The Official 4K Ultra H D - Blu Ray Thread

just a heads up for anyone who already owns a 4K panel, however cheap or expensive, you have a jump on most of us with online 4K content from Netflix and other sources

http://4k.com/movies/

http://www.cnet.com/news/4k-content-guide-what-to-watch-in-4k-today/

4K TVs are hurtling towards HDTV-level prices at incredible speed but 4K content, at least for now, is only marching forward slowly and very cautiously. While streaming sources of ultra HD are doing this a bit more confidently than many others, the broadcast TV side of the UHD spectrum is really making a slow go of it.

Thus, for the most part, what you’re going to get the most bang for your buck from will either be streaming online content from sources like Netflix and others we mention below or from media set-top box content sources that are specific to certain TV models made by the same companies that create the set-top boxes.

and

A good example of this latter content source is Sony and its 4K media player. It gives your UHD TV (also from Sony) access to the largest single library of UHD movies and entertainment in existence today but the media player itself does cost a pretty load of $500 USD.

but the media player itself does cost a pretty load of $500 USD.

Why would anyone buy a standalone player at such great expense when any decent HTPC, even an Intel NUC with an attached USB bluray player with BD-XL support will be able to play the discs and/or rip them and be far more versatile in what you can do with it (and not be crippled with restrictions etc)?

I am referring to HDCP and all the stupid menus/copyright warnings etc that you are forced to wade through to get to the movie. All that is avoided if you rip the disc to hard drive and store on a NAS etc to access from any networked device at any time rather than having to mess around with discs.

I personally can't see the point of standalone DVD/bluray players these days as they are as useful as a standalone VCR.

I am referring to HDCP and all the stupid menus/copyright warnings etc that you are forced to wade through to get to the movie. All that is avoided if you rip the disc to hard drive and store on a NAS etc to access from any networked device at any time rather than having to mess around with discs.

I personally can't see the point of standalone DVD/bluray players these days as they are as useful as a standalone VCR.

yeah but then you buy a disc and cant watch it as forced to wait till its ripped etc ?

am actually other way around and sold off my perfectly good media player as find I much rather buy a disc pop in the player and start watching :)

yeah but then you buy a disc and cant watch it as forced to wait till its ripped etc ?

It's not much of a wait ~10mins or so. Driving back from the shops takes longer than that and much less time than the week or more it takes for a mail order to arrive.

Once ripped and copied to NAS it is instantly available to any networked device or can be copied to a portable device for viewing offsite. For me blurays aren't a playback medium, they are just a convenient way to transfer a huge amount of data to my local network faster than the internet will allow (due to bandwidth/quota reasons).

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1490218-blu-ray-4k-uhd-coming-2015-a-135.html#post41027450

Whatever your poison I wouldnt want to tick Hollywood off or your player might be checking your discs via the web :fear: Note the iniquitous regime on bd rom drives ; fantastic . I wonder how long it will take to crack the DRM :pinch:

But it won't play a 4k UHD disc, only upscale a standard blu-ray. So many people are going to buy these thinking they're getting a UHD player only to find they've been conned...

But it won't play a 4k UHD disc, only upscale a standard blu-ray. So many people are going to buy these thinking they're getting a UHD player only to find they've been conned...

well spotted, i noticed that after i looked closer after i linked it

i included the link thinking it was the UHD player the article mentioned

this is the actual player here

http://4k.com/devices/a-review-of-the-sony-fmpx10-4k-ultra-hd-media-player/

Sony FMPX10 4K Ultra HD Media Player

the point was current access to online 4K content

It's not much of a wait ~10mins or so. Driving back from the shops takes longer than that and much less time than the week or more it takes for a mail order to arrive.

Once ripped and copied to NAS it is instantly available to any networked device or can be copied to a portable device for viewing offsite. For me blurays aren't a playback medium, they are just a convenient way to transfer a huge amount of data to my local network faster than the internet will allow (due to bandwidth/quota reasons).

very strange line of argument. because to rip the disc you still need to wait for it to come from where ever you might be getting it from !

the difference is while once I have the disc I will pop in my player and have it up and running in few minutes...while you will be popping in disc drive and waiting 10 minutes for it to rip and then start viewing.

so you cant be bothered going through what couple of minutes of previews or whatever junk at the start of a movie. and I cant be bothered having to wait 10 minutes to wait for something to rip before can watch it ? choose your poison s cwt says ?

I cant be bothered ripping anymore. buy stick in player hit play job done enjoy :)

well spotted, i noticed that after i looked closer after i linked it

i included the link thinking it was the UHD player the article mentioned

this is the actual player here

http://4k.com/devices/a-review-of-the-sony-fmpx10-4k-ultra-hd-media-player/

Sony FMPX10 4K Ultra HD Media Player

the point was current access to online 4K content

Looks like it's only a downloading/streaming device with no disc playback. That's consistent with Sony's push for a move away from discs to a pay per view model - they can shove that.

Edited by Quark

yep they can shove that….

ironically sony is having a bet each way...

their studio arm sony pictures is releasing ultra hd blu-rays….

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/6/10723086/sony-pictures-ultra-hd-blu-ray-dolby-atmos

their company just won't have anything to play them on. a bit silly.

also dissaointing as a company they have always been leaders, but looks like this time they will be followers.

their media player from all accounts overseas is garbage. very un user friendly and frustrating in use. and this is from quite technically minded people so yeah I for one rather have no bar of it. prefer an open platform that allows playback from all studios rather than what they only have access to and needing an internet connection to feed it !

Be honest, how many times do you bring a disc home and play it straight away?

How many times do you bring a disc home and rip it straight away....same argument.

Horses for courses, give me the physical media any day.