The Official 4K Ultra H D - Blu Ray Thread

Where are you getting the UK Panny from?

Amazon UK, supplied and shipped by Amazon EU. I managed to get it at the newer reduced price of GBP 499.17 (ex VAT) too which means it ships in under the AU$1K threshold. Was a bit of a battle to get Amazon to adjust the price but persistence paid off. There is some confusion because the original Amazon shipped item goes to a Tech Nuts supplied unit now who won't ship to Australia.

good work mattis, yes do let us know re the pana, only place I found shipping it has a 1-2 month lead time. though i suspect you got in a lot earlier by the sounds :)

Yeh I ordered on April 21st when it was 2-4 weeks lead time (and at a higher price since adjusted down). It still says it will arrive between May 12th and May 20th (Global Priority shipping)

I posted this in another topic but is kind of relevant to this topic too

Does anyone know if JB or any other retailers to trade ups for OLED TV's?

Would prefer the HDR 65EF950T over the 65EG960T seeing 4K Bluray players say your TV needs to be HDR or it's waste of time watching 4K Blurays on a TV that's not HDR even if it is 4K.

Or is that a myth and 4K Blurays are far superior to 1080p Blurays on the 65EG960T even without HDR?

Good luck with making that happen. You'd be better pushing LG directly.

As to the myth, somewhat true but it really comes down to the quality of the transfer and how close you sit to what size screen. HDR done well is another step up even at 1080p nevermind 4K. Quite a number of the current UHD disc releases are 4K upscales from a 2K master meaning the improvement is minimal beyond any HDR brought over. HoweverThe Revenant for example comes from a 4K master and by all reports is jaw dropping and while it also has HDR I suspect that even without it at 4K it would still look good. If I had a player already I could tell you but right now I just have the disc sitting here waiting :/

Yeh I ordered on April 21st when it was 2-4 weeks lead time (and at a higher price since adjusted down). It still says it will arrive between May 12th and May 20th (Global Priority shipping)

thanks Mattis for confirming :)

Hey guys as a basic example if you were buying one 4k blu ray movie from Amazon US for $29 US dollars (38.16 AU @ today's rate) and you took the slowest and or the cheapest shipping what would you expect that one 4k movie would cost you by the time the movie was delivered to your door. Also if you purchased 2 or four 4K movies how much would you expect to save from buying them overseas vrs buy them @ $50 each from JB's.

Hey guys as a basic example if you were buying one 4k blu ray movie from Amazon US for $29 US dollars (38.16 AU @ today's rate) and you took the slowest and or the cheapest shipping what would you expect that one 4k movie would cost you by the time the movie was delivered to your door. Also if you purchased 2 or four 4K movies how much would you expect to save from buying them overseas vrs buy them @ $50 each from JB's.

You do know you can actually go to the site and go to the checkout with your items and you see the cost before paying

They charge $5USD for the first item, and $2USD for each BD after that. Can get a bit pricey once you add in conversion... best to buy a heap at once. :)

JSmith :ninja:

revenant is cheap $24.99usd over at amazon compared to local :) but again bundle in with some other stuff otherwise will pay too much for just shipping it on its own :)

we do have the odd cheapy local but overall ezydvd seems cheapest not charing the $50. jb is saying shipped only i.e. no pickup so have to add their shipping cost to their pricing :) perhaps will change when they actually start stocking them.

also keep in mind some discs are being bundled in with players so down buy those if they plan to sell bundled here (no word on that ) or buying overseas where bundled.

we do have the odd cheapy local but overall ezydvd seems cheapest not charing the $50. jb is saying shipped only i.e. no pickup so have to add their shipping cost to their pricing :) perhaps will change when they actually start stocking them.

All of the UHD titles that have so far been announced for our market are currently cheaper to purchase locally over Amazon, other than the Fox ones.

The Warner Brothers/Roadshow titles are $19.98-$24.98 on JB's site, and the Sony ones can be had for $24.99-26.99 on Sanity's site.

JB will have stock on their store shelves very soon, stock didn't get ordered for their stores until yesterday.

Edit: Extended the first sentence by a few words.

Edited by Cevolution

revenant is cheap $24.99usd over at amazon compared to local :) but again bundle in with some other stuff otherwise will pay too much for just shipping it on its own :)

There is also the small matter of The Revenant not being due for release here until May 18th whilst it was released in the USA 9 days ago ;) The price on this disc dropped after mine shipped so Amazon gave me a refund for the difference.

Edited by mattis

All of the UHD titles that have so far been announced for our market are currently cheaper to purchase locally over Amazon, other than the Fox ones.

The Warner Brothers/Roadshow titles are $19.98-$24.98 on JB's site, and the Sony ones can be had for $24.99-26.99 on Sanity's site.

JB will have stock on their store shelves very soon, stock didn't get ordered for their stores until yesterday.

Edit: Extended the first sentence by a few words.

I looked on Sanity the ONLY available discs right now are all $49.99

I looked on JB hifi…the only available discs…are $49.99 and list as no pickup so add their shipping cost

not sure why you don't mention ezydvd

they have some great pricing some discs for shipping and probably australias cheapest pricing right now if wanting discs shipped to you.

jb is obviously still dragging the chain it would seem with uhd. when are they getting the samsung player ?

jb used to lead for best pricing on discs and were the first with players with blu-ray..where are they now ? lost or couldn't care less or just want to be an also ran ?

There is also the small matter of The Revenant not being due for release here until May 18th whilst it was released in the USA 9 days ago ;) The price on this disc dropped after mine shipped so Amazon give me a refund for the difference.

I got it for a great price bundled in with some other stuff and just paying $2 for shipping. looking forward to mine :)

Went to grab an UHD movie at JB this morning and they guy said their shipment was delayed and it would be delivered probably tomorrow. Went over to Sanity and picked up a copy of Martian. As mentioned they seem to only have one of each. Shame you can't get a player yet...

I looked on Sanity the ONLY available discs right now are all $49.99

I looked on JB hifi…the only available discs…are $49.99 and list as no pickup so add their shipping cost

not sure why you don't mention ezydvd

they have some great pricing some discs for shipping and probably australias cheapest pricing right now if wanting discs shipped to you.

jb is obviously still dragging the chain it would seem with uhd. when are they getting the samsung player ?

jb used to lead for best pricing on discs and were the first with players with blu-ray..where are they now ? lost or couldn't care less or just want to be an also ran ?

Do you have a UHD player? If not, what does it matter what's available right now? Most won't have their players close to when the Warner Brothers/Roadshow titles are released locally, and the Sony ones will be available a couple of weeks after that (accept for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 which is due out in 2 weeks). If people want to save some money, the WB and Sony titles are available for pre-order on jbhifi.com.au and sanity.com.au, and are cheaper than what you can get them for through Amazon at the moment.

As I previously mentionred, the Fox titles that were officially released today will be on JB store shelves very soon, so people will be able to purchase them in store if they want if this is more convenient for them, not just from their online store (therefore minus the delivery charge you mentioned).

As for the Ezydvd.com.au, their prices aren't great IMO. Also, JB will price match them, and JB will likely have them cheaper at some stage soon, particularly if they have a 20% off sale.

I will also say this, IMO people are impatient fools if they pay $50 for them today, especially without a player ;):)

The Fox titles are expensive because they are obviously selling the stock at a high price to Australian retailers, considering other distributors UHD ranges are being sold at roughly half the price, I don't think the Fox titles will stay around the $45-$50 mark for long.

Edit: Inserted a word.

Edited by Cevolution

Do you have a UHD player? If not, what does it matter what's available right now? Most won't have their players close to when the Warner Brothers/Roadshow titles are released locally, and the Sony ones will be available a couple of weeks after that (accept for The Amazing Spider-Man 2 which is due out in 2 weeks). If people want to save some money, the WB and Sony titles are available for pre-order on jbhifi.com.au and sanity.com.au, and are cheaper than what you can get them for through Amazon at the moment.

As I previously mentionred, the Fox titles that were officially released today will be on JB store shelves very soon, so people will be able to purchase them in store if they want if this is more convenient for them, not just from their online store (therefore minus the delivery charge you mentioned).

As for the Ezydvd.com.au, their prices aren't great IMO. Also, JB will price match them, and JB will likely have them cheaper at some stage soon, particularly if they have a 20% off sale.

I will also say this, IMO people are impatient fools if they pay $50 for them today, especially without a player ;):)

The Fox titles are expensive because they are obviously selling the stock at a high price to Australian retailers, considering other distributors UHD ranges are being sold at roughly half the price, I don't think the Fox titles will stay around the $45-$50 mark for long.

Edit: Inserted a word.

on the same token what does it matter what is "announced" who cares. why bother posting anything re price in that case. because people are buying them. thats why. people are buying players overseas. theres atleast one sammy owner here.

calling people "impatient fools" for buying something now is a bit insulting in my opinion. people can do what ever they like. one thing to keep in mind for instance is that the uhd comes with also the blu-ray disc so please respect that in come cases people might be buying to play the blu-ray disc now and have the uhd for when they get a player. my purchase for revenant for instance is purely for this reason. not that I need to go into justification for purchases to anyone.

what happens to pricing from here hence who knows...lets see :)

ps have jb ever price matched for website purchases ? hows that work ? since you cant pick them up or buy instore theyre only web purchases.

I love early adopters...

Reminds me of my youth when I did stupid early adopter things!

Still get excited about new things, but my wallet and brain are in sync now!

From time to time they lose that sync..

mixo

Saved me responding :). I stopped buying blu-rays a few months ago to avoid rebuying movies in UHD. I wanted Martian to watch on blu-ray and I now have a UHD copy for when I get a player. Now that the Panasonic has been announced for September i'm questioning if i'll just wait to replace my Oppo which has a 4k model due at the end of the year.

on the same token what does it matter what is "announced" who cares. why bother posting anything re price in that case. because people are buying them. thats why. people are buying players overseas. theres atleast one sammy owner here.

calling people "impatient fools" for buying something now is a bit insulting in my opinion. people can do what ever they like. one thing to keep in mind for instance is that the uhd comes with also the blu-ray disc so please respect that in come cases people might be buying to play the blu-ray disc now and have the uhd for when they get a player. my purchase for revenant for instance is purely for this reason. not that I need to go into justification for purchases to anyone.

ps have jb ever price matched for website purchases ? hows that work ? since you cant pick them up or buy instore theyre only web purchases.

Al ... I do agree that people will buy whatever is right for them. I do think, however, that the sentiment of the previous post is largely correct, even though I would not have gone so far as to use the term "impatient fools". Reason is that people on this forum DO very often give advice as to what represents value and at the moment I agree that people are diving into UHD a bit too quickly. However, as I have said before, some people on this forum are quite wealthy and so it is ok for them to be an early adopter.

Saved me responding :). I stopped buying blu-rays a few months ago to avoid rebuying movies in UHD. I wanted Martian to watch on blu-ray and I now have a UHD copy for when I get a player. Now that the Panasonic has been announced for September i'm questioning if i'll just wait to replace my Oppo which has a 4k model due at the end of the year.

yep is my thinking as well :)

Al ... I do agree that people will buy whatever is right for them. I do think, however, that the sentiment of the previous post is largely correct, even though I would not have gone so far as to use the term "impatient fools". Reason is that people on this forum DO very often give advice as to what represents value and at the moment I agree that people are diving into UHD a bit too quickly. However, as I have said before, some people on this forum are quite wealthy and so it is ok for them to be an early adopter.

not sure where you going on peoples wealth - I have no idea who on here is "wealthy" or not. and am not sure has much if anything to do with it. if we added up the total sum spent on all the gear in your signature it would amount to a small fortune many would baulk at ...and yet the same will spend more on a boat or jet ski or some stuff for fishing or water skiing or heck even golf, cars, expensive holidays what ever ! each to their own and we make our own value judgements and decide where we spend our precious dollars.

discs are relatively cheap investments and the disc players are relatively affordable too...about half what blu-ray landed at... and a quarter what dvd landed...I know as I was an early adopter then too.

if already have the display. and i suspect many others will, its probably hard to buy a tv thats not labelled as 4k these days.

additionally as per left nut above...people are also thinking ahead ...ie why by the blu-ray when I can buy the uhd.... and I gave an example of revenant as just that :)

there'll always be early adopters, people that join in and some just wont join in... each and everyone can make our own choices thats not what this thread is about :)

not sure where you going on peoples wealth - I have no idea who on here is "wealthy" or not. and am not sure has much if anything to do with it. if we added up the total sum spent on all the gear in your signature it would amount to a small fortune many would baulk at .

Al ... as Malcolm Turnbull would say ... "that comment is not worthy of the honourable member of this forum."

By drawing attention to my signature (and so personalising the issue) you have overlooked a clear fact ... these purchases have been the careful accumulation of MANY years of saving. You may also note that many items in this list are NOT the latest versions e.g. I am very happy to stay with the X3 JVC projector even though many here (and good luck to them) have moved on to the later models. So overall I don't think it is worthy to personalise the issue. I did not mention any names regarding wealth and clearly was not the point of my previous post.

Please stick to the overall thrust of the post.

Edited by Mr C

Your logic doesn't make much sense. Why bother mentioning it? What, don't you think some people that haven't purchased them yet would appreciate knowing that they can get some of them for substantially cheaper (especially considering that they around $40 each, the savings could buy them another few UHD movies), and will have them in their hands in a matter of the weeks, some around the time that they receive their UHD players, the rest a couple of weeks later. Plenty of people are still waiting for their players. Blackman's post this morning in this thread, was about just that, trying to save some money.

By your logic, nobody should be bother posting about upcoming releases, such as Ghostbuster 1 and 2, after all, they are not available to purchase right now, so what does it matter, right?

There clearly isn't many people buying them for $50 locally that are members here, on Blu-ray.com, Stereonet, or Whirlpool, otherwise there would be plenty of comments about it. Most are buying the titles that are $45-

$50 here for cheaper from Amazon. The sites I mentioned in my previous sentence are made up of members that greatly care about Blu-ray bargains (there are plenty of tight arses within this hobby), I guarantee if I was to run a poll, most would vote that in their opinion spending $50 on them is foolish, if you can get them cheaper. I didn't say anything that hasn't been implied or said plenty of times before.

Sure, people can do what ever they like with their money. However for some strange reason, you think they don't deserve to be told that they can purchase titles for cheaper, so that they can make the choice for themselves.

As for the Revenant, I don't see the relevance in you bringing this up. The Revenant isn't available to purchase on any format in Australia yet (whereas catalogue titles such as X-Men: Days of Future Past are, and many already own them), and it's cheaper to purchase the UHD Blu-ray/Blu-ray from overseas than it is to pre-order it here.

Edit: You also seem to be hung up on ordering from JB's website, as if people only purchase from there and not store front. I merely pointed out that people will be able to purchase them in store very soon (I've seen a few comments from people wondering why they aren't on JB store shelves yet, on other websites), for the people that want to purchase them this way, if you don't, and prefer online, then good luck to you.

Edited by Cevolution

cevo I think I'll pass, you re just arguing against yourself ! :D read your last post and then read your one initially if you like :D the reason people posted about revenant is you can actually buy the damn thing. unlike jb where you cant and even if you do you paying more. more than even ezydvd has it listed for.

Al ... as Malcolm Turnbull would say ... "that comment is not worthy of the honourable member of this forum."

By drawing attention to my signature (and so personalising the issue) you have overlooked a clear fact ... these purchases have been the careful accumulation of MANY years of saving. You may also note that many items in this list are NOT the latest versions e.g. I am very happy to stay with the X3 JVC projector even though many here (and good luck to them) have moved on to the later models. So overall I don't think it is worthy to personalise the issue. I did not mention any names regarding wealth and clearly was not the point of my previous post.

Please stick to the overall thrust of the post.

neither is your categorising people as "wealthy" just because they invest in something which in this case here is some discs costing 10s of bucks. you personalised the issue. how do you know they aren't buying with careful accumulation of MANY years of saving. how do you know ? what is it to you quite frankly and who exactly are you to judge ?

buy what ever you want how you want and do whatever you want to be happy. I am sure others are doing the same. if dont want things to be personalised well dont personalise them then !