The Official 4K Ultra H D - Blu Ray Thread

you personalised the issue. how do you know they aren't buying with careful accumulation of MANY years of saving.

You just have to be joking. You were the one who decided to personalise the issue. I never commented about ANYTHING remotely to do with you. Comments like this do not do you justice.

cevo I think I'll pass, you re just arguing against yourself ! :D read your last post and then read your one initially if you like :D the reason people posted about revenant is you can actually buy the damn thing. unlike jb where you cant and even if you do you paying more. more than even ezydvd has it listed for.

I'm not arguing, You said there was no point in posting about pricing, which I disagree with, and told you why, simple.

As for your comment about the Revenant in the post am responding to, I think you are having trouble comprehending what I meant, because I agreed with you:

"The Revenant isn't available to purchase on any format in Australia yet (whereas catalogue titles such as X-Men: Days of Future Past are, and many already own them), and it's cheaper to purchase the UHD Blu-ray/Blu-ray from overseas than it is to pre-order it here."

You also seem to have a bit of negative view about JB HiFi.

Edited by Cevolution

I'm going to pass mrc you are obviously looking for a barnie and am not buying...i'll go buy some uhds instead. enjoy...

Al ... you are a very knowledgeable member of this forum. However you clearly over-stepped the mark and it would have been better to admit to it.

I'm not arguing, You said there was no point in posting about pricing, which I disagree with, and told you why, simple.

As for your comment about the Revenant in the post am responding to, I think you are having trouble comprehending what I meant, because I agreed with you:

"The Revenant isn't available to purchase on any format in Australia yet (whereas catalogue titles such as X-Men: Days of Future Past are, and many already own them), and it's cheaper to purchase the UHD Blu-ray/Blu-ray from overseas than it is to pre-order it here."

I also seem to have a bit of negative view about JB HiFi.

we agree on both points then as my point was rhetorical i.e. no point posting about discs you can't buy then is there …. if supposedly according to you people shouldn't be buying discs if you don't have a player :D

never mind …. :)

as to my view about jb…just telling it like it is …their pricing is crock these days i.e. more than other retailers …used to be the cheapest….and have to now wait for their 20% off sales instead. and yeah equipment wise and one release they seem lagging.

if you drop them a line they don't even bother responding..not sure what is up with jb …but they aren't what they used to be.

we agree on both points then as my point was rhetorical i.e. no point posting about discs you can't buy then is there …. if supposedly according to you people shouldn't be buying discs if you don't have a player :D

never mind …. :)

as to my view about jb…just telling it like it is …their pricing is crock these days i.e. more than other retailers …used to be the cheapest….and have to now wait for their 20% off sales instead. and yeah equipment wise and one release they seem lagging.

if you drop them a line they don't even bother responding..not sure what is up with jb …but they aren't what they used to be.

No, we don't agree on both points. If you order something today from Amazon that's available now in the U.S. market, you still have to wait weeks for the item/s to be delivered (unless you pay a premium for express), no? Point being, if someone was to order The Amazing Spider-man 2 UHD Blu-ray from Amazon this second, they would receive it around the same time that the local release comes out, but would pay more for the U.S version.

Many have stated that they don't have their UHD players yet (and won't have them for weeks) but are still purchasing the discs, so therefore, for these people, why not wait a few weeks to pick up some of the catalogue titles (so anything other than new releases such as The Revenant) locally, if it means saving some money?

As for JB, I'm sure my collection is larger than yours, and therefore have more experience purchasing movies from them. I always love when I come across someone on Blu-ray.com that consistently has digs at JB, often they make claims which are easy to bebunk, and I have had some fun doing this over the years ;). Don't get me wrong, sometimes JB deserve to be bad mouthed, however, there are some people that just love to whinge for the sake of it (it's not much different to those that are always complaining about the studios). Maybe if you purchased in store rather than online, you would have a better rapport and experiences with them, like I have ;):)

Edit: Inserted a word into the only sentence in the second paragraph.

Edited by Cevolution

Well I have a 4K hisence and that's in the wrong room and I don't like it but eventually I will buy something around the 80 inch plus mark with an oppo player whenever it comes out., I have no 4K player but what I want to do is where a new movie comes out instead of paying $29 at jb I prefer to pay $50 for the 4K version with the bluray so by this I will save money and avoid buying the same movie over and over again but if I can get a collection of 4K movies over at Amazons and they cost me around $40 or less each to my door then I will also go this way. I will pick the way to do it as time goes on but ATM i'm not in a hurry.

Whats the rush people...I do remember the same thing happen to bluray and have the conversation with my sister who collected dvd that there is no way i'm paying 40 back(back then) for a bluray.Plus the selection of movies was poor.OMG its ground hog day!

That didn't last long and within a few years prices came back to near dvd levels.

Its all a cycle!

mixo

P.s I just hope they keep them region free so we can buy them anywhere that has the best price on the day.

P.s.s Yes I get the early adopters and their new toys..

Edited by mixo

word to the wise, a couple of points here

• there is still an underlying format war going on behind the scenes and UHD hardware isnt a guaranteed option that will be available to us. What if Samsung suddenly pull out due to "ongoing development and compatibility issues" with their experimental first generation player? The studios wont like that sort of thing as they are a major player now. Samsung can easily use their television apps to provide UHD streamed content so the scales would shift dramatically if only one of them blinks
  • remember the early days of BR hardware competition ? FREE DISCS IN EVERY PLAYER or INTRODUCTORY FORMAT REDEMPTION OFFER ... sound familiar and plausible

FOR SALE

Kingsman UHD 4K disc ...

Reason for sale ... surplus to needs

Price ... $0.20 including shipping

Paid $50+, imported copy, exactly the same as the one everyone else got who bought a player

word !!

:)

Wow, I leave you girls alone for an hour and DTV has more posts in that hour than the whole of this month :)

IMO, I don't I am a fool to buy first, watch later, but on the same vein, I bought Martian on BR since it only has a 2k source, but I also bought Revenant on 4k since I figure it was well recorded. It's still the same, be it a CD, BR or tape! Crap in, crap out..

But since Martian was cheap - USD 10, I'll buy it first, then sell / give it away and pay $20 at Big W for the 4k when 4k gets cheaper. Which I know it will!

Anyway good men of DTV, it's all good either way, and let's just enjoy the hobby :hyper:

Whats the rush people...I do remember the same thing happen to bluray and have the conversation with my sister who collected dvd that there is no way i'm paying 40 back(back then) for a bluray.Plus the selection of movies was poor.OMG its ground hog day!

That didn't last long and within a few years prices came back to near dvd levels.

Its all a cycle!

mixo

P.s I just hope they keep them region free so we can buy them anywhere that has the best price on the day.

P.s.s Yes I get the early adopters and their new toys..

Yep... not to mention many of the first release blurays were shite and had to be reissued... massive DNR, rubbish upscales etc.

All good things come to those that wait. ;)

JSmith :ninja:

I will be waiting for the price to come down(of discs, yes $5 disc would be nice but I am not holding my breath), but more importantly let the format mature, let the early adopters work out the issues, so when I buy in its a mature product.Yes I do remember that HD format..

in a few years we will be going what is all the fuss about..

mixo

Heads up, I discovered last night that The Revenant UHD despite what it says on the packaging comes with a region free (or at least Region A & B ) coded BD companion disc.The BD copy plays no problem in my region B BD player. Someone else posted that The Martian also worked in region B so I got curious and tested The Revenant out. I'll check out the rest of my US sourced discs over the weekend and see if the same applies.

Edited by mattis

Heads up, I discovered last night that The Revenant UHD despite what it says on the packaging comes with a region free (or at least Region A & B ) coded BD companion disc.The BD copy plays no problem in my region B BD player. Someone else posted that The Martian also worked in region B so I got curious and tested The Revenant out. I'll check out the rest of my US sourced discs over the weekend and see if the same applies.

good to check the others mattis :)

in std blu-rays from the us,

revenant is classed as region A and B locked

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Revenant-Blu-ray/123436/#Review

the martian is also region free

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Martian-Blu-ray/120091/

hence both uhd are safe getting from us as come with blu-rays that play on our region b players :)

A short while ago a member pointed out in one of the UHD Blu-ray threads in the Australian sub-forum on Blu-ray.com, that Sanity have new listings for Ghostbusters. Both listings are currently showing as being Ghostbusters 2 Blu-ray's (and don't show up in the list if you search 'UHD'), not Ghostbusters 1 & 2 UHD Blu-ray's, however the catalogue code for each reads - 'BDUHD10488' (and also states 1984 for year of release) & 'BDUHD11754'. They are also scheduled for the same local release date as some of the other Sony UHD titles, and are the same price $26.99, therefore these are likely the local releases of Ghostbusters 1 & 2 UHD Blu-ray's:

http://www.sanity.com.au/products/2311576/Ghostbusters_2_Pg_1984

http://www.sanity.com.au/products/2311575/Ghostbusters_2_Pg_1986

Edited by Cevolution

Mello ; certainly uhd bluray will only ever be a niche format for those who have heard of it - not joe blow :) . It exists partly because the internet isnt up to streaming the hi bandwidth necessary to satisfy the people who have bought a 4k tv and have nothing to play on it .

Ime curious where those quotes came from as they dont have a grasp of what is available - the pana ub900 has no problem streaming 4k netflix or 4k amazon ; the samsung is crippled in this respect to sd but a firmware upgrade could easily come ; as has at least one already for compatability..

Yeah they give a way freebies whenever a new format is introduced ; remember avatar and that monsters movie being tied in with the initial samsung and panasonic 3d players ; what a coincidence their doing it again :thumbsup: Heres a good read of the attitudes of the BDA to the new format

https://www.avforums.com/article/the-bda-discuss-the-latest-on-ultra-hd-blu-ray.11917

word to the wise, a couple of points here

• there is still an underlying format war going on behind the scenes and UHD hardware isnt a guaranteed option that will be available to us. What if Samsung suddenly pull out due to "ongoing development and compatibility issues" with their experimental first generation player? The studios wont like that sort of thing as they are a major player now. Samsung can easily use their television apps to provide UHD streamed content so the scales would shift dramatically if only one of them blinks
  • remember the early days of BR hardware competition ? FREE DISCS IN EVERY PLAYER or INTRODUCTORY FORMAT REDEMPTION OFFER ... sound familiar and plausible
Edited by cwt

Ime curious where those quotes came from as they dont have a grasp of what is

i made them up, how else would they appear to not have a grasp of what is (lol)

i used inverted commas to imply a hypothetical scenario where one or more hardware manufacturers might decide "its just not worth it" ... (see what i did there)

my point entirely was... lets not get too hasty buying discs as, number one, the debate of hardware players vs streaming hasnt been totally finalised and decided as to whether it will be one or the other or both. (My guess is both will probably prevail in the short term), and number two, be aware of stockpiling early adopter discs redundantly as there will probably be some free inclusions in boxes in the months to come

i strongly support player and disc, i really cant get my head around paying for bandwidth on top of paying for the movie, on top of download hardware like a PC or whatever

let the discs spin freely !!!!

stock-vector-discus-thrower-evolution-35
Edited by mello yello

I wonder if the Neanderthals sat back and bagged the Homo Sapiens for being early adapters.

Homo S always find a way to prevail (over Neanderthals) :)

evolution_discus_thrower_bumper_sticker-
not even a Neanderthal can stop progress, its all digital and PC now ;-)
Edited by mello yello