The Official 4K Ultra H D - Blu Ray Thread

The new version of HDCP employed on 4K BD's may become more annoying that the last version... :hmm:

http://www.techhive.com/article/2881620/4k-content-protection-will-frustrate-consumers-more-than-pirates-meet-hdcp-22.html

"While HDCP 2.2 was developed to defeat media pirates, it has far more potential to thwart ordinary folks who just want to enjoy a movie in the privacy of their home.

In fact, though there are many HDMI 2.0 compliant A/V receivers in stores right now, most do not support the new copy protection."

JSmith :ninja:

"While HDCP 2.2 was developed to defeat media pirates, it has far more potential to thwart ordinary folks who just want to enjoy a movie in the privacy of their home.

The media companies are their own worst enemy. Consumers aren't going to replace their TV's, projectors and AV receivers because some new copy protection scheme is introduced. Consumers will just end up ripping the Bluray discs, copying them to a media player device and playing from that instead.

• 2 weeks later...

So has anyone been able to find out if/when UHD Blu Ray discs will be available in Australia, and if so,how much?

I currently have The Martian and Chappie ( good for a laugh ) in my Amazon US pre-order Cart, but the exchange rate is a killer.

My local JB has never even heard of UHDBR.

So has anyone been able to find out if/when UHD Blu Ray discs will be available in Australia, and if so,how much?

Nah not sure yet Dave, however I'd imagine very soon...we hope? :D

Pulp Fiction is something I'd love to see a 4K UHD release of as I believe it was scanned in 4K previously... it's such an excellent movie. :)

Thanks to the Mods for pinning this thread. Hopefully it will become very active from 01/03/2016 ( at least that's the release date in the US for 4k UHDBR)

Yeah,I know Pulp Fiction polarizes opinion, but it's in my Top Ten of all time as well. Would love to see it in UHDBR. ( Oh, and even without seeing it in 70mm at the cinema, I reckin "Hateful Eight" would be pretty spectacular as well)

Thanks to the Mods for pinning this thread. Hopefully it will become very active from 01/03/2016 ( at least that's the release date in the US for 4k UHDBR)

Yeah,I know Pulp Fiction polarizes opinion, but it's in my Top Ten of all time as well. Would love to see it in UHDBR. ( Oh, and even without seeing it in 70mm at the cinema, I reckin "Hateful Eight" would be pretty spectacular as well)

Wouldn't it not look as good seeing it was shot with different cameras?

I remember James Cameron saying something about Titanic and it wasn't shot with HD cameras so would not look as good as movies now.

It comes down to the quality of the original master and film stock used . A 4k intermediate scan shows the studio cares enough to spend the extra imho :yes:

When was it shot exactly ? ; in the early 70's Hollywood tended to use cheap film stock as they werent flush with funds I understand ..

theres plenty of older movies that were on 70mm and been scanned on 8k. which is probably needed for 4K I would think :)

some examples of 8k scans,

http://in70mm.com/news/2008/baraka_restored/index.htm

also

gone with the wind, north by north west, wizard of oz, lawrence of arabia,

It gets to the point with some older movies where even though a large resolution scan is possible, however MTF is an issue...

its why with some they do a 4k scan instead. I presume they do a test to understand at just what point it isn't getting them more detail.

what is stunning is to see these older films even on blu-ray looking so magnificent. its extensive their back catalog on films they have scanned. from memory sony has been at it for years !!!

its why with some they do a 4k scan instead. I presume they do a test to understand at just what point it isn't getting them more detail.

what is stunning is to see these older films even on blu-ray looking so magnificent. its extensive their back catalog on films they have scanned. from memory sony has been at it for years !!!

Purchased the My Fair Lady 50th anniversary edition a couple of months ago. Restored in 4K from an 8K scan.

Absolutely incredible.

Purchased the My Fair Lady 50th anniversary edition a couple of months ago. Restored in 4K from an 8K scan.

Absolutely incredible.

funny you mention that 709, we too just got our copy in the mail. what a beautiful way its packaged ! we only watched a snippet at the start to check out. glorious. cant wait to watch the rest :)

funny you mention that 709, we too just got our copy in the mail. what a beautiful way its packaged ! we only watched a snippet at the start to check out. glorious. cant wait to watch the rest :)

Psychic stuff! :)

You are in for a treat - and yes, the packaging is beautiful. Very aware of keeping that shiny silver artwork in tact - and scratchless :unsure:

Damn, I'll have to add that to my list and then drive everyone mad singing the songs, as I did in the early 60's!!

Watched Lawrence a couple of nights ago, studying every grain of sand, I'm starting to think that 4K might not be necessary, the 1080P version is glorious but I'm only too happy to be proven wrong. Bearing in mind of course, that I watch my BDs from just over a metre from the screen.

Learnt something new today. Some may be aware of this already.

To find out what the DI of a film is, go to the Cinematic process section of the "Technical specs" section on IMDB,

eg http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3397884/technical?ref_=tt_ql_dt_7

So for Sicario and The Martian it shows a 4k DI. Hopefully this means no 2k upscaling when it comes to the 4k UHDBR release.

Edited by IMDave

Learnt something new today. Some may be aware of this already.

To find out what the DI of a film is, go to the Cinematic process section of the "Technical specs" section on IMDB,

eg http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3397884/technical?ref_=tt_ql_dt_7

So for Sicario and The Martian it shows a 4k DI. Hopefully this means no 2k upscaling when it comes to the 4k UHDBR release.

imdb is an excellent resource dave, its something have been checking myself since found out about it :)

ps just to correct the martian is actually a DI of 2K but is from 4k source and red raw 6K which is all impressive. I think one thing I red someplace even with a 2K source they have done quite a bit with with the remastering for 4k UHD that is going to be worth it in that form :)

+ 1

It's good to have a thread to post all the upcoming releases in one place.

YAY 4K!!!!

:cheer: