price of $396.

I agree with the sentiment however, having used home theatre pc's in the past to play HD DVDs and Blu-rays. There were many hiccups to sort out in the early days. There's a lot to be said for the simplicity and dependability of a dedicated player.

9 hours ago, davmel said:

It's so much easier to download 4K UHD bluray rips from unofficial sources and just watch them without any restrictions whatsoever.

It might be easier, but for many, including me, it is morally unacceptable not to pay for access to a 4K movie.

20 minutes ago, JSmith said:

Wasn't that just a one off deal @ JB a while back? It's a good $530 with region mod...

JSmith :ninja:

$188 last week.  it goes on and off sale very regularly. just have to keep eye out just like with the other uhd players. region freeing it isn't that expensive I think from memory mine cost me $220 installed and that was on release(be cheaper now surely). even then looking at a $400 odd prospect these days for a region freed player which is d@mn cheap ! 

When is the movie industry going to understand that hardware and software is not the issue, it's the price they want everyone to pay to get a physical copy.

If they reduced the price, more people would be willing to pay rather than look to illegal sources.

3 hours ago, digitalj said:

Why do actors need multi-million dollar salaries anyway? That is likely the biggest reason for prices being too high to start with.

I think the special effects are what cost so much. It takes multiple digital artists thousands of hours to create the effects for movies like Rogue One etc

6 hours ago, doggiehowser1503564764 said:

Why are there so many models running concurrently? What's the difference?

- 1 vs 2 HDMI?

- analog outputs vs none?

Considering the 900 is already just under $600 on offers, how much cheaper will the other ones be?

As you go down the pana line that's exactly right doggie ; logos for 300 then 400 below ; the 900 has the multi analogs and 32bit dacs but if you don't need this the 400 also has a better  low jitter clock to help mitigate hdmi's silly video clock timing ; just like the oppo 205 without the fancy analog stage :) 7.1 analog outputs are ok for music depending on your system but totally redundant for atmos 7.1.4 say ..

4K High-Precision Chroma Processor4K Direct Chroma Up-scaling4K 60p/50p, 4:4:4 Output4K NetworkingHigh-resolution Audio PlaybackInternet AppsHDMI CEC
  • 4K High-Precision Chroma Processor4K Direct Chroma Up-scaling4K 60p/50p, 4:4:4 Output4K NetworkingHigh Clarity Sound PremiumHigh-resolution Audio PlaybackTwin HDMITwin HDMIInternet AppsMirroring with Smartphone / TabletWireless LAN Built-in
Edited by cwt

Hi Folks

Just had my Samsung UBD-K8500 Modded by Gatti Audio.

will now no longer need to have two BD players side by side, one region A one region B.

Any one want a region A Sony BDP-S5200 complete with AU 240/12V transformer ?

will offer for sale in the Hardware section too. ($50 for pickup in Gembrook) postage added for it to be sent anywhere in Australia.

Edited by bernievink
typo

17 hours ago, bernievink said:

Hi Folks

Just had my Samsung UBD-K8500 Modded by Gatti Audio.

will now no longer need to have two BD players side by side, one region A one region B.

Any one want a region A Sony BDP-S5200 complete with AU 240/12V transformer ?

will offer for sale in the Hardware section too. ($50 for pickup in Gembrook) postage added for it to be sent anywhere in Australia.

whats gatti charging to mod them these days bernie ?

52 minutes ago, said:

whats gatti charging to mod them these days bernie ?

I paid him $190 to do the mod. I visited him at his home, dropped it off and one hour later picked it up again.

Mod works perfectly. region A,B,C switched via remote control colour buttons (Red=A Green=B Yellow=C)

The remote buttons actually display A,B & C on them, and unit is now fully auto Multi-zone for DVDs as well instead of only zone 4.

20160505_150609.jpg

Edited by bernievink

22 minutes ago, bernievink said:

I paid him $190 to do the mod. I visited him at his home, dropped it off and one hour later picked it up again.

Mod works perfectly. region A,B,C switched via remote control colour buttons (Red=A Green=B Yellow=C)

The remote buttons actually display A,B & C on them, and unit is now fully auto Multi-zone for DVDs as well instead of only zone 4.

20160505_150609.jpg

great stuff burnie ! still remains one of the cheapest ways into a modded uhd player these days and with its streaming ability. It also would have to be THE simplest region modded player in use too... couldnt believe how simple it was to change zones :D 

22 minutes ago, said:

great stuff bernie ! still remains one of the cheapest ways into a modded uhd player these days and with its streaming ability. It also would have to be THE simplest region modded player in use too... couldnt believe how simple it was to change zones :D 

Plus seeing I only paid $298 for the unit when the Goodguys had a sale in Jan total cost of the now modded unit is less than $500. that is great value for money

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2017 at 9:58 PM, Quark said:

Hi Bernie,

If your TV has UHD HDMI Colour set to On, turn it off. This will still produce all the colour depth on current UHD discs.

If no change (or its already Off) try turning off HDMI DEep Colour in your player.

If those don't work let us know the current HDMI Colour Format settings in the player and the Colour Space settings in the TV.

In February I had problems with picture and sound freezing. I replaced my receiver and I thought it was solved.

But the three new "Mummy" movies from Universal have the same freezing problem as I used to have with the Storks and Sully movies.

I am completely mystified as to the cause of this problem.

I have tried turning HDMI Deep Colour off in the player, and UHD HDMI Colour set to Off in the TV but it is no better.

Where do I find the Colour Space settings in the TV ?

Edited by bernievink

6 hours ago, bernievink said:

In February I had problems with picture and sound freezing. I replaced my receiver and I thought it was solved.

But the three new "Mummy" movies from Universal have the same freezing problem as I used to have with the Storks and Sully movies.

I am completely mystified as to the cause of this problem.

I have tried turning HDMI Deep Colour off in the player, and UHD HDMI Colour set to Off in the TV but it is no better.

Where do I find the Colour Space settings in the TV ?

Given your earlier problems were sorted with the new receiver, this sounds like a disc compatibility issue - probably with your player. Might be worth having a look over on AVS to see if anyone else with the Samsung has the same issues.

4 hours ago, Quark said:

Given your earlier problems were sorted with the new receiver, this sounds like a disc compatibility issue - probably with your player. Might be worth having a look over on AVS to see if anyone else with the Samsung has the same issues.

Thank you Quark, will have a look at AVS for help.

On 5/19/2017 at 10:48 AM, bernievink said:

Thank you Quark, will have a look at AVS for help.

After much reading at AVS I decided to change the cabling behind my home theater again (must be the 4th time now)

I now have two very short 1 meter 4K HDMI cables, one from player to TV, the other from player to Receiver.

And once again split the audio and video signals from the player into separate streams.

This seems to have solved the problem for the "mummy" movies.

I will need to go back to test "storks & Sully" again later and see if they still work OK.

1 hour ago, bernievink said:

After much reading at AVS I decided to change the cabling behind my home theater again (must be the 4th time now)

I now have two very short 1 meter 4K HDMI cables, one from player to TV, the other from player to Receiver.

And once again split the audio and video signals from the player into separate streams.

I will need to go back to test "storks & Sully" again later and see if they still work OK.

Good to hear you've got it sorted Bernie. :)

5 hours ago, bernievink said:

Bandwidth is a problem with some of these very high mbps uhd streams Bernie ; the video passthrough capabilities of the avr is very important anecdotally it seems ..

Good theres a workaround :)