The Official 4K Ultra H D - Blu Ray Thread

How so? I was trying to help clarify the situation... :blink:

JSmith :ninja:

and you have clarified well. $14.96 USD was actual saving amazon told me I got on my last UHD blu-ray disc purchase. perhaps it is little known as you indicate. at end of it people can believe this is in my imagination or not doesnt bother me. but every uhd blu-ray I have bought got discounted on shipping and I got emails from amazon to indicate :)

good point... its enough for me that amazon sends me an email to clearly state they have price matched with lowest price in the market and telling me the saving I made on my purchase. and this is with no doing from me...at considerable saving over the original listed price that I pre ordered on.

perhaps they exclude muppets from this process ! I really dont know, dont care, dont have the time to be bothered any further !

Again, what you are referring to is Amazon's pre-order price guarantee, this is not the same as them price matching other competitors, this is where your confusion lies. I'm not arguing semantics at all here, they are different things, and Amazon have different policy's for them. What Amazon's pre-order price guarantee entitles you to is: if during the pre-order period they drop their price lower than what it was for the item when you originally placed the pre-order, you receive it for the cheaper price. Their cheapest price isn't automatically determined by what other competitors have dropped their price to, often Amazons cheapest price isn't identical to that of other competitors. Obviously in some cases Amazon choose to match other competitors, in the case of ultra HD Blu-rays they have for some. I also get the emails you are referring to when Amazon have dropped their price during the pre-order period, but nowhere in these emails does it say that the reason is due to the lowering of another competitors price. With this being said, it's a bit uncalled for, for you to refer to others as muppets when you just don't have a complete understanding of Amazon's policies.

As far as I know "The usual Suspects" is not due for a 4K Bluray release as yet... there is a 25th Anniversary Edition that came out in Jan this year though on standard BD;

119774_large.jpg

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Usual-Suspects-Blu-ray/119774/

The local disc of The Usual Suspects has superior PQ to the U.S./U.K. disc, only by a small margin though ;)

Edited by Cevolution

The local disc of The Usual Suspects has superior PQ to the U.S./U.K. disc, only by a small margin though ;)

Unusual... but good news. :) Even the 20th Anniversary Edition not released here, still the same as the previous US release?

My last one I got life of pi shipped at $31 aud...

I pre ordered and Amazon automatically price matched with not sure who but the last one for instance that just shipped was $31 aud landed :)

just to clarify

this would not have been a "price match" but part of Amazon's Pre-Order Price Guarantee

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201133130

who would they have "price matched" to anyway as those items weren't even released ?

and you have clarified well. $14.96 USD was actual saving amazon told me I got on my last UHD blu-ray disc purchase. perhaps it is little known as you indicate. at end of it people can believe this is in my imagination or not doesnt bother me. but every uhd blu-ray I have bought got discounted on shipping and I got emails from amazon to indicate :)

not as a price match though

:)

Unusual... but good news. :) Even the 20th Anniversary Edition not released here, still the same as the previous US release?

The U.S. 20th anniversary edition is the same disc that was previously released there, just repackaged. Their disc (and the UK disc) has an MPEG-2 encode, whereas ours is AVC.

good point... its enough for me that amazon sends me an email to clearly state they have price matched with lowest price in the market and telling me the saving I made on my purchase. and this is with no doing from me...at considerable saving over the original listed price that I pre ordered on.

perhaps they exclude muppets from this process ! I really dont know, dont care, dont have the time to be bothered any further !

No, the email would have stated the price of the market had changed between the time the price was listed to the price at the time the item was shipped and that a reduction was automatically applied, there is no need to call anyone a muppet that is trying to help to point out this simple technical detail to you. There is a huge difference to claiming Amazon price match across the board, and just to clarify that a "price match" means the old price is still advertised, this was a price adjustment due to the shift in the market, across the board, available to everybody

JB HiFi do the same with pre-releases :)

[op post] can we leave Amazon in America now and focus on UHD 4K movies, formats, region coding, hardware, updates news and developments etc [end OP post]

thanks guys

:)

One thing needs no clarification

yeah, that we are going to get ripped off (again)

http://www.kitguru.net/components/optical-drive/anton-shilov/ultra-hd-blu-ray-players-to-cost-two-three-times-more-than-bd-players-panasonic/

Samsung hit the road running with a sub US$400 but it appears Panasonic want to replicate what happened with BluRay and charge 3 times that, and it sounds like they are basing that on how much they can milk it rather than actual operating and research and development costs

and here it is...

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php/topic/214115-panasonic-dmp-ub900-uhd-blu-ray-player/

already twice the price of the Samsung

Edited by mello yello

There is nothing wrong with your television set.

Do not attempt to adjust the picture.

We are controlling transmission.

If we wish to make it louder, we will bring up the volume.

If we wish to make it softer, we will tune it to a whisper.

We can reduce the focus to a soft blur, or sharpen it to crystal clarity.

We will control the horizontal.

We will control the vertical.

For the next hour, sit quietly and we will control all that you see and hear.

You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches ... from the inner mind to... The Outer Limits.

Hollywood blockbusters to take control of your television

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/gadgets-on-the-go/hollywood-blockbusters-to-take-control-of-your-television-20160322-gnp3ew.html

Not satisfied with releasing a director's cut, filmmakers want the next generation of High Dynamic Range movies to override your picture settings to preserve their artistic vision.

Embedded within HDR video is metadata detailing the characteristics of the picture – whether you're watching via a streaming service like Netflix or the upcoming Ultra HD Blu-ray disc standard. When some new HDR-compatible televisions detect HDR content they automatically lock-down most of your advanced picture settings, believing they know what's best.

Taking control of your television to overrule your picture preferences is a contentious issue and the industry is yet to agree on standard practice, says Chris Porter – Hisense's Director of Product Management.

"Content providers are getting pushy, they want to override your settings to decide how your television should look," says Porter – in Australia for the launch of Hisense's new Ultra HD Premium-compatible ULED range of LED televisions.

1458692086033.png
"go ahead, make my calibration"
Edited by mello yello

the sammy looks a bit underdone without a few firmware upgrades ; the philips and pana look more interesting - the philips has all you need for likely less $ than the pana and its got netflix decoding for another uhd source . Ide go for a gb for a aus voltage one :thumbsup:

The Philips Ultra HD Blu-ray player offers built-in HEVC and VP9 decoders for playing Netflix and YouTube 4K content. It also features 4K upscaling for non-4K sources. For the best possible sound, it offers both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio.

Connections include HDMI 2.0a and 1.4a output, Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Ethernet and USB Multimedia.

Any interest in a group buy for the Samsung player? or any of the others for that matter?

I was thinking that if there is enough demand then one of the commercial members may be able to arrange one

I suggested the Samsung as it is the only player widely available at the moment, and probably the 1st model that will be released here. Would be happy to see what could be offered

Five Sony UHD Blu-ray titles are now listed on Ezydvd.com.au, showing a release date of June 2nd. Ezydvd's price for each is currently $39.97. The Titles are:

Chappie

Salt

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Pineapple Express

Smurfs 2